The Mardi Gras inspired “Doubloon Lagoon” pool at Port Orleans French Quarter is a lively and fun swimming area with clam shell water jets and a fabulously themed slide in which you emerge from “Scales” the sea serpent’s mouth and slide down its pink tongue into the pool. Sitting atop Scales’ head is a colourful likeness of King Neptune and situated around the pool are comical Mardi Gras characters, many of which include water features and sprays.
There is an adjoining shallow children’s pool and sun beds are located around the poolside area. A short distance away from the main pool you’ll find a jacuzzi hot tub and a welcoming pool bar called Mardi Grogs for the adult aprés-swim time.
Poolside activities are organised daily, weather permitting. A full schedule is posted at the resort and a printed copy should be also provided in your welcome pack — or for this month’s details, please see the Recreation Activities Schedule page.
- Opening hours: 7am until midnight, although it’s not uncommon to still find people swimming well after that.
- Lifeguard duty hours vary by season, and the water features and slide only operate while lifeguards are present.
Generally, lifeguards are on duty from 10am—10pm from the end of May until the end of August, with shorter hours of 10am—8pm during the rest of the year.
- Maximum depth: 4 ft 5 inches (entry is via a gently stepped area)
- Pool volume: 225,000 gallons
- Pool Area: 8,500 square feet
- Maximum capacity: 265 in main pool, 9 in spa
- Pool Temperature: 82 degrees (standard at all Walt Disney World Resorts)
- Length of slide: 51 linear feet
- Water depth at base of slide: 3 ft 6in
- For health and safety reasons, diaper-age children must wear plastic pants or swim diapers
- Showers and coin-operated lockers ($1 in quarters) are available in the restroom area near the pool
- Towel pickup is available at the poolside and there is also a towel drop location
- The pool is available for use by any guests staying at Port Orleans Riverside or Port Orleans French Quarter for the entire duration of their stay (including their arrival and checkout days)
- Safety devices permitted at Walt Disney World resort pools:
- Walt Disney World approved flotation devices, which must be securely attached and supervising adults must remain within arms reach of the person using the device. Life jackets are available at the resorts
- Any US Coast Guard Type II or Type III personal flotation device
- Arm Bands
- Swim Rings (split rings and full rings)
- Beach Balls
- Not permitted at Walt Disney World resort pools:
- Hard Frisbees
- Hard balls
- Plastic Boats
- More substantial life jackets are available from the Riverside Levee marina over at Port Orleans Riverside. These can be kept for the length of your stay at the resort and may also be used at the water parks. Your room number is required, and there will be a $45 charge if you don’t return one
The Mardi Grogs pool bar is open from 11:30am until 9:45pm and serves a variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and snacks in a festive Mardi Gras setting.
Tropical frozen specialty drinks include:
- Sour Apple Freeze: Sprite and sweet and sour blended with Monin Granny Smith Apple
- Pina Colada: Bacardi Razz rum blended with pina colada mix
Port Orleans French Quarter has one Laundry Room located near to the Mardi Grogs pool bar with guest-operated washing and drying facilities — your laundry can be taking care of itself while you take a refreshing dip in the pool or have a drink at the bar. Note: as from April 2013, the washers and dryers at French Quarter now ONLY accept credit/debit cards — you cannot use cash, nor can you pay using your Key to the World card.
Also near the pool bar is the jacuzzi hot tub and a children’s play area.