Port Orleans Resort Directory - previously “The Sassagoula Times” and “The Sassagoula Sentinel”
The Sassagoula Times was the free information sheet issued to guests staying at the Port Orleans / Dixie Landings Resorts from the resorts’ initial opening in 1992 until the middle of 2009. The publication started as two extremely elaborate eight-page tabloid format (11"x17") newspapers — the Sassagoula Times for Dixie Landings and the Sassagoula Sentinel for Port Orleans — which documented in intricate detail the entire fictional backstory for the two resorts, while also providing guests with relevant information for their stay such as facility opening times and maps.
By 1999, the publications had been reduced to a single four-page tabloid format information sheet, dropping all of the backstory detail and concentrating solely on current guest-relevant information and resort maps.
By 2002, The Sassagoula Times was being issued in a further reduced format, a four-page letter-sized (8.5"x11") handout containing Frequently Asked Questions and general resort operating information for guests. Resort maps were no longer included, instead being provided as a separate letter-sized sheet.
Finally, between May and August of 2009, the last vestiges of the resorts’ former glory were finally laid to rest with the introduction of the current generic “Port Orleans Directory of Services and Resort Map”, a small 3" x 4½" fold-up pamphlet containing the same basic information but in an easy pocket-sized format. Score another victory for the bean-counters over the original story-telling Imagineers.
In 2013, a larger and more informative multi-page Welcome Pack was introduced, and although it is still entirely fact-oriented rather than providing any of the resort’s backstory, it is much easier to browse through. Instead of being given out during the check-in process, this is now provided in each guest room in a blue folder, which is more useful if you are using the new direct-to-room checkin facility.
Here are some samples from recent years to whet your appetite for what’s to come when you arrive at Port Orleans. Please remember that all the information contained within these documents (even in the latest edition here) should be considered ‘historical’ and thus subject to change.
- Port Orleans In-Room Welcome Pack, April 2014 Edition [PDF format, 1.7Mb]
- Port Orleans Directory of Services & Resort Map, January 2011 Edition [PDF format, 1.2Mb]
- Port Orleans Directory of Services & Resort Map, August 2009 Edition [PDF format, 2Mb]
- The Sassagoula Times, January 2009 Edition [PDF format, 3.3Mb] (with thanks to John Miller)
- The Sassagoula Times, 2006 Edition [PDF format, 5.5Mb]
- The Sassagoula Times, 2005 Edition [PDF format, 3.5Mb]
- The Sassagoula Times, 2004 Edition [PDF format, 3.5Mb]
- The Sassagoula Times, 2002 Edition [PDF format, 3.5Mb]
- The Sassagoula Sentinel, 1994 Edition [PDF format, 9.7Mb]
(with grateful thanks to Michael Landman for his kind loan of an early copy of the Sassagoula Sentinel)
Other Useful Resort Documents
- Port Orleans Tariff Card (Room Rates) 2014 [PDF format, 380Kb]
- Port Orleans Resort Map (current six-page version, issued April 2014) [PDF format, 2.8Mb]
- Port Orleans Driving Directions with Map (issued April 2012) [PDF format, 909Kb]
- Port Orleans Resort Map (older one-page version from 2007 onward) [PDF format, 559Kb]
- Port Orleans “Wayfinder” Map [PDF format, 774Kb] (2009 version, was given out for locating rooms)
- Port Orleans Jogging Trail Route [PDF format, 221Kb]
- Walt Disney World Road Map, May 2012 — includes local destinations [PDF format, 205Kb]
Recreation Activities Schedules (including historical)
Please see the Recreation Activities Page.
The following items are still to be scanned, but here are some quick digital snaps of the old larger format Sassagoula Times newspapers from bygone Dixie Landings days.
- Dixie Landings Guest Information Handout, 1999 Page 1
- Dixie Landings Guest Information Handout, 1999 Pages 2-3
- Dixie Landings Guest Information Handout, 1999 Page 4
- The Sassagoula Times, 1996 Page 1
- The Sassagoula Times, 1996 Pages 2-3
- The Sassagoula Times, 1996 Pages 4-5
- The Sassagoula Times, 1996 Pages 6-7
- The Sassagoula Times, 1996 Page 8