Electric Output Sockets for mobile devices

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
andrew42

Electric Output Sockets for mobile devices

Unread post by andrew42 »

Are there electric socket points in all rooms at Port Orleans to charge mobile devices?
MardiGroggy

Re: Electric Output Sockets for mobile devices

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Yes, but... I usually bring along a multiple outlet strip. That way I know I will have enough outlets in one spot. Otherwise, you might have your devices scattered around the room, depending on how many you have and how big the plugs are. Some chords have the transformer right at the plug, others not. If you have a "big" plug it can block the second outlet on a standard duplex outlet. Having a strip allows for spreading them out a bit, and keeping them in one location.
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
andrew42

Unread post by andrew42 »

Many Thanks.As we are travelling from the UK i guess we will need the US two point plug adaptor to plug into the wall?
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Yes, the rooms are equipped with the current U.S. standard 3 prong grounded outlets. A 2 prong adapter will work just fine. Again, if you have a European multi strip you may be able to get by with one adapter for the strip, to power multiple devices. Otherwise, you will need an adapter for each. Andre, being a fellow Brit, my have better advice on this.
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

There are three easily accessible double-socket points in rooms: one next to the table/chairs, one beside the bed nearest the bathroom, and one next to the sinks which is where the hairdryer plugs in (which would never be allowed in the UK!). There is also one spare socket behind the bedside table (good for night-time charging) but you'll need to reach down behind the table to access it.

I would suggest taking 3-4 US -> UK travel adaptors with you (available from Poundland/etc), plus one or two lightweight UK multi-way extension blocks (so you can plug an UK extension block into a US wall-socket via a travel adaptor for example).

US two-pin plugs always seem to be somewhat precarious to me, especially with any weight on the cable, so another option would be this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Extensi ... daptor+usa . It has a decent three-pin USA plug on one end and then a multi-way UK extension block on the other end, plus some USB sockets to save carrying too many chargers. A bit expensive, but if you're any good with wiring a plug you could make your own for just the four-way socket part (I did).

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Taking a "4-gang" as we call them in the UK is the best single travel "tip" I've ever had and it's even more relevant in todays world of multiple devices, tablets etc. As a regular visitor over the years, I too have bought a proper moulded US 2 pin plug lead and wired it to an old UK 4gang as the newer ones tend to be moulded rather than screwed together. It now has 4 uk sockets one end, and a proper US plug on the other end so it stays int he wall.

I also have a block that has 4 USB sockets and can charge 4 devices from the one socket. It operates from a radio lead, and I intend replacing the UK version with one from Walmart on my next trip.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I assume you mean you wired a proper US moulded THREE-pin lead onto your 4-way socket? That was one of the reasons I made my own extension lead up, that the three-pin earthed US plugs are so much more robust than the flimsy 2-pin ones.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Not quite - it was a moulded 2 pin US lead wired to a UK 4 gang. It was however a much more substantial plug than most of the other 2 pin ones I've seen, especially travel adapters.
When I go to Walmart for my radio lead, if i see a 3 pin US plug I might buy it and replace my 2 pin, as I feel safer with an earth, even though it's only for chargers.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I had a boxful of US moulded power leads that came with purchased equipment that were all being binned, so I grabbed a few and made extension leads. Very robust and useful. I always take some travel adapters too, in case we want to use other sockets too.

Andre