Vist 3/15/2009

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
frogcook

Vist 3/15/2009

Unread post by frogcook »

We just returned from Disney/POR. What a beautiful resort!

We arrived on Disney’s Magical Express. My husband waited for our carry-on luggage while I checked in. The check-in cast member was very pleasant, noted all our requests and wished us a Happy Anniversary. (We were celebrating our 20th!!!). Check in was quick, easy and efficient.

Our room, in the Acadian House/Magnolia Bend, was very nice and clean. We were greeted with a huge Mickey Head on our King-sized bed made from towels and wash-cloths. Mousekeeping did a great job each day and frequently left us towel creatures/designs. We took our I-Pod dog so we could listen to tunes and accidentally left it out on the table one day when headed to the parks. Mousekeeping made a dog out of washcloths that looked just like the I-Pod dog----soooo cute!

Our room was very close to the North bus terminal. The bus pick-ups were frequent. Our longest wait was 15 minutes. Our favorite bus driver was Sal. Sal entertained the bus with Disney trivia and song. It was so much fun seeing kids and adults joining in “M-I-C_K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E”……

Several postings warned that POR was a huge resort and to prepare yourself for lots of walking. The resort is large, but the beauty along the way distracted you from thoughts about the distance. The landscaping was gorgeous and we saw bunnies and various birds almost every day.

Fulton’s General Store was well stocked with the typical “tourist” items, but they also had much more to offer. Chips, loaf bread, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Water, sodas, juices, crackers, cookies, various minor medications, and even liquor and beer.

The Riverside Mill ,the walk-up counter diner, was very good. A large selection of items, grilled items, carving station, pasta bar, pizza bar, sandwich bar and a bakery. (The Beef and Blue-Cheese sandwich was so scrumptious!)

Boatwright’s, the dining restaurant, was very good too! In true Disney Magical fashion, when we arrived for our reservation, the staff already knew we were celebrating our anniversary. “Mickey” and the wait staff gave us a lovely anniversary card and the wait-staff made an announcement to everyone that we were celebrating our 20th. We felt so special! The Jambalaya is simply a must have! I commented on how much I enjoyed it and Wendy, our server, got me the recipe from the kitchen. I can’t wait to give it a try!

Our only “complaint” was that we never were able to get into the one and only hot-tub. Day or night it was filled with about 18-20 teenagers. (1st week of spring break) It would have been nice to be able to relax in the hot-tub after a long day of walking, but no big deal. There are several “quite” pools on the property which we opted to use as there were quite a few kids at the “big” pool.

We would recommend POR to anyone. We truly enjoyed our visit!