Fantastic! A trip report. 5/17-5/25

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
Alicatt

Fantastic! A trip report. 5/17-5/25

Unread post by Alicatt »

My Family and I had the most amazing time in Disney! There were six of us, my son and daughter (ages, 5 and 3), my parents, my husband and myself. I will try to add a day every day, until I'm done.

Arrival Day!
We took the Magical Express from MCO using our Magic Bands for the first time. The flight got in at 12:30 and, since we had yellow tagged our luggage we headed straight to the bus. We waited maybe 10 minutes before we boarded. The kids loved the TV. It got everyone in the magical mood. POR was the last stop out of 4, but we were still off the bus before 2. Not too shabby!
The resort was so beautiful! We went straight to the online check in spot. Our rooms were ready, all of our requests were granted (Magnolia bend connecting rooms) and my goodies from Walmart brought out to me. They gave us a map (thank goodness!) and we headed to the Arcadian mansion.
I would take this walk many times over the next week and it was so beautiful. We crossed two small bridges leading to and from Ol’ Man Island. The walk was perfect for me but a little long for my parents.
Our rooms overlooked the fountain on the back and were quite nice. The beds were comfy. I thought the rooms were roomy enough for a family of 4. We made good use of the refrigerator. Our Mousekeeper always kept the room clean. She replenished our toiletries and coffee and even left us towel animals! On our second day we got a card from Mickey welcoming us. The kids thought that was cool.
We had a quick lunch at the Riverside Mill, which was good. The make your own pasta and the mufffaleta were the stand outs. No shortage of dessert either! We were on the dining plan, so we used our mugs. They worked well and make a good souvenir. I’m drinking out of mine now.
As a side note, the dining plan worked very well for us. As you will see we did quite a few character meals, ate plenty of snacks and never wanted for anything. It’s definitely not for everyone but we ended up saving about $250 for my husband, kids and I. I calculated it when I got back and didn’t pay attention to it then. We did not try to order the most expensive things, though we did try not to use snack credits for things under $3.
We caught the boat to DTD after lunch, which was just what we needed to unwind. The kids (and I) got our faces painted and we had pictures taken. Then we shopped and shopped. We had dinner at T Rex. Service was a little slow but the food was fine. The kids loved the dinos and the meteor showers. We took dessert to go because we were so full. We wandered around a little more and then ended the evening with another lovely boat ride.
When we got back to our rooms, our luggage was waiting. After unpacking some things, we got ready for bed. It was going to be another early day tomorrow!
Nicola74

Re: Fantastic! A trip report. 5/17-5/25

Unread post by Nicola74 »

Looking forward to the next instalment :)
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Cool!!! Always love the trip reports! :D
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Alicatt

Unread post by Alicatt »

Sorry for the delay, real life came crashing down on me this week!
Day Two- Magic Kingdom
Though the beds were comfy and the room silent I woke up bright and early like a kid on Christmas! I took my shower and dressed (in the neat little dressing area) while everyone else snored away. I wanted to get some of the unpacking done, so I dragged the luggage to the “closet”, only used the bathroom light and shut the drapes (pay no attention to the woman behind the curtain). I got a fair amount done before my son was stirring. It was about 6:45.
I had already known that my boy and I would be the early risers. I ushered him out of bed quietly and help him get dressed in silence. I started coffee in the room so my husband would have something if he woke up before we got back. I took 4 refillable mugs and he took his and we open our door on our first morning in paradise. The weather was crisp and clear. Very few people were awake, so we had a wonderfully quiet walk to the Mill. There was an almost dream like quality about the resort at that hour. Small animals and birds were scurrying about. My 5 year old was enthralled. I was actually surprised at how much he loved these moments. We made this walk pretty much every day of the trip. Often just him and me, sometimes his sister would come too. On Magical Express ride back to the airport on the last day, I asked him what his favorite thing was at Disney and he answered “Our walks”. I almost cried!
So bearing coffee (and hot chocolate ), we returned. I will say that at 7 ish, the Mill was very quiet by 8 it was busy. Just something to keep in mind.
I was a little concerned that we would miss the morning show at Magic Kingdom, so I wanted to be at the bus stop by 7:45. I’d heard horror stories about long waits and long rides. I will save you the suspense, that never happened to us. We got on at the North depot, which was very close to our room. With the exception of one morning where we just missed our bus and had to wait 15 minutes for the next to the park we wanted, we never waited more than 10. Coming home was the same. We did stay for Wishes one night and it came as no surprise that there was a line waiting for the bus. We had detoured to get snacks and let the crowd die down a bit before leaving. The busses arrived in quick succession. We were on our way in maybe 20 minutes. Not too shabby. But I digress….
We arrive at Magic Kingdom in plenty of time and we’re all so excited. I have fond memories of this place and I can’t wait to share this with my children. My children have some vague idea that they are about to experience something amazing but no real concept of what’s to come. They can tell it’ll be good though because I can’t stop smiling.
Bag check is a breeze and the kids absolutely LOVE using the magic bands. We gather outside the train station and wait for the show. The kids can’t figure out what’s going on. Why aren’t we going in? Who are we waiting for? And then the music starts, the Mayor comes out and the show begins. I’d never seen it before and it really is the perfect way to start the day. Singing, dancing ,costumes! Then the train arrives and Mickey, Minnie and a variety of other characters get off the train (“Mom, is that Stitch?” “Mommy Miiiikkkkey!!!!”), then the countdown and small fireworks! Now the kids are starting to get that this place is Magical, if that’s the way they open the door! And now the moment I’ve been waiting for: walking hand in hand with my family into the Magic Kingdom.
There’s so much to look at when you step through the gate that we just stopped and stared for a moment. We slowly walked down Main St. just savoring the feeling of being there. We checked out our maps ( My son loved “reading” his map in every park. I can’t tell you why.) We stopped when we got out first good view of the Castle. I thought my daughter was going to explode with joy. We stopped for a family photo in front of the Castle, I mean you have to, right?
There are Photopass photographers all over. We got the My Memory Maker package for $149 in advance of the trip, after some debate. It is a lot of money for someone to take pictures of you. I would recommend it for longer trips though. We ended up with 182 photos. We did character meals , got the ride photos (I think that’s automatically added to your band now) did the Jedi training academy, meet and greets and standard photo ops. For us it was fantastic. I never had to worry about whether or not to buy a photo. We also got some magic shots (butterflies, Tinker Bell, Olaf, Stitch, etc).
I tried very hard to stick to our touring plan. We did pretty good but we did get derailed a few times. When Peter Pan walks by yelling “Follow Me”, how can you not? Still we hardly waited on any lines more than 20 min all day, except Haunted Mansion, which had a posted time of 40 (but was closer to 30) and we almost wished it was a longer wait because the queue was so much fun! I still adore this ride. Surprisingly, my kids did too. We spent all morning in New Fantasy Land. It wasn’t nearly enough time. 7 Dwarfs mine train was only testing with cast members (I had to check).
We had a fast pass for Be Our Guest for Lunch. It was beautiful and delicious. The only problem was that my parents were on a separate reservation and had to order separately. Their order got to them 10 minutes after ours. Not a big deal, but my dad was eyeing my pork hungrily. Great kids options here too. Not the usual fare. As my son reminded me yesterday, the grey stuff really is delicious!
We had fast passes for Peter Pan, BTMRR and Splash Mountain. Was Splash Mountain always this much fun??
At 2 O’clock we left the park (we took the train from Fantasyland to Main st. station) for a nap and came back at 5. We didn’t really sleep but it was still good for a wind down.
We rode a few more rides and then dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. So much wonderful food served family style. It’s like Thanksgiving! I almost didn’t make it to dessert. Almost.
I snagged a 4th FP+ for Space Mountain and we spent the rest of the evening wandering around Tomorrowland. It’s so beautiful all lit up. We watched Wishes from the bridge between Tomorrowland and the hub. It was a little loud for my kids but otherwise fantastic. Tinkerbell flying was my daughter’s favorite part. We took our time leaving and let the crowds rush ahead. My daughter fell asleep in her stroller (we on it twice during the whole trip). I bought my son a ridiculously overpriced balloon.
We stopped by the Confectionary and got a Mickey apple and some awesome toffee and then headed to the bus. By then the line was a little more manageable and they had busses coming by pretty frequently. We let a bus go because we didn’t want to stand and the next one was only a few minutes later. We were so glad that the bus stop was close to our room and as soon as we put the kids in PJs, we collapsed exhausted and content.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Can I bottle you and bring you with us on our next trip? :)

The early-morning resort walks are one of my favourite things to do too. As a Brit, we always arrive five-hours out of sync with Florida so DD and I are usually awake before the sun has even come up. Right from when she was very young, it became a tradition to leave mummy in bed snoozing while Lucy and I went on our "moonwalk" around the resort, just as dawn was approaching and watching the sun come up. Absolutely magical, even now she's a good deal older than this:

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Nicola74

This is lovely. I've been checking in to see if you'd added any more and I'm so glad you did. Two months after our wedding my husband and I visited FQ then 2 years later we stayed at POR and on our first morning because of the 5 hour trip we took a similar walk and had an early swim. Having been unable to visit since, 11 years on we're planning our first trip with our 2 children, currently 9 and 6, and your report is really getting me in the Disney spirit. We have to make sure we do that early walk round the resort and make sure we 'take time to stop and smell the flowers'.

Also, we've been thinking about memory maker and reading this, I think we're going to do it.

Andre, what a lovely picture.

Thank you.
ethicaladdict

Unread post by ethicaladdict »

What an excellent recap - I'm looking forward to the rest ;) I must admit that I teared up a wee bit when you talked about the Welcome show at MK! Sigh :)
Alicatt

Unread post by Alicatt »

Also, we've been thinking about memory maker and reading this, I think we're going to do it.
Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to try to answer anything.
Alicatt

Unread post by Alicatt »

EPCOT – So much to do, so little time!
I was a little less stressed about getting to EPCOT super early, so I actually brought back baked goods and grits along with coffee (Thank you snack credits!) and we ate well before we left. We still got there for rope drop and were immediately thrown off schedule by a Pluto meet and greet. I had learned the day before that I needed to be flexible with spontaneous magic, so we got on line. The Flower and Garden festival had just ended the day before, so a lot of the topiaries were still up and made for a special treat. After Pluto, our first stop was Spaceship Earth , which was a lot more fun then I remembered. After that we ended up at the Land pavilion. We rode Living with the Land. I had almost cut this out because I didn’t think my kids would really enjoy it, but I was wrong. They thought it was really neat, especially the giant lemons. The only thing they complained about was not being able to get off the ride to explore. Maybe I’ll sign us up for Behind the Seeds when they’re bigger…
Everyone enjoyed the flexibility of lunch at Sunshine Seasons. There were almost too many choices. The kids options here were very versatile and they let me swap out their rice side for veggies. We had to keep trying each other’s dishes, but not our desserts. Those we wouldn’t share.
After relaxing for a bit it was time for our Soarin fast pass. My daughter was almost too short for the ride. She was wearing sandals instead of sneakers and the tiny bit shorter that made her caused multiple measurements to be taken. She eeked by though. This again is a fantastic family ride. Everyone absolutely loved it and I got a kick out of my son gasping at some of the views. It really is as lovely as everyone says it is.
We squeezed in Journey Though Imagination, even though it’s lost so much of its former glory. But my kids didn’t know any better and I guess seeing Figment is still worth the trip. I still have the Figments that they made at the end.
After that we rode Nemo, which was ok and then did Turtle Talk with Crush. Crush was much more entertaining than we hoped. We went just for the kids but all of us adults really enjoyed it. I can’t wait to do that again.
We had intended to go home for a break at this point but we were running behind schedule. We decided to just ride Ellen’s Energy Adventure for a break while my husband went back to get my daughter’s princess dress for Akershus later on. That plan worked pretty well. By the time we were done with the ride my husband was getting off the bus back at Epcot. We hung around the Innovation Pavilion and waited for him there. My kids (and husband) really liked the game where you assembled a human body virtually.
We hit Mexico and ran in to Donald there, so we had meet him. We met Donald 3 times during this trip, all in different hats. Sombrero Donald was very cute though. We rode the Grand Fiesta Tour, drank margaritas (yum!) and then made our way to China just as the acrobats were starting up. I’m pretty sure that this was my kids favorite part of EPCOT. We sat on the ground and watch the whole show. They were mesmerized. It was a really nice break. By the time it was over, it was time to go to Norway for Dinner. The day was just flying by. We put my daughter in her fancy Sleeping Beauty dress and Tiara. I promised my son that he would get to dress up on Thursday when we went to Hollywood Studios. He was really good about it and danced with my daughter while we waited to be seated. It was a little bit of long wait. Luckily I had bubbles ready to entertain. Now the kids were dancing in circles surrounded by bubbles. It was pretty cute. Eventually we got in to see Belle, who was the princess taking pictures on the day we were there. She really was stunningly beautiful. We took a picture of just the kids and Belle and then one of all of us and Belle.
As soon as we sat they came for our drink orders. The grownups all got fun glowey adult drinks. We had time to go to the cold bar before any princesses came. The selection was really nice. I had been worried that no one but me would enjoy it, since I’m the only serious fish eater, but there was plenty of other things for people to enjoy. I continued to be surprised by how well my kids ate. They tried all different foods during this trip and Akershus was no exception. They didn’t like everything, but they tried almost anything and hardly ever chose standard kid fare. They ate veggies, pork, salmon etc. I guess Disney really is magical!
Our main courses were good but totally over shadowed by princess activity. There was a parade in which my son was the only boy. He was not about to be left out. Then our table had continuous visitors like Snow White (who my daughter informed that she slept with a doll of), Aurora (who fussed over her dress and how they could be sisters) and Mary Poppins (who my kids didn’t know but LOVED her accent and hat). After getting our photo package and dessert, we waddled out of there and went to Maelstrom. It was almost time for Illuminations and we weren’t intending to stay for that so we grabbed some School Bread to go and practically ran to the busses to beat the crowds. We watched some of the fireworks when we got to the exit though. We just couldn’t resist.
Sadly, we didn’t get to see much of World Showcase and I was pretty disappointed about that. The day just got away from us. I don’t regret anything we did do, just next time I know to plan 2 days for EPCOT, instead of one. I guess I underestimated how much my pre-schoolers would enjoy it. Oh well, now I have a good excuse to go back. Not that I needed one.
Nicola74

I was so happy when i saw you'd posted a new report. I'm so enjoying reading these. I can picture it and it sounds great and your kids sound so adorable. You must have had a really clear plan before going, so I have my work cut out.

As we're travelling from the UK we have 14 days to plan for and my daughter is obsessive about Harry Potter too so we will have to allow time to check that out.

Thanks for the offer of help over memory maker. Do you have to activate it and link everyone in? It sounds like it just sends all photos taken to your MDE account and then are they yours for good?

Looking forward to your Hollywood Studios report. :D
MardiGroggy

"Fantastic!" is right! I'm also looking forward to the rest of it. Thanks for sharing this with us.
MardiGroggy

Alicatt

Unread post by Alicatt »

Our Day on the Darkside
So this was out Universal day. We had M&H Transportation pick us up at 8 AM. They were prompt and courteous. Round trip for 6 of us, including a car seat and a booster seat was $95, which did not include tip. Still, quite reasonable in my opinion. We arrived at Citywalk at about 8:30. The driver pointed out where to meet us at closing. We also had the option to choose a different time and we could also call if we changed our minds.
We decided to only go to Islands of Adventure, since Diagon Alley was not yet open. We headed straight to Hogsmeade and got on line for the Forbidden Journey. There was already a pretty sizable line, about 40 minutes, when we got there. The themeing is amazing! I really enjoyed walking around Hogwarts. The queue was the best I’ve ever seen. My kids have seen the first movie and my son has had the book as his bedtime story, so they were familiar with most of the characters. I was so glad that they got to experience the castle, since they needed to go to the child swap area for the ride. The actual ride was really well done. I do have to admit that it did make me motion sick for the only time this trip. Still it was worth it for me. Not for my mom though, who said she’d never ride it again. I could see why….
After that we rode Flight of the Hippogryph which was very cute. The kids enjoyed seeing Buckbeak, even though they had no idea who he was (yet). We skipped the Dragon Challenge because the kids were too small and I had ridden it before it was re-themed. I had thought it was kind of Six Flagsy and didn’t need to ride it again. We ate at Three Broomsticks as soon as they opened for lunch as they had no line. We sampled the Butterbeer (which my kids stole from me) the pumpkin fizz and the Hogs Head Brew. It was all pretty good. We shared the Great Feast between 3 adults and 2 kids. My husband got the Cornish Pasties and garden salad. There was plenty of food for all of us. I was surprised at how much my little ones enjoyed the copious amount of meat. The themeing here was also great. I walked around for a bit just taking it in. I would eat here again.
We spent a little while exploring the shops, buying candy and souvenirs, and taking pictures. Once I was satisfied that I had seen everything in the WWOHP, we headed towards Dr. Seuss. On the way we got side tracked by a talking, spurting fountain. We spent about 15 minutes letting the kids interact with the magic fountain near the 7 voyages of Sinbad, which we didn’t end up seeing because the times didn’t match up with our schedule.
My kids really the Dr. Seuss rides. We are all fans of the stories. The rides were good but not great. I felt like maybe there could have been more to them. We still had lots of fun.
I was only interested in two other rides, Spiderman and Jurassic park. We all rode Spiderman but it broke down half way though and the screens went off and the lights came on. We had to do the rest of the ride like that. Luckily they fixed it quickly and then we rode again. It took some discussion though. We weren’t just offered it and it seemed like the workers were doing us a favor. It was pretty exciting and fun though. We also got a photo with the Green Goblin outside. He was very in character and my kids were simultaneously thrilled and terrified.
My daughter was too scared to ride Jurassic park so she waited with my mom in the child swap section and watched cartoons. This ride is a classic. A good solid scary boat ride with dinosaurs and a decent drop. I swapped all the boys for my mom and rode again. This time the ride broke down during the climb for the big drop. All of the AI shut off and we just floated around for a bit. It was kind of lame. We finally did get to go down the drop though but we got no offer of a re-ride.
Closing time is 7:30 at IOA, so since it was getting close to 7 we decided to head over to Pat O’ Brian’s at City Walk for a Hurricane. I’d been to the Pat O’s in New Orleans, so I was eager to share this drink with my parents. Unfortunately, that whole section of City Walk was closed for some event, so instead we sat in some outdoor lounge chairs and got Pina Colada’s from Margaritaville’s to go window. They were made from a mix but still refreshing after a long, hot , day. We meandered back to the pickup point and waited for our car. He was a few minutes late but there was a lot of traffic. We asked him to drop us off at French Quarter instead of Riverside because we wanted to try it for dinner. It was no problem at all.
My 3 year old was a little over tired and when we got dropped off at “the wrong” resort, she had a meltdown. We tried to calm her down but she wasn’t having it. Then out of nowhere a cast member shows up with beads, stickers and a huge friendly smile! He was a total mood changer!! We joked over dinner about how maybe Disney has a vast network of cameras being monitored in case a child is sad. Once one is spotted, a Navy Seal-esq team of specialists are deployed to fix the situation. “Crying Child at 12:00” “We’re on it”.
Anyway, dinner was fine, not quite as good as Riverside, but fine. The beignets may not have been Café Du Monde quality, but they were hot and tasty. After we ate, we strolled back to our rooms.
What a serene walk.
Alicatt

Unread post by Alicatt »

Nicola74 wrote:I was so happy when i saw you'd posted a new report. I'm so enjoying reading these. I can picture it and it sounds great and your kids sound so adorable. You must have had a really clear plan before going, so I have my work cut out.

As we're travelling from the UK we have 14 days to plan for and my daughter is obsessive about Harry Potter too so we will have to allow time to check that out.

Thanks for the offer of help over memory maker. Do you have to activate it and link everyone in? It sounds like it just sends all photos taken to your MDE account and then are they yours for good?

Looking forward to your Hollywood Studios report. :D
Yes. It send them to your photo pass account which is linked with MDE. You must download them though. They will not stay online for more than 45 days. You can download them as many times as you want though. You can also add cute boarders and stuff.
Alicatt

Unread post by Alicatt »

Donald Knows How to Accessorize!
Wednesday was Animal Kingdom day and boy was it hot! We started our day at Tusker House. It was cool getting into the park a little before everyone else. We took a picture at the restaurant entrance and were seated immediately. They served the coffee and Jungle Juice. The juice was sweet but tasty. My kids drank a good amount of it. The breakfast had some of the usual and some less usual fare. It was outstanding for a breakfast buffet. The characters came around Mickey, Goofy, Donald and Daisy. We had already met Donald in Mexico and my son was impressed at how many hats Donald owned. My daughter was very excited to meet Daisy. She’s one of her favorites and she didn’t disappoint.
After out filling breakfast we went to Dinoland. My husband, son and I rode Dinosaur and then the kids, my husband and I rode Triceratops Spin, which is Dumbo with Dinosaurs.
Not having been to Animal kingdom in so long, I forgot how big it is. I made the rookie mistake of booking our FP+ too close together and it caused some serious rushing. Our first fast pass was the Kilimanjaro Safari. We saw a ton of animals. It is so beautifully done we could have rode around again. There was so much to look at that even the three year old sat still.
Next we had to motor to get to Expedition Everest before the FP+ expired. It was a long, hot walk. We made it though. We used the child swap and I rode with my husband and with my dad. My mom was too scared. After that we took a breather, ate Mickey bars in the shade and let the kids play in some sprinklers. Now it was time for Kali River Rapids. It really hit the spot on a hot day. We didn’t actually get that wet but we appreciated the covered center basket for our stuff. A soggy cell phone is nobody’s friend. I will admit to putting everything into ziplock bags anyway…
Mickey and Minnie were greeting at the Adventure Outpost so we got on that (indoor) line. My girl just adores Minnie and looking the vacation photos hanging on the walls really added to the mood.
All we had left on the agenda was to do was eat lunch at Flame Tree BBQ so we took our time looking around and having pictures taken, I had gotten bold enough by now to ask the photographers if they had magic shots. I was lucky to find a photographer in training who wanted to practice on us! We were in no rush so we let him pose us in different spots. I had a shot where I was releasing butterflies, my kids got ones where a butterfly landed on their hand. We had a lot of fun.
We continued our journey stopping to see some birds and other small creatures along the way. Now we were ready to eat again. I had ribs, my dad chicken and ribs and my kid’s hot dogs. My husband didn’t feel like meat, and really, that’s all they offer. For some reason they do not offer an adult hot dog meal but they let my mom do it anyway, giving her adult sides, drink and dessert. It was all really juicy and good. A bird was scavenging the patio and my kids couldn’t get over it. They followed this bird around for like 20 minutes. They were entertained and we got to eat slowly. It worked for us.
By now we were pretty hot and tired so we decided to go back to our resort for a swim. I thought that it would be for maybe an hour. 3 hours later I had to drag everyone from the pool for dinner. I should have decided to eat at the resort but we ended up going to Downtown Disney (by boat again) but we were all too wiped to enjoy it . We did get a good meal at Wolfgang Puck Express. My daughter slept right through it. We ended up taking the bus back instead of the boat back because it was closer. It was nice to have that option. It was also a good thing that we brought the stroller, because both kids were sound asleep as soon as we left the restaurant. We all slept soundly that night!
Nicola74

Great reports again! Love AK, am so looking forward to my kids seeing it. Thanks for the info about memory maker. Do we need to create a photo pass account and buy memory maker or is it all one package? I'm liking the sound of the magic shots they do too. Do we have to specifically request those when they're taking our picture?
MardiGroggy

Thanks for taking the time to write up these great reports. It's great to hear what others get out of their WDW adventures. It sounds like you had a great time.
MardiGroggy