Tell us where to go for 37th birthday

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
Mrswoody2009

Tell us where to go for 37th birthday

Unread post by Mrswoody2009 »

Hello there, it's my husbands 37th birthday while we are at port Orleans riverside in January 2017. This will be the third time we have stayed at Walt Disney World and the second time we stayed at Port Orleans. It's been nearly 3 years since we've last been, and I know lot is changed ( Disney Springs). His birthday is on the Tuesday and we wanted ideas and suggestions of what we could do to celebrate him still being under 40!
So feel free to give us ideas as would like to do something different compared to what we would normally do which is go to the house of blues as we both like blues music.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tell us where to go for 37th birthday

Unread post by Admin »

An interesting question, what sort of things does he like? Some sort of sporting event at ESPN maybe? One of the new restaurants at Disney Springs? Or is he more of a Disney fan, maybe an Illuminations or Wishes cruise (would be expensive for just two of you though).

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Luke_Woodward

Unread post by Luke_Woodward »

Wow my wife has joined this site. Yes I turn 37 while at the port. I do love blues music and normally we choose the house of blues as our choice of place to celebrate stuff as we love the atmosphere. We thought it would be great to think outside of our normal box for a good shindig.
It's a shame it's a Tuesday as we do love Bob but he plays weekends Or he did back in 2014. I do love rugby union but I doubt there is any on, on a Tuesday. We are both Disney nuts so a sparkling desert party like they do at Epcot might be good. However We wondered if there were any hidden gems that we a) might not thought of b) didn't exist back in 2014. I am also a sucker of Star wars and wondered what people thought of DHS fireworks. We also are excited for the sunset safari and rivers of light at AK and that is a possibility. Anyway thank you for reading and look forward to seeing any advice people have
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Sounds like you've already put a fair amount of thought into this. As you know, Disney Springs has a whole lot of new food options, as well as new shopping, if you are looking for a birthday present (beyond just being at WDW, of course). As far as PO is concerned, check the Scat Cat's schedule for Jason and Billy. I haven't seen them in person yet, which I will be doing in about a month, but their videos look very promising, as do guest comments. And they seem to have some Tuesday dates, which, as you noted, Bob does not. Otherwise, there is always a carriage ride. I recommend the loop around French Quarter, as opposed to the Mansions side of the river, but that's just personal preference. If you are looking elsewhere, why not consider one of the special behind the scenes tours. We've done several of them over the years and enjoyed them all, as an alternative to taking the usual rides for the 100+ time. The last one we did was the steam trains tour, which was very interesting if you are into trains. You just have to get up early for that one. Another thing that we have done, and will do again on our next visit, is the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise. It is a bit on the corny side and more for the kids, BUT, it is a great view of the MK fireworks, without having to fight the crowds in the park. Max of 60 people on the boat and an unobstructed view of the action, complete with synchronized sound track. We've done that in lieu of paying admission to spend the day at MK during the summer heat. It is weather permitting, of course. Check Youtube for some videos of some of these things.

Whatever you decide, have a happy, magical birthday. I'll be celebrating mine also in a few weeks, but I'll be more than twice as far along as you. :P
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"