My recent stay

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
chris m

My recent stay

Unread post by chris m »

We have just returned from POR and had a great time as usual. The only thing that grated this time was the intrusively loud "Down by the Riverside" song, every hour on the hour. I didn't see anyonehaving a 'great time' during it and to be honest I tried as much as I could to avoid going in there when it was on. It is definitely not in keeping with the nature of the hotel and the theme. Is there a similar thing going on in all of the hotels or are we just unlucky?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: My recent stay

Unread post by Admin »

I actually quite like the song itself, it's kinda fun, but I find the over-enthusiastic spiel before it rather irritating every hour, especially once you've heard it once and you realise it's just a recording. I feel I'm quite capable of having a good time without being ordered to do so!

It's automated by the way, the staff cannot control when it kicks in, nor defer it during very busy times, etc.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
WyoDisney

Unread post by WyoDisney »

Where is the played? At the pool, at the Riverside mill, at the buildings?
Trust in the Lord and lean not to your own understanding.

Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

WyoDisney wrote:Where is the played? At the pool, at the Riverside mill, at the buildings?
In the Riverside Mill. They get the kids to dance along in a little procession with tambourines, etc. It's great fun... the first time. But every hour, after two weeks there, it starts to grate a bit.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
WyoDisney

Unread post by WyoDisney »

I imagine. This was our problem with Ohana (anybody for the limbo again) and Sci-Fi theater where watching a B-movie clip once is interesting, three times in your 1 1/2 hour meal torture.

It would be nice if they turned if off during breakfast, or required everyone to have had a strong cup of coffee before they start.
Trust in the Lord and lean not to your own understanding.

Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Is it a new thing ?
We've never noticed it before this year.
royhan

Unread post by royhan »

I've noticed in recent visits that 'Wheel of Fortune' is played regularly at Downtown Disney. I am not sure if it is still played there.
Cardi 1
kUrGaN UK

Unread post by kUrGaN UK »

We haven't been since 2006 so this must be newly introduced since then at least. It reminds me of my last package holiday in the Greek Island of Crete where the entertainments team in the hotel complex did their club song and dance routine by the pool every hour from 8am without fail. They encouraged parents and (mostly) kids to join in with them but most people just stared at them in bleary eyed bemusement feeling a little sorry for them.

That song was ingrained in my soul by the end by the week.
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Hmmm....hadn't noticed THAT before, but it sure could get old. Maybe they figure there's enough turnover in those areas that nobody is getting bombarded with it. Or maybe they are trying to keep people moving....? The CMs must love it! :roll:
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
drad

Unread post by drad »

We stayed at POR just one day before your Disney cruise and that song is still in my head.We have stayed at POR 4 times before that with no goofy song.Going back for 9 days in September 2014.Hopefully that song will be gone!!Also whats up with those chipped mugs and paper cups?My wife purchased a mug to use 1 day and had a hard time getting the soda to dispense.Disney spending a dollar to save a dime?Anyway can't wait to get back to good old POR.
disneygrammy

Unread post by disneygrammy »

I thought it was fun. It is just another way of keeping with the spirit of Disney World.