Our stay at Port Orleans Riverside "Royal Room"

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
carolina.broker

Our stay at Port Orleans Riverside "Royal Room"

Unread post by carolina.broker »

We just got back (Saturday night) from our stay at Port Orleans Riverside... First of all let me say we had an amazing time and our daughter (8) had the best time ever according to her :-) Our check-in was quick and the staff very friendly and helpful. My wife and I were slightly disappointed with the room as we upgraded (paid) for the Royal Room. The Royal Room is nothing more than a few props which my daughter quickly lost interest in by day two. The headboard which displays fireworks goes for a whopping 15 seconds and frankly she stopped hitting the button after day two of our week stay. Bottom line parents don't spend the extra for this room, it's not worth it in my opinion.

It was my understanding that the Royal Rooms were remodeled this year... I found this odd because we did find a few bugs, (nothing serious enough to call the front desk) and I soon found the culprit to be a lack of seal on our door. You could literally see daylight around the door when locked and since these rooms face the outside elements, any little critter could waltz in :-) One of the sinks had a painfully slow drain and water would fill up while shaving. We also noticed a lack of amble hot water in our room... my wife likes to take hot showers and we had to have the handle 100% hot to get any real warmth. If these rooms were remodeled, it wasn't done very well. Again these are little items, but just remodeled?

Overall... while the grounds and location are awesome, the room itself is no different than a Ramada Inn etc. Therefore do the math before you spend extra money here. In closing, I don't think this would be a resort we would visit again... not because it was a terrible experience, that's not the case. Rather the bang for the buck! I would be hard pressed to think that the value properties are any worse and you're spending a lot less. For us... we would either go high end Florida Grand or lower end All Star before we would go moderate again. In either case you know what you're getting.

I hope everyone has a magical vacation!
pdrazine

Re: Our stay at Port Orleans Riverside "Royal Room"

Unread post by pdrazine »

The Port Orleans resorts were "refurbished," not remodeled. What was done was pretty much redecorating, not structural stuff. The handicapped rooms were enlarged a bit to give them the 2 bed option (which I'm taking advantage of), but I don't think any other building changes were made.

I read posts today on another board from people whose kids, both boys and girls, really liked the Royal Rooms, so I think it's a matter of taste.
pegrad1

Re: Our stay at Port Orleans Riverside "Royal Room"

Unread post by pegrad1 »

I hope you let staff know of the issues you had to make it better for the next guest. Of course if you say nothing, nothing can be done to make you happier with your stay. We will be staying at this property in April in a River view room and my teenagers actually picked the room. Shocking that all of us agreed on one specific property all the way down to a room! :lol: I've seen some much better reviews about this room so I'm hoping this was an isolated incident. I'll keep thinking Disney positive! ;)