POR July 7th

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
jeffintyler

POR July 7th

Unread post by jeffintyler »

My wife, 10 year old princess, and I can't wait for our trip! This website has tons of great info! We are staying in a royal guest room. Although this is covered on the site, how realistic will long waits for buses be at the property during that time. We will have our vehicle, should that even be an option?
MardiGroggy

Re: POR July 7th

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

As you noted, there are a number of posts on this site about the WDW bus transportation, some of which I have contributed. The bus service is very convenient and is a big "plus" when staying on property. That said, it is like any other transportation system. I has its good points and its problems. It usually runs on or very close to the planned "every 20 minutes" schedule. However, during peak use times the whole system can slow down considerably. It is best to try to avoid the peak times, such as park opening in the morning, when everyone is starting out the day. The same is true of any of the services, such as the food court. Of more concern for us has been the return trips. Again, you want to avoid the peak load times, such as meal times, just after the fireworks/parades and park closing times. Sometimes a few minutes either way can make a big difference in how long you wait for a bus. On the other hand, driving your car is always an option, but can get you stuck in long lines to enter and return from the parks. And if you drive to MK, you still have a boat or monorail ride to get from the parking lot to the park entrance (and back). In all of the parking lots you also have to wait, sometimes longer than others, for the tram. At least by staying at a WDW resort, you don't have to pay the daily parking fee!

Occasionally it can seem that the buses take forever, but if you have ever used your car, you know that has its speed bumps as well. Frankly, I have had some horrendous waits for buses, I mean so long that CMs who were waiting with us were complaining! I mean, so long that I went looking for a supervisor type to see what could be done. BUT, those were rare occasions. I don't ever plan any scheduled activities, such as ADRs, with close connection times, and I am there to relax, so I don't get all wound up when there are delays. The only real complaint I have, being an old guy, is that there aren't enough benches at the bus waiting areas. I can usually afford to take my time, but I can't always take the standing. On the whole, the availability of the transportation system is a big part of my decision to stay "on property," even when it is not at its most efficient. There can never be any guarantees, but the odds are that you will be well served by the bus system, just don't expect it to be more than it is. That's the best answer I can give you. Hope it helps.
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
jeffintyler

Unread post by jeffintyler »

Thanks so much for the insight! Bottom line seems like we need to plan in advance.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Looking forward to seeing how you got on, don't forget to pop back and let us know.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -