Car Rental ??

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Car Rental ??

Unread post by Admin »

Disney don't rent cars, but there are plenty of places on-site at WDW that do. Many can collect you direct from the hotel and take to you their rental office. National are based at the Disney Car Care Center next to the Magic Kingdom, while another company (I forget which) is based at the Swan/Dolphin hotel area.

I normally tend to use Dollar, and they have an office at the first hotel in Hotel Plaza Boulevard, right next to Downtown Disney (only a few minutes walk from where the Port Orleans water ferry drops you off at DTD). I would suggest arranging your pickup lateish the previous night, so you can make an early start and then drop the car off when you get back from your trip.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
royhan

Unread post by royhan »

It is, in fact, Dollar who are based in the hotel referred to. This hotel has changed its name about four times that I know of. I believe it is now called the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort. It is the first hotel on the left when leaving DTD
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Coming from the UK, we use the magical express, then get a car from the car care centre at some point on day 2 or 3, the provider of the car is not overly of concern to us provided it's one of the big companies, and they operate out of the car care centre. There is a phone number to call the CCC and you arrange a time with them for the free (with tip) shuttle that comes to collect you at your hotel. We've always been offered times an hour apart when prearranging. If you ring up and ask for as soon as they can, you might have to wait a while if they are busy though the one time we did that we got lucky and it was pretty quick.
They send a magic shuttle that you've never noticed before on property, but once you've been in them you are then able to spot them regularly.

We use the car care, not the airport, for a few reasons. The car care centre saves us having to hire for the full duration of the holiday, we typically only hire for 10 days in the middle of a 2week holiday and picking a car up a day or two after arrival is a whole lot safer. Driving when tired is a statistically more dangerous than a normal drive, after a long 9hr flight, for which get up at about 1AM US time, we're tired. We're also having to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road when tired, and to make that even worse you also drive on the wrong side of the car as well. Throw in the airport environment and not wanting to get lost, this is a risk not worth taking when there are very good, free alternatives. (and the happy video on the bus). Add to that the financial saving for not hiring for 2 full weeks, and that we also only need a car big enough for the people, not the people and their bags, and it's car care for us every time.

We did once use the Swan/Dolphin (forget which!) and got there on the boat from epcot or the studios, it was also an OK option, as we did a bit in the park, then took their bus back and collected the car mid afternoon, but the car care is easier. Never used Wyndham LBV, as I didn't realise it was an option until recently, and we haven't been back since. But will consider it for next time, especially if we're back at Riverside.
curseoftheninja

Unread post by curseoftheninja »

My wife and I rented a car from the Car Care Center. We set up the rental in advance, and they sent a shuttle to pick us up at Port Orleans.

It was pretty painless. My suggestion is make sure it is set up ahead of time, that way you do not have to wait a long time for the shuttle.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I've just closed this thread as it was a spam magnet. The first post was probably spam anyway, but I let that one slide as the other initial replies were useful to real people too, until the spammers came back again just now.

Please see http://www.portorleans.org/magical-express.php and http://www.portorleans.org/transportation.php for more information on Magical Express, general ground transportation and car hire in the Walt Disney World area, or start a new thread if you have a specific question not already covered.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -