First Stay and First Trip to Disney

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
lpta08

First Stay and First Trip to Disney

Unread post by lpta08 »

My friend and I travelled to Disney in October 2010. We spent a week at Port Orleans Riverside. We were in the Magnolia Bend section. Our check-in did not go as smoothly as I had hoped nor did the person checking us in tell us that there was a service that would take our luggage to our room (she didn't tell us how to get to the room either). However, there were other employees in the lobby who were very friendly, I think perhaps we just had one who was having an off day. We set off on foot to try and find our room and finally one of the employees helped us find our room and took our luggage. The room was very nice and very clean. It was also very quiet at night which is of utmost importance to me. I liked how you can "curtain-off" the bath area from the main room when dressing or just needing privacy. It is a very large resort which can be tiring to walk, but it's also great exercise! The scenery was beautiful and we saw lots of small animals (lizards, rabbits, squirrels, birds). The mousekeeper didn't leave many towel animals (which I was hoping for:) but that was ok. The Riverside Mill food court was also great!! The strawberry cheesecake was delicious, however, I didn't use the refillable mug nearly as much as I could have as it is quite a ways I would to walk just for a soda. The Sassagoula River cruise was also fantastic and was one of my favorite parts of the whole stay. We went to Downtown Disney almost every night. We never had to wait more than 15 or so minutes for a boat and the driver's were very nice. We also enjoyed the quiet pools- the larger pool had more people around and was louder. I would definitely reccommend it to a friend and if I return to Disney I will most likely stay here again.
EMMcKaig

Re: First Stay and First Trip to Disney

Unread post by EMMcKaig »

We go to POR every year. Only once did we have a problem at check-in and it was a doozy. The person checking us in turned me away at first, because I could not locate the actual slip of paper reservation that was sent in the mail. It did not matter that my name was in the system for the dates, I had proper identification as well as the reservation number and the credit card I used to reserve the room. Fortunately while I was waiting for her manager to come, my daughter went out to the car and found that slip of paper. This girl litterally told me that I was unable to get a room without that slip of paper - after 9 hours of driving I was not too pleased.

This however was an isolated incident. Check in for us before that trip and since then has always been smooth. We love this resort and consider it to be our home away from home. We will be back in April.