POR Stay - 12/16/08 to 12/19/08

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
wrl1208

POR Stay - 12/16/08 to 12/19/08

Unread post by wrl1208 »

This was my first stay at Port Orleans - Riverside, and I was extremely happy with the resort. I requested that we be put in the AB section when we checked in and told them my sister and I were willing to wait for a room since we were heading out to the parks, anyway. They put us in Building 18, 1st Floor. My brother and sister-in-law also stayed in AB in Building 38. All of us were happy with the resort and definitely preferred the rustic feel of AB over MB.

The hotel was pretty quiet at night and early morning with a couple of exceptions. While we weren't overlooking the pool, we weren't too far from it. Not a problem except one morning early at 7:00 AM when kids were in the pool and screaming the whole time. We had been up late for the MVMCP, so we were hoping to sleep in a little later. No big deal. Also, being on the first floor was nice when we were leaving and had to take our luggage along, but a kid running back and forth in the room above was heard plainly in our room. Again, not a big deal since it was morning.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. I was also pleased with the tile and granite in the bathrooms. Nice touch. And Mousekeeping was good. We had plenty of towels and wash cloths with extras left for us. Mousekeeping also left extra bottles of shampoo/conditioner. We brought our own shampoo and conditioner, so we didn't use theirs. But it was still a nice gesture. We did leave a couple of bucks each morning, and more when we left, so that might have had something to do with it.

The setting of the resort was beautiful - like living in a park, as my sister said. Plenty of places to stroll around, and we enjoyed the Sassagoula River running through it. We also took the water taxi to DTD and were looking for excuses to take it whenever we could. It was a nice change from the buses and a very scenic ride.

We picked up the buses at the South Depot, and we never had a long wait for a bus. But coming back to the hotel after a long day in the parks was challenging if we didn't get a seat because the buses stopped at the South Depot last. Not sure why that was.

Food was what we've come to expect from a food court at Disney - decent fast food. (I've stayed in a value, a moderate and a deluxe hotel, but I couldn't see a difference in the food courts.) We did have breakfast at Boatwright's, and that was very good. Otherwise, we were eating at various restaurants throughout the parks since we were on the Disney Dining Plan.

We will definitely stay here again, and I am recommending it to friends.

P.S. As an amateur photographer, I really appreciated the pictures on this site. Very nicely composed and gave me a good idea of what the resort was like. It was based on those pictures that I made the decision to pick the AB. I was not disappointed!
MauiMouse

Re: POR Stay - 12/16/08 to 12/19/08

Unread post by MauiMouse »

I would like to stay at POR at some time. In 2007 we stayed over at French Quarter and really enjoyed our stay there. I would walk over to POR daily and check out the grounds, very beautiful and relaxing.
csnkrushin

Unread post by csnkrushin »

Thanks for the review...we are heading to POR in Feb for our first visit to WDW. Cant wait...counting down the days :D
wrl1208

Unread post by wrl1208 »

Boy, I'm jealous! Hardly an hour goes by that I don't wish I were back in Florida again. And you got in on that great Disney vacation deal as well! Have a great time! :D