Just got back

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
mmexpress

Just got back

Unread post by mmexpress »

Our stay was from 1/20 to 1/25 and we had a great trip, parks were busy...lots of tour groups but still manageable.
The resort was great as always despite alot of refurbishing going on, the rear of the main building between Jackson Square
store and Floatworks food court was completely closed off...got a peek inside and all of the concrete was torn out leaving nothing but dirt and palm trees. (Andre has pics)
Building 6 was also closed off for an exterior repaint, and some portions of sidewalk were being replaced outside of building 2.

We had a second story room at the rear corner of building 7 (river view) great location amazingly quiet and a short walk over to Riverside, will definitely request this location in the future.

Free wifi was not so good for the first couple of days so I plugged in to in room ethernet and was not charged for it.
The cast was nice as always, never have had a rude cast member at either French Quarter or Riverside.
Was actually able to walk up to Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch and on another day Tony's for dinner, we rarely make adr's, we just wing it.

Already thinking about another trip to French Quarter as it has become our favorite resort....If I think of anything else I'll be sure to post it, and if there is a question feel free to ask and I'll do my best at answering.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just got back

Unread post by Admin »

Thanks for the updates and the photos.

What was the problem with the wi-fi, was it in establishing a connection in the first place, or access speed once connected? And if the cabled connection is now free that's good news in case the wi-fi drops out. I wonder if the ethernet cable is now connected to the same switches/hubs that the wi-fi access points are routed via, rather than to the old Smart City broadband system?

I'll add the pics to a Guest Gallery too, but in the meantime here are small versions for viewing:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
mmexpress

Unread post by mmexpress »

The wireless connection to their hub was good, full strength...There was just no internet connection.
If I remember correctly the connection speed was 54k
disneygirl

Unread post by disneygirl »

When we were there last March (stayed offsite but had to go back to visit) we actually did think that the pavement outside the floatworks was in need of doing. It was looking a tad cracked in places and was lifting up by the trees etc..it was all looking a bit shabby to what it used to. Glad they are doing it now as its such a pretty little resort with a good reputation.

Also learnt that to stay off resort is not the way to go...!! Will not do it again!
First Visit to POFQ May 1995
Off site in Kissimmee June 1996 (never again)
POR nearly every year since although we did go to Wilderness Lodge one year which was also really nice.
Off site LBV this year 2011 (Wyndham LBV - was just OK but never again)
Disneyland Paris - too many times to count but prob about 20 (not a patch on WDW)
The hubby has been to Disneyland California but was too young to really remember much.
nicklesm17

Unread post by nicklesm17 »

wow andre, that looks terrible. i sure hope this is all cleaned up w/ no noticeable changes come our october trip. man, it almost hurt to see pics like that!
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

nicklesm17 wrote:man, it almost hurt to see pics like that!
To be honest, I'd prefer that they keep the place properly maintained - and that unfortunately necessitates closures every once in a while, and they do try to board the construction area off so it impacts as little as possible on guests. They did the same at POR a couple of years ago with the area between the lobby and the marina. I'm sure it'll look as good as new (hopefully better) once they're done; this doesn't look like a simple patch-up job, but a complete re-lay.

Of course, like most people, the usual selfish logic applies that I'm fine with work being done as long as it's not while I happen to be there! :)

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
snikreps

Unread post by snikreps »

Admin wrote:usual selfish logic applies that I'm fine with work being done as long as it's not while I happen to be there!
Any chance it will be finished prior to May 8th? :D

77Days, 15Hours, 13Min, 14Sec
but who's counting!?
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

snikreps wrote:Any chance it will be finished prior to May 8th? :D
Absolutely, should be all done in the next three weeks.

Andre
fireteamleader

Unread post by fireteamleader »

Where can I find pictures of the newly remodeled areas? The area with the palm trees to be specific! :)
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Last I heard they were still finishing up on the work, I've not heard that the construction walls are down yet. Can't be long though, they'd want it all done before Easter.

Andre
snikreps

Unread post by snikreps »

I can report that the construction dust has settled at FQ and everything looked GREAT!! We just got home yesterday (5/16/12 ~ pics coming soon).
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Sorry I didn't come back to this thread when I Updated the main News post. Yes, all done a bit before Easter:

Looking forward to seeing a new trip report or photos though!

Andre