POFQ Building 4

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
jreeves

POFQ Building 4

Unread post by jreeves »

When I booked my trip to WDW and accommodations at POFQ I did not request a type of room, just a King size bed. I thought that whatever room we had would be nice. However, after reading posts on this forum and other blogs regarding room with a nice view, I decided to call and see if I could upgrade my room. We are going October 11th through October 18, 2014. I found out that all the river view rooms are booked, as are the king rooms with a garden view. After looking at all the building floor plans, process of elimination puts me in Building 4, probably facing the parking lot :(. The upside is that is the proximity to the food court and bus stop, however, it looks rather plain. Does anyone have insight? Thanks.
MardiGroggy

Re: POFQ Building 4

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

I think your analysis of the king bed rooms is about the same as mine, which is why my room request for our visit in September specifically says: "any building except #4." That is the only one that appears to have king rooms with a parking lot view. Most of the king rooms (over 90%, I think I figured once) at FQ have either a pool, garden or river view, but they don't list them as such when doing the booking. Not in my experience, at least. The king bed type trumps everything else (location-wise), and then it is a matter of luck, or your additional specific room request(s) that you make directly to the hotel. Rooms are not actually assigned until just before your arrival, so it would not be possible for anyone to tell you (correctly) that the garden or river view king rooms are already booked for your October visit. Those king rooms won't be assigned until a day or so before you arrive. Availability will depend on who is already there before you on the same, or overlapping dates. I would suggest that you follow the procedures outlined elsewhere on this site regarding making specific room "requests." I have also had good luck with phoning in my requests to the Disney reservations number and having the CM add my requests in my reservation "comments" section. (You don't have the option of doing that with an on-line booking, but the CMs can do it for you, once your reservation is in the system.) Requests are just that (not guaranteed), but the odds of a FQ king room having a decent, meaning a non-parking lot, view are very good, based on the locations of all the king rooms. I've never had a "bad" king room at FQ, but I agree that a parking lot view would be disappointing. You are also correct that Bldg. 4 is close to the main building/bus stop, but FQ is small enough that there are only short walks to anywhere on the property. That is one of the nice things about FQ over other locations. In any case, good luck and pixie dust to you!
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
jreeves

Unread post by jreeves »

Thank you SWD for your reply. I did find a few (not many) actual pictures other people have posted around building 4 and the views do look nice. I guess I will just have to wait and be surprised. It's Disney, I'm sure any location will be "Magical".
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Well, you don't "have" to only be surprised. As I mentioned, you can still fax (or call) in your room requests, as outlined elsewhere on this site. Most times that does at least increase the odds that you will get some, if not all, of the features you want. It never hurts to ask! Also, there is a link somewhere in the Trip Planning forum that goes to a site that has photos of the view from every room at Port Orleans. Checking the room type maps and those photos, though a little time consuming, should put your mind at ease. There are only a few king rooms at FQ that actually have a parking lot view. I've checked all that in the past, and that is why I prefer to just avoid Bldg. 4. All the other FQ king rooms are just fine as far as I'm concerned.
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Yes, King View rooms do "trump" everything else, so by booking "King Bed" you could get any King room in the resort - even ones with river or pool views.

I'd put in a simple request for a "nice view, not parking lot" to keep your options as open as possible, maybe adding "a river or pool view would be wonderful if that's possible".

But even the parking lot views really aren't that bad (although a river view is better of course!)

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
jreeves

Unread post by jreeves »

Thank you again for your responses. I phoned in a room request for my stay. Then I realized that maybe I'm one of the people the room is booked for. Sounds strange. Anyway, 49 days and counting.
ra_muti

Unread post by ra_muti »

I'll be checking in the 11th as well! When I did online reservations I did request "close to transportation" but at this point I really don't care what kind of room....as long as I'm in Disney! :D
Kimieko

Unread post by Kimieko »

I made reservations last week for September 2015 for a king bed and I had to choose either a Garden View or River view, not just a king room.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

That's new, perhaps they've caught on to the loophole?

[Edit]

Odd, I can't see any such options, I just see Standard, Garden, Preferred(POR), Pool, King & River - nothing for King+River or King+Garden etc. Where did you book it, and at what point were you offered the options? (You can make requests of course, but that's not the same as a booking option).

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -