So far so GREAT!

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
jeffintyler

So far so GREAT!

Unread post by jeffintyler »

Well our family is about to settle in for our second night at POR and I can't imagine things being any better!! What a beautiful property, we absolutely LOVE it! FP+ is working amazing and we don't leave till Monday. The few concerns we had ( bus lines and walk to depots) are no longer issues, every walk here is spectacular ! We are also in a Royal Guest room which is awesome. Heat is also very manageable with some common sense.

I had concerns about FP + but in 24 hours we have ridden 7 drawfs mine train, big thunder mnt, haunted mansion, rockin roller coaster (2x), Tower of a Terror (2x) and have seen wishes(preferred viewing area with FP+) and new HS frozen fireworks!

Epcot on Wednesday!
Nicola74

Re: So far so GREAT!

Unread post by Nicola74 »

Glad to hear you're having a great time. Is using your fast pass for preferred viewing areas a good idea? Is it less crowded that way or still crowded but at least you know where you'll be standing?

Hope you have as great a time today! Wish I was there but we have 278 days to go!
jeffintyler

The preferred viewing area for Wishes was something we enjoyed simply because we weren't packed in and were able to sit on the lawn. Having said that, Wishes is really one of our favorite events. I would not say the same for Fantasmic (which we also love). Viewing area for that is much better with the dining package.
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Wow, that's a heap of running around in 24 hours! Sounds like you are making the most of your time. :) I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the new Mine
Train ride. I haven't talked to anyone yet who has been on it since it opened. Hope you enjoy the rest of your visit as much as the first 24 hrs.
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Nicola74

Unread post by Nicola74 »

Thanks. Something to think about. Our daughter is autistic and doesn't like to be too close to people so we weren't sure how we'd get on with the parades etc but maybe this is the way to go. Hope you're having a great second day! Thanks for taking the time to reply while you're there
jeffintyler

SWD, you caught me a little exaggeration, it was more like 30 hours and we were aided by 1am closing at Magic Kingdom! The 7 Dwarfs mine train is NOT a thrill ride at all, if Space Mountain is an 8 on thrill meter then this ride is about a 4 or 5. It's still a ton of fun, just adjust your mindset if your more of a thrill seeker.
MardiGroggy

24...30, what's a few hours when you're having fun?? That's still getting a lot in for your money. :P

Thanks for the info on the Mine Train. An old goat like me doesn't need a big "thrill" ride, but the design of the thing sounds interesting and one of these days I hope to check it out. Disney certainly played up the novelty of the engineering that went into it, so I was wondering if it measured up to the hype.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay as much as the start. Looking forward to further reports, as you have the time.
MardiGroggy

jeffintyler

We spent Wednesday at Epcot and really enjoyed a little slower pace. Because of the tier system for fastpass+ at Epcot(Hollywood Studio also does tiers) unless your sprinting at rope drop. Your going to have to wait in a pretty long line for either soarin or test track, we chose soarin and didn't ride test track. We love the World Showcase and if it got too hot or rained, we dove into a place we could sample a drink of that area and cool off! There is also a bunch of characters to see in the World Showcase.

Thursday we went back to Hollywood Studious for thrill rides and shows, got soaked on way to the bus but we got kinda giddy and just laughed at wet selfs. Yes, we had pancho's but it rained hard!

Friday we spent most of the day at Animal Kingdom. It's hard to pinpoint why, but we think it's our least favorite park. When we returned to POR around 5:00, we asked a wonderful cast member if she could get us additional fastpasses at Magic Kingdom as we wanted to go there for the evening. Well Jenni (that's how her name tag read) was about the sweetest and helpful CM we met on the trip, helped us out with such a kind heart and sweet spirit. The POR us lucky to have her. I had been told that you could only make additional fastpasses at the individual parks, but that clearly isn't true.

I fell like I have become somewhat of a fastpass+ expert ( I'm sure I just jinxed myself) and really think it's a great deal.

Today we went back to Magic Kingdom and had a blast. We used fastpasses all day and did everything we loved including character meet and greets. We even met talking Mickey, which is really cool, and took us off guard a little.

I can't imagine staying anywhere else, this resort us so beautiful and serene. The first day I walked into the food court I was taken back by the business because everything else us so peaceful.
MardiGroggy

Ha! Yes, the food court can be chaotic at times. We try to hit it during the "off" times, whenever we can. That is one of the reasons our recent visits have been to FQ. It's a little quieter, but does have a more limited selection. There are always trade-offs.

It still sounds like you made the most of your time. I'm guessing you are back home by now. Any other reports from this visit? Thanks for taking the time to give us your impressions. :)
MardiGroggy

Dvelez3329

Unread post by Dvelez3329 »

Hi, I was wondering how to get the FP+ for preferred viewing? Also I heard you can get a FP+ for the quick service at Be Our Guest, but it doesn't give you an option when you set up your tickets. Glad you had a great time!
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

For info on making lunchtime Be Our Guest bookings, see http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3310867.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -