boat to Downtown Disney?

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
mem459

boat to Downtown Disney?

Unread post by mem459 »

My daughter and I are staying at POR 1st week of August (first time). Can anyone update me on the status of riverboat stops in Downtown Disney? I've read conflicting reports on the web about which boat stops are open for which resorts, etc. Any updated info would be most appreciated! Thanks!
MardiGroggy

Re: boat to Downtown Disney?

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

I'm interested in this also. We will be there in mid-September and will be looking for an update by then. The last I heard, all the PO boats are using the "middle" dock at Pleasure Island during the construction. The only thing I've heard about that changing was a brief note about the construction being scheduled for completion "in the Fall," whatever that means. Hopefully someone will help us out on this. If nothing else, I'd appreciate hearing from you after your visit in August. It is a bit of a trek from the middle dock to the Marketplace area, at least it is in the HEAT of August/September, so the quicker they get the East dock open again, the better my old legs will like it!

I'm also wondering how much the construction is messing up the view from the Lava Lounge at the Rainforest Cafe. We usually enjoy spending some time there to "refresh" ourselves. But the last time we were there (this spring, just before they closed that dock) the walls were closing in on that area.... Don't know if things will be better by September.

Trip reports have been a bit thin around here lately, but lets hope someone can help us out. :)
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
MardiGroggy

Looks like the Yellow Flag boats are using the Marketplace dock again at DTD:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/transportation/ ... routes.htm
MardiGroggy

grumpybearchemo

Unread post by grumpybearchemo »

I was expecting to have to use the pleasure island dock due to the construction. Thanks for the info
MardiGroggy

I've been trying to interpret some of the photos on the 'net, and it appears that the Marketplace dock has been relocated to the northeast of the old location and incorporated into a new pedestrian walkway/bridge between DTD and the Saratoga Springs resort. Arriving from the dock will bring you into the Marketplace closer to the bus terminal area, instead of right next to the Rainforest Cafe. This might "clean up" the view of the lake from the Lava Lounge (at least after the other construction is finished) and make that view more expansive toward the west side of DTD. Some of the construction-in-progress photos make it a little hard to fiqure perspectives, but overall the dock approach looks like it will be more of a "grand entrance" than before, coming in through a walkway that is closer to the parking lot. We'll be checking it out in another 27 days. :)
MardiGroggy

grumpybearchemo

I had trouble for a while working out where it was, I've never made the walk over to Saratoga before, but that would have to be my guess as to where it is now, I think it's a better place for it, it always looked messy and overcrowded around the marketplace, with cap n jacks, the boat rentals and the boat dock. And the wooden dock ramp into the marketplace for wheelchairs was horrid, my mum is in a wheelchair I've had to push her up in a manual wheelchair in the past and it's rattled her and my hands to pieces.
MardiGroggy

I hear that! When are you goin', grumpybear? If it is before 9/13, can you check back in and let me/us know what's happened? If not, I'll post an update, probably on 9/14, after we get a chance to look it over. Thanks.
MardiGroggy

grumpybearchemo

I got September 10th, so if I'm not completely caught up in the disney magic and remember to post I will defiantly bring u an update
MardiGroggy

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for that. Safe travels... :D
MardiGroggy

grumpybearchemo

Mousesteps has just posted this video of the new dock on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDboJkUK9Y
MardiGroggy

Cool! Thanks for the link. That is about the way I imagined it from the other photos.

It also looks like there will now be a completely unobstructed view of the construction work from the Lava Lounge... :P We plan on spending some time "refreshing" ourselves there while we are visiting next month. I guess it will all be very impressive when it is finished.
MardiGroggy

Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I'm here now (arrived last night) so will pop over to DTD at some point and get some pics.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
MardiGroggy

Thanks, Andre. Looking forward to your report.
MardiGroggy

MardiGroggy

We just returned from a recent visit and I'll offer a couple of observations for those who may still be following this thread. The new dock is exactly as described earlier. It is now at the far eastern end of the Marketplace area, and is incorporated into the new walkway (bridge) between DTD and Saratoga Springs. This makes the walk slightly longer from the boats to the main shops. It is closer, however, to the bus loading area, for anyone trying to make such connections. They did provide a roof over the waiting area, but not over the dock itself. Alas, like at the precious location, they did not provide any seating. This is something that my aging back and legs would greatly appreciate, but Disney doesn't seem willing to provide much seating for resting in other lines, or in the parks, so this is no surprise. The dock still serves both the POR Yellow and the West Side Red flag boats. During our visit, the boats were running on schedule at the times we were riding them, but I did notice that the boats filled quickly during peak use times. Even the relatively brief waiting periods were unpleasant during this visit, due to the oppressive heat, but WDW can't control the weather. We were expecting it to be very hot, so we were at least prepared for it.

The area where the old dock was located is now clear waterfront, with construction of the new walkway well under way. As near as I can tell from the artist drawings, the walkway will provide a bypass from the Marketplace area near the Rainforest Cafe to the central area of DTD. I suppose it will be handy for those who want to skip the shops/heavy foot traffic in the Marketplace, but other than that I can't quite figure why they are spending that amount of money for just a walkway. The future will tell, of course.
MardiGroggy

MardiGroggy

Just noticed that my last post contains the phrase: "Alas, like at the precious location,..." That should say: "...at the previous location..." Apparently the auto spelling corrector in my computer wasn't successfully following my chain of thought! Sorry for the error, but this site limits the time allowed for editing posts, and I didn't catch it soon enough. :oops:
MardiGroggy