Arrived today

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
csnkrushin

Arrived today

Unread post by csnkrushin »

We arrived around 11am after taking a couple of days to drive down from CT. We had done online checking 10 days ago - no special requests. There was no line at registration and we were assigned a room, so we didnt have to wait untill 3. We had booked a royal room garden view and are in PP. we don't mind the walk and it really isn't far to the main pool or the mill building. Took the boat to DTD for lunch and to walk around. Going to head out to the main pool in in a few minutes to spend the rest of the afternoon there. The room is nice , a little dark, but my kids love it. :D So happy to be here!!!!
carolina24

Re: Arrived today

Unread post by carolina24 »

:mrgreen: So jealous, but I hope you guys have a wonderful time!
csnkrushin

Unread post by csnkrushin »

Thanks we did have a wonderful time. We were in room 9552 in Parterre Place and we enjoyed the walk to the main building and pool.. In Feb 2009 we were in Builidng 35 in the AB section- again not the closest building. My husband and kids liked the mansions better, I liked the mansions but think I perfered AB. But both are fabulous.
We loved the pool! The water slide was great. The pool was being referbished last time we were there. We did go to the campfire one evening - they had unlimted marshmellos and toasting sticks to toast over the fire, which the kids loved. Mid week I did laundry and sat and read by the quiet pool...the kids and hubby went swimming. The washing machines and dryers hold a lot of clothes. I washed and dried 2 loads...(6 days worth of laundry for 4 people, $2 per load to wash, $2 per load to dry. I had the dryer on high - might have been too hot, but everything was very dry)

This trip we the mousekeepers did not leave any towel creations for us. My daughter was a bit disappointed especially since last time the mousekeepers would arrange her stuffed animals very creatively, but I told her to be happy we were in WDW..and that we were very lucky last time.

We took the busses to the parks each day from the South Depot. Never waited more than about 15 minutes for a bus- usually less. Every day, except one, we got to the parks before they opened. We always had a seat. The only time the buss was standing room only was when we left Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom when the park closed.

When we were at POR there were 3 colors to choose from with the refillable mugs...I was hoping for 4, but oh well! Black, pink and a teal blue.

We didnt use the coffe maker in the room...just filled my mug in the morning and a night from the dining hall.

Just be careful with the refrigerator. I didnt realize it was turned down so low when we first arrived, later in the day I went to get something out and it was barely cold. I turned it up and froze everything in the fridge!

We took the boat to Downtown Disney one afternoon and walked to French Quarter to use the pool and eat in their dining hall one evening.

One thing that our famiy really enjoyed that we did this trip was at Hollywood Studios - we participated in the drawing class at the animation building. It was a lot of fun. A disney animator teaches you step by step how to draw a disney charater. We did the class early in the day and all learned how to draw grumpy, and you get to take your drawings home. Later that day we met up with friends of ours from here in CT that were also in Disney. They had never taken the class and so all 10 of us (4 adults and 6 kids) took the class - the last class of the evening. Nancy, the animator, didn't tell us what were were drawing...so we kept guessing. Everyone in the class was yelling out guesses - all of us wrong...and everyone was having a great time. We had drawn most of the charater...eyes, nose, mouth, top of the head, ears...and still noone knew what we were drawing. Nancy couldnt believe no one had guessed yet. She was laughing just as hard as the rest of us. Finally she drew the cleft in the chin and my 9 year old daughter yelled out "Buzz Lightyear". Which was correct. At the end of class, Nancy signed her drawing and gave it to my daughter. We are planning on framing it and hanging it in our home. It really is something fun and differnt to do. I highly recommend it - all 10 of us (ages 49 thru 5) loved it!
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

csnkrushin wrote:One thing that our famiy really enjoyed that we did this trip was at Hollywood Studios - we participated in the drawing class at the animation building. It was a lot of fun.
Yes, that's a real hidden gem, so many people don't even know it's there. I highly recommend it too.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
JohnB

Unread post by JohnB »

I/we were not aware of the drawing class. That definitly goes on the list of things to do on our next trip. We had the best time at Hollywood Studios, as well, and we were originally going to skip it. Thanks for the tip, and glad you had a great time.
Stef

Unread post by Stef »

Oh my gosh that class is going on my list of things to do too! I'm now going to drift off into a fantasy land where I take the class, find out I'm really good, get offered a job, move to Orlando and live happily ever after!!! Sigh.......,
Brock13

Unread post by Brock13 »

A Disneyland animator teaches you interval by manoeuvre how to describe a Disneyland character. We did the instruction primitive in the day and all scholarly how to describe grumpy, and you get to [take your drawings home].

[Edited by Admin to remove inappropriate translation]
UnlikelyDisFan

Unread post by UnlikelyDisFan »

Just made my list of to dos on the next trip for sure.

Thanks for the report and the tip on the drawing class.