Great to be Back to Riverside

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
nmcmurdo

Great to be Back to Riverside

Unread post by nmcmurdo »

Well, it has been two years since wee stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and I have to say, it was good to be back. Since our last visit my mobility has deteriorated somewhat and I require to use a wheelchair a lot of the time.

Due to this we tried to organize an accessible room when booking last November our tour operator was unable to do so. A few weeks before our holiday my wife phoned Disneyworld two weeks prior the holiday they couldn’t help as we did not have a Disney booking reference. Eighteen hours after leaving home we got to check-in resigned to having a ‘standard’ room, that is until the very helpful check in girls asked if we would like an accessible room over in Magnolia Bend. Superb! Within 30 minutes we were in our accessible room (roll in shower with seat and grab rails along with raise toilet and rails with a sliding door) She even phoned along to see if everything was okay)

All rooms at Riverside have been or are getting a makeover and are very comfortable, equipped with Air conditioning and ceiling fan, Fridge, Safe, Flat screen TV, Coffee making and Ironing facilities. The Queen size beds are very comfortable.

The resort itself has not hanged much since our visit in 2010. The grounds are well maintained and lend themselves well to nice strolls. Our room was near one of the satellite pools and laundry facilities which was handy.

The food court was as busy as I remember and the menus hadn’t, disappointingly, altered. Still, the staff turned orders around the food quickly and there was always a number of staff keeping tables clean. Just a pity they still use plastic cutlery. The newly opened Art of Animation resort manages to use metal cutlery so why can’t Riverside (or French Quarter for that matter)?

We were on the quick service dining plan which allowed us two quick service meals and two snacks a day along with a refillable mug. This proved really good value and we were able to use this at other hotels as well as appointed eateries throughout the parks.

The hotel seemed to have upped their entertainment schedule since our last visit, with more organized activities at the poolside as well and nightly outdoor showing of a film. Smaller children seemed to be well catered for also.

I went along to watch the legendary Yehaa Bob Jackson on the piano one evening and he had the place rocking! I kind of felt sorry for the bar staff though as I am sure his repertoire was exactly the same as two years ago.

The Disney Transportation system was as efficient as ever, with the wheelchair causing no problem to the efficient staff. On one occasion the door for the ramp would not open so the Driver called for another bus, which came within 5 minutes. Another plus about this hotel is that one can take a leisurely boat ride to DownTown Disney. The journey takes about 20 minutes and runs about every 15 minutes.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Port Orleans Riverside, made more so by the efficient and courteous girl on reception. :D