Just Returned!

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
6daniels

Just Returned!

Unread post by 6daniels »

This was our first time staying at the French Quarter! Also, our first time without kids! Previously, we have stayed at the Riverside, which we love. First impressions were great! Very pretty grounds, small enough to walk to everything! Upon check-in we were given our room and were so disappointed that even though we requested a King bed, we did not receive one. :( We did get a top floor though! Upon arriving in the room, I was disappointed. It seems the rooms are in need of some updates, or perhaps we are spoiled by the Royal Guest rooms at Riverside. Our room had a musty smell that did seem to disappear once we ran the A/C. We also noticed the entry door with a huge gap at the bottom. I had already requested blankets, so I used one of those to help "plug the hole". The other thing we noticed is that it was very noisy here. VERY Noisy. Not just the toilets....everyone opening the doors, walking, and the walls are very thin. We also had trouble checking in for the magical express...seems our airlines give the boys at airline check-in some trouble, so we were unable to check our luggage at the resort. Also, if you are leaving early....make coffee in your room because even though they have made coffee at the quick service at the resort....they will not let you have any until 6 am and food starts at 7. Everyone here was friendly though! Still love the jogging path between here and the Riverside...so pretty! Makes my run so much more enjoyable!! In summary....if you are wondering whether to stay at the French Quarter or the Riverside....go with the Riverside! Just my personal opinion though! :)
pdrazine

Re: Just Returned!

Unread post by pdrazine »

:lol: We stayed at Riverside in 2010 and 2011 and tried French Quarter in '12. I agree with your preference--we are going back to Riverside this year!
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

I understand personal preferences completely. But I gotta say that our second stay here at FQ (the first was a couple of years ago) may make me reconsider my preference for POR. See my report on our current visit. :D
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Riverside is my favourite too, but I do suspect a few of those comments may be a bit subjective or isolated incidents. For example all rooms at POFQ and POR were refurbished at the same time (well, it took more than a year to get them all done, but they have all been done recently) and the build quality and wall thickness are basically the same in all of the rooms at POFQ and POR. And the food court does not open until 6am (and hot food counters from 7am) so I'm not entirely surprise about not being able to get drinks there before that time.

However if you booked a King Bed and did not get one, I would definitely have kicked up a fuss (you did book that room category, right? You know it's not a request, it's a paid booking option?)

Which airline did you have trouble with for the Airline Checkin service by the way?

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
6daniels

Unread post by 6daniels »

Hi Andre! Just saw your post! I suppose that we could have made a fuss, we didn't feel it was that big of an issue for us as we were excited to be there! Yes, we had booked that way. We flew Southwest, however on our return trip the first leg of the flight was on AirTrans (SW subsidiary), and it seems that the computers were not allowing the check-in people to check people in who started out on AirTrans. Sometimes it would let them, and sometimes not. We were told they were trying to get this fixed, so hopefully they have by now! Just kind of a pain, but I do have to say that MCO makes it very smooth to check in! I wasn't aware of the wall thickness....just seemed a lot more noisy to us for some reason...maybe because we didn't have our kids with us this time! :) Heading back in August with kids to Riverside!!
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Maybe even see you there - we'll be at POR from 21-31 August this year too. I'm flying with United, so I'm hoping to take advantage of the new International airline check-in facility then.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -