Our Trip May 12th 2010

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
roadkill6772

Our Trip May 12th 2010

Unread post by roadkill6772 »

We had a great time here at Riverside. I had done the advanced book in before arriving, which I strongly recommend. The only problem was that they forgot to take the payment off when I arrived. So when I went to connect to the internet I was unable to. So went down to the desk to find out that we did not pay for it yet.

First the room was a nice size for 5 of us. I found the room was very clean and the bathroom as well. I had read about the room not being cleaned, I can not agree with them. I loved the 2 sinks especially when you go with 2 women, a teenage girl and a 5 year old girl. My older daughter turned 13 on the Friday of our visit. We had them get a character to call her on her birthday. It was goofy that called her.

We stayed in building 27 which we really liked since it was close to the main pool a quiet pool and the lobby. We bought new mugs but we did take our old ones as well, they did not make any comment to us about using our old ones. So if you do go on vacation and have the older mugs I would say to bring them. I did see people using there own mugs that were not from Disney and they did not get told not to use them.

So that evening we took the boat to downtown Disney which was nice and relaxing even though the motor was load. They do not crowd the boats so they are nicer then taking the bus. Plus the view is a lot better then taking the bus there. We had a great time there.

Thursday we went to Animal Kingdom early. We did not go on the safari ride since we did not like the wait and the ride the last time we went on. My 5 year old went on her first adult roller coaster when my wife took her on the Yeti ride as she calls it. She got very scared on this ride. We spent most of the time getting signatures and the kids doing the Kidcot. They had fun collecting the stamps from each section. We also did most of the shows as well.

Friday was my daughters birthday and we went to Epcot. We left a little later since the park was opened up a little later. I would recommend waiting until later if the parks are opened later since it's easier to get on the bus. We went a few rides and shows and then we went to The Garden Grille for supper. It was expensive but well worth it. The food was the best of any restaurant we went to last time. Plus the room rotates around while you eat. I would recommend to get a seat on the lower level. Plus it is a character dining so we got to see Mickey, Pluto and Chip and Dale. They came around at least 2 times if not 3 times. After diner we did the living land ride which was great as well. When we left the Land we headed over to the world side which the kids again did the Kidcot thing and collected stamps from each country. They finished all countries just before the fireworks started. Which I think is the best of all 4 parks. We had the extended park hours so we went on a few more rides before heading back to the room. The only thing that I did not like was that a lot of things close at the normal closing time and did not stay open for us to enjoy.

Saturday and Monday we did Hollywood Studios which was a blast. If you are taking young kids and want extra characters then I would recommend going to the character signing that is in the building behind the Art studio section. Sorry I can't remember the name. They bring out extra characters for a short time, Snow White, Mulan, Alladin and Jazmine, Mary Poppins, Belle in her blue outfit and Captain hook to name a few. Other then that we went on rides and saw shows.

Sunday and Tuesday we went to Magic Kingdom which we loved. The only thing here was that they have closed down Ariel's Grotto and Pooh playground. They are building a whole new section which also includes moving Dumbo ride over into Toontown. My younger daughter dressed up as Princess Tiana and we went right to her place to get her signature and pictures with her. My daughter was first in line and got to spend a little extra time with her. Since the photographer had left for a minute. We then did more rides and shows here as well.

The last day we went to downtown Disney again.

One thing that I would recommend if they still have the deal on is take advantage of the Disney Club tour, it is like a time share offer but with no pressure. They will take you on a tour of the rooms and then will talk about any info you need to take back with you. At the end of the presentation we were impressed but had to think about it but if you do this they will give $100 gift card to spend. Plus you get ice cream at the end.

We also ventured over to French Quarters for diner and a swim. I would recommend going over there for the food. They have much better food choices then riverside. Plus the Beignets are amazing as well. But Riverside buildings are much better since they are spaced out and more peaceful.

In the end I would recommend people go to Port Orleans for their vacation destination.
twinmama

Re: Our Trip May 12th 2010

Unread post by twinmama »

So glad to see your positive review!! Only 6 more days til our first Disney Vacation!
roadkill6772

I hope you have a great time just like we did. Again I suggest that you buy the refillable mugs so you can enjoy free drinks at the resort for your stay.

Make sure you check out the Disney club offer if it is still in your room. The gift cards are free after you sit through the presentation.
twinmama

Unread post by twinmama »

We definately will, are you able to bring your children? Thanks
pcarney1984

Unread post by pcarney1984 »

Yes you can bring kids to the vacation club presentation. We opted for the fast passes instead of the gift card when we went, they gave our group of 4 each 4 immediate fast passes, which meant we put it in the machine and went on immediately, we didn't have come back at the normal fast past time. This saved us a couple hours of waiting in line, plus you still have your key to the world so you can get the normal fast passes as well. With a 3 yr old and 2 yr old the immediate fast passes were AMAZING. Have a great trip Riverside is the best!
roadkill6772

The other thing is that they have a supervised room which they are amazing with the kids, They do ask that the kids are potty trained. They have snacks and lots of things for them to do. For us we didn't worry about the fast passes since it was not overly busy and it was our last day there. So if you do it early enough then take the fast passes if not take the gift card.