POR - Magnolia Bend - Acadian House (1/4/09-1/10/09)

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
tsukata

POR - Magnolia Bend - Acadian House (1/4/09-1/10/09)

Unread post by tsukata »

Photos of Riverside (and French Quarter) taken during our trip, posted on my personal website: http://www.tsukata.org/org_gallery/Orla ... Riverside/

Rooms: 8009, 8010 in Acadian House (Magnolia Bend)

Other notes: first time staying at POR, stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for one night, previously had stayed at All-Star resorts; we're a couple in our thirties, no kids; we had pored over this site before leaving, so we had *lots* of great information about the resort

The bad:
  • Check-in took forever. At 6:45am on Sunday January 4th, there was a line of 14 people, and one person was at the desk to check them in. We didn't get to the front of the line until nearly 8am. This was the first day of the Buy-4-Get-3 promotion, so a ton of people were checking out and checking back in again under the promotion to get their park tickets for the week. My parents (who were also staying at POR) ran into the same experience later in the day. This may have been an artifact of the B4G3 promotion (and a lack of preparedness for it), but it was still a negative way to start our stay.
  • Check-in wasn't breezy. None of our special requests got honored in our initial room placement. My husband spent a fair amount of time at the desk (as had everyone before us) trying to get us into something that would be at least partially what we wanted. We had requested any of 4 different buildings in Alligator Bayou (ones closest to bus stops), adjoining (not connecting, although ok if they did connect) room to my parents, and (and we noted this as being the top priority) a first floor room for my parents as they aren't too steady on stairs. We were assigned to the 2nd floor, both rooms on 2nd floor and in different buildings, and in buildings that were in really out-of-the-way locations (as much as any building is in AB). We said we were willing to wait to get assigned until later in the day, but the check-in host said they weren't expecting anything in our requested buildings to open up. She found us a room in a slightly better building, with us in the same building, but still on 2nd floor, so that wouldn't work. What made matters worse is that every time we asked "what about this option? or what if we do this instead?", she had to get on the phone to someone else to ask about it. In this day and age, you kind of expect the person checking you in to be able to access that information on a computer in front of them instead of calling to someone else to ask. After much negotiation and phone calls, we switched to Magnolia Bend, and we ended up in a fountain view 1st floor room, connected to my parents' room, in the Acadian building. So, in the end, we got the most important parts of what we asked for, with the exception of being in Alligator Bayou...but it took a large amount of (polite) back-and-forth at the front desk to get there.
  • There was no cellphone reception in our rooms for T-Mobile. (This isn't Disney's fault, IMO...more of a general FYI.) Verizon worked hit-and-miss. But generally, all of us had to go out into the courtyard to make or receive calls and texts. That made coordinating our groups a pain.
  • There's only one hot tub, and it filled up FAST in the evenings. I really wish they had a second one somewhere for all our aching feet, but if they do, it's well-hidden!
The only-okay:
  • Bus service - When leaving the parks or DD, for every bus that went to Port Orleans, there would be 3 going to Key West, from anywhere that we went. The buses were never crowded for us, but we were there at off-season, too, and we mostly drove to the parks during the day. We only used the buses a few times.
The good:
  • For all of our request issues, we loved our rooms. We had honestly thought about doing Magnolia Bend instead of AB (in part because then, even on an upper floor, there's an elevator), but this site and others talked us out of it. (AB seemed to have such interesting in-room theming, among other reasons.) Our room was quiet and peaceful. We had no noise issues. Parking was close-by, and the bus stop was very convenient. The whole Riverside resort is lusciously themed and landscaped, but Magnolia Bend is particularly picturesque, IMO. Honestly, the farthest part of Riverside isn't anywhere near as bad of a walk as some of the mid-distance buildings of All-Star. Even if the distance is long, it's like you don't mind it as much because of the landscaping and river view. From Acadian House, we were a very short walk to a quiet pool and not that much farther to Ol' Man Island, which then gave us access to the Mill. We weren't planning to use the food court very much anyways, so being far from the Mill wasn't a problem for us. (Oh and we found a super-secret, probably supposed to be employees-only but isn't marked as such, entrance and exit to the resort just outside Acadian House which made it ultra-convenient for when we went off-campus to dine or drove to another resort for dinner.)
  • Renting bikes and touring the Port Orleans resorts was one of the best things my husband and I did. I highly recommend it if you have a chance.
  • Beignets at French Quarter were delicious and served to us straight from the fryer. I went to college in New Orleans, so this was a pleasant nostalgia.
  • The waterslide at Ol' Man Island beats Animal Kingdom's and French Quarter's easily. My husband had lots of fun on it. :)
The PURE AWESOME:
  • Yehaa Bob at the River Roost - I admit that I was skeptical, but all of us, my parents included, really enjoyed the show. We were singing, dancing, clapping...it was a blast.
  • The ferry to Downtown Disney - this feels like an overlooked gem...you get dropped off in a great place, and along the way, our ferry captain gave us information about what we were passing. We saw the treehouses that are being built as part of Disney's next DVC resort, and we got a little history about the other resorts...nothing we didn't already know, but it was still fun. It was a great (free) way to see the other resorts from the Sassagoula.
  • Breakfast at Boatwright's: It completely lived up to the hype. :) I preferred the Boatwright's style French Toast. My Dad really liked their "traditional" French Toast. My husband loved the banana-stuffed French Toast. All in all, we were all happy and well-fed at a very reasonable (for Disney) price.
Other items of note:
  • You can't take kayaks all the way to DD. Per the rental desk, kayaks can't go further than Port Orleans FQ. Powered boats can go all the way to the DD lake, but they can't dock there (even though you can rent boats there that go up the river) or be returned there. The kayaks are sit-on-top kayaks which, while easier to get in and out of than traditional sit-in style, are a bit more cumbersome to maneuver for some folk. One nice thing is that the kayaks load on a ramp and are scooted into the water...which really begs the question as to why they limit it to sit-on-tops. A water entry to a sit-in kayak is challenging, but land-entry is easy, especially with an assistant. The reason for sit-on-tops is to make water entry easier. :: shrug ::
  • While Surrey bikes are limited to the big trail at POR, the regular bikes can go down to French Quarter, and, if you're adventurous and willing to follow the letter of the rules rather than the clearly intended spirit, can go to Key West. (Honestly, I'd love to see Disney offer and promote a bike rental program park-wide, so you could ride bikes to the parks on bike paths, turn them in, and rent bikes in the evenings to get home and turn them in at your resort. But, I'm probably in the minority on that, being without kids and a lover of biking. :) )
If you're really, really bored and want to read my long and rambling blog posts about our trip (which I'm still working on and posting gradually), check out http://tsukata.org/tag/disney09/ (make sure to click the title of each post in the list to see the full post)

Overall, we're really glad we chose POR, and we'll definitely stay there again. Reading this site made the stay that much more enjoyable, so we're very happy it was here.
smjrn

Re: POR - Magnolia Bend - Acadian House (1/4/09-1/10/09)

Unread post by smjrn »

Thanks for the update. We'll be there in 3 days. I'm hoping for a Mansion room.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

smjrn wrote:Thanks for the update. We'll be there in 3 days. I'm hoping for a Mansion room.
I'm hearing that maybe not all of the mansions are in use at the moment - could you possibly ask some questions of a front-desk CM or supervisor as to what the current situation is and let us know? Thanks.

Have a great time anyway.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Drcop

Unread post by Drcop »

I called Disney for information about some of the mansion buildings not being used on our trip (March 4-11). They didn't have any information about any buidlings not being used but gave me the resort number. Called the resort. After a couple of transfers, I was told they didn't know about any building not being used. and that all of the buidlings will be open and used?

We go down to POR every year and always request Magnolia Terr or Acadian building.
bobpfef

Unread post by bobpfef »

We were also at POR at roughly the same time (1/7/09 - 1/14/09) and had much the same experience.

The check-in process was very slow and, as you said "not breezy." We didn't get any of our requests
either. The main one being something on the first floor (with a stroller the second floor at AB is a
royal pain). Plus we wanted a building way in back. There was much back and forth that the CM always
had to talk to someone else before she could answer our questions. It took way too long and was very
frustrating. Finally we decided to you take what they had offered us first, as my wife just wanted to
get out of the lobby and laydown for a bit. We found out later that indeed the building we had requested
was closed, at least for part of our trip. Disney won't confirm that, but the there were no cars in
the lot and the housekeeping staff we asked said that it was indeed closed for "a little while" - not
sure why they make such a big deal about hiding that information.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

bobpfef wrote:We found out later that indeed the building we had requested
was closed, at least for part of our trip. Disney won't confirm that, but the there were no cars in
the lot and the housekeeping staff we asked said that it was indeed closed for "a little while" - not
Which building did you request? I'd just like to get an idea of what the scale of things is - was that the only building with an empty car park that you noticed?

It does annoy me a bit that the front-desk staff either don't have the ability or authority (or inclination?) to look beyond what is currently showing on their DPMS screen as a "Ready" room, as I'm sure they could make a lot of guests much happier if they could check further availability for the rest of the day.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
bobpfef

Unread post by bobpfef »

We requested building 37. We like the North Depot, it is quiet in the morning, unlike the South which can
be a bit crazy. The lot in front of 36 and 37 were empty for the first 4 or 5 days of our trip. We noticed
cars in them toward the end of our vacation.
admin wrote:
bobpfef wrote:We found out later that indeed the building we had requested
Which building did you request? I'd just like to get an idea of what the scale of things is - was that the only building with an empty car park that you noticed?

It does annoy me a bit that the front-desk staff either don't have the ability or authority (or inclination?) to look beyond what is currently showing on their DPMS screen as a "Ready" room, as I'm sure they could make a lot of guests much happier if they could check further availability for the rest of the day.

A.