POR visit report, May 2010 - no bears!

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
SusieQ

POR visit report, May 2010 - no bears!

Unread post by SusieQ »

OK.... Words can not describe how sad I am to be back from our DW trip but I am glad to report that we had no BEAR, SNAKE or unsettling wildlife incidents.... LOL
Port Orleans Riverside Resort is absolutely beautiful, serene and loaded with things to do. We had a full schedule of parks and dining jammed into our one week vacation and we actually cut a couple of days at the parks short just so we could soak in and enjoy this amazing resort.
We took advantage of both the main pool and quiet pool near our bldg (Oak Manor). The queit pool is so relaxing, with plenty of chairs and they have a laundry room perfectly located poolside so that I could do my laundry while keeping close watch to my 7 & 9 yr old girls enjoying their swim time.
Our Bldg was just across the bridge from the main lobby so we didn't have to walk far for anything.... if we didn't want to wait at the crowded bus stop at the main bldg we had another bus stop just outside the parking lot to the rear of our bldg that we could use... It was a fantastic room location. I did fax a room and bldg rqst to the resort about 10days before going so I guess that helped in getting such a great location! When I arrived I advised them that we had other family members checking in 2 days after us and they ended up placing them in the adjoining room to ours....I was delighted.... so I would definately consider the staff there to be accomodating.
From the lovely Rita at the front desk that checked us in to our last bus ride to the airport I can honestly say every staff member at Port Orleans Riverside was extremely friendly and pleasant.
As for the quick service food at the resort... it is just that... QUICK SERVICE... we never waited long considering the amount of people there and the food wasn't that bad, always huge portions and made fresh. The Chicken Ceasar Salad was F A B U L O U S.... and my kids loved the Cinnamon Buns for breakfast (which fall under a snack credit on the DDP). There are times when the food court area gets pretty congested but the staff are great about packing your food to go... one day we ordered some sandwiches with grapes and cookies for dessert, we had them bag it up and we had a picnic at one of the tables near the quiet pool. The kids loved it!
If you want to go in the room with a magnifying glass and inspect it inch by inch I am sure you could probably find something to complain about but seriously.... why would you? We spent about 2hrs of awake time in the room... 1 hr in the morning getting ready to hit the parks and an hour at night to wind down and pass out! The cleaning staff came in and replaced all the towels everyday and fulfilled the rqsts for different towel animals that my kids would leave on a note. We had a family of bunny and penguin towel animals along our window ledge by the time we left.
I could go on and on about this resort but I'll just end with a few points to highlight here:
* Mary Kay does the Caricature Pictures in the lobby... they rock!!!!
* Bob and Steve.... Bob is the horse, Steve is the driver and they are well worth the $45 for 30mins you get with them (last ride is at 9:30pm).
* Don't drag your purchases around the park... have them sent to Fullerton's & pick them up the next day... too easy!!!!
* Take the riverboat to DT Disney instead of the bus, it's just lovely!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: POR visit report, May 2010 - no bears!

Unread post by Admin »

Thanks for the trip report Susie, it sounds like you had a wonderful time at Riverside - I thought you would. I'm also glad you managed to get some time to spend around the resort too, as WDW vacation time is as much about the relaxing stuff as it is about the hecticness of the parks and rides.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -