Room Request

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
Daha1120

Room Request

Unread post by Daha1120 »

Hi,
Staying end of January in a Royal Suite it's our girls first Disney stay 3 and 6! Wondering what to request for a room at my 60 day check in? I know corner room but do I also want near transportation (we have 4 early morning breakfasts) only planning on using there buses! I am also debating a double stroller. Any tips and advice would be appreciated! Thank You!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Room Request

Unread post by Admin »

You can't request much via the online checkin page, there are a few tickboxes but that's about it. You would be better having requests added to the reservation by phone, and then 3-5 days before arrival send a fax. I would suggest simply asking for a room close to the footbridge leading to the main buildings & South Depot bus stop first, and then mention a corner room would be nice. Upper floor rooms can be a bit quieter for adults, but with kids and possible a stroller I would definitely ask for a ground floor room. See www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php .

For a 3 year old a stroller would be almost essential, and I think the 6 year-old would welcome a sit down when walking back from the parks too. You can rent locally for far cheaper than Disney's in-park prices and then you've got it for your whole stay and around the resorts too. If you're there for a while it might be cheaper to buy one from WalMart, or even online for delivery to the hotel, rather than the daily rental costs - and you could pass it forward to another family when you leave.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

If I may, just a couple of suggestions from a non-parent observer. First, make sure that whatever stroller you get can be easily folded for travel. That will be required for any Disney bus transport, as well as some of the other transport options. I've watched folks struggling with apparently unfamiliar strollers, juggling the kids, packages, etc., and generally having a tough time keeping up with the pace of things. Second, you probably want to give some thought to the configuration of any double stroller. Side-by-sides take up a lot of room when trying to navigate through heavy crowds, and such crowds are a given at the theme parks. In-line doubles take up less width, but are, of course, longer. They may be easier to maneuver, however. Having two single strollers may or may not be more flexible, but is more of a logistics hassle. I agree with Andre that the kids will probably appreciate the ride, especially as the day wears on and they (and you) become tired. My main reason for mentioning all of this is that I have seen some obvious "stroller fails" by folks who didn't anticipate the difference between pushing one around your typical mall and navigating around and through the Disney parks and transportation system. It is a whole different "World." Best of luck with your decision. :)
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Daha1120

Unread post by Daha1120 »

Thank you both so much! I have a travel agent so to make my room requests do I have to ask her or call POR? Sorry it's our first time!
I'm so stressed about the stroller. I may just get a single and let them take turns I know if I got two singles if the walk it will be hard to hold there hands! I rather not get a stroller but I know my little one will need breaks!
A friend of mine told me about this site and it is amazing! I love it!! I recommend it every time I see that someone is staying here! I can't wait til our trip. 10 weeks to go :)
Now I have to stress about fast passes lol
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Yes, ask your travel agent to get your requests added to the advanced booking. Disney (via their main reservations number) may be able to do it too, but often they can't update notes on third-party bookings until close to arrival time. I would definitely suggest faxing 3-5 days before arrival though, as that way you can put the request in your own words direct to the room assignment team, rather than it going through several people in the meantime.

If you do only get a single stroller, can you really see both your kids remaining happy at being asked to take in it turns when heading back from the parks at night after a long day's walking? It might be OK, but could cause a bit of friction... Is the younger one perhaps small enough to sit on the older one's lap in cases like that?

Glad you like the site, I hope you find it proves useful to you.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Specmonolg wrote:I think the issue that you put forward, I have learned.
So pleased to hear that. Have you also learned that spamming is bad and gets your account privileges immediately revoked I wonder? ;)

Andre
neerod

Unread post by neerod »

Hello, we are going to be staying at Port Orleans in April this year, my husband has mobility difficulties and due to high cost of rooms I booked the basic thinking that would be fine as we just need somewhere to sleep. I have emailed WDW and they said I would have to pay for the preferred room to enable us to be close to amenities, is this always the way or will they help people who have difficulty walking?
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

neerod wrote:Hello, we are going to be staying at Port Orleans in April this year, my husband has mobility difficulties and due to high cost of rooms I booked the basic thinking that would be fine as we just need somewhere to sleep. I have emailed WDW and they said I would have to pay for the preferred room to enable us to be close to amenities, is this always the way or will they help people who have difficulty walking?
There are a number of rooms which are still fairly close to the main buildings/etc but that are not technically Preferred Location status - for example ground floor in the Magnolia Terrace building near to the footbridge which crosses to Ol' Man Island. However guest relations are right in that if you particularly want to stay in a Preferred Location room then that is what you should book, as they won't be able to bump paying guests to accommodate someone else should that section happens to be full (which is rare, but it can happen).

I would suggest you give the Special Needs / Accessibility department a call on 1-407-939-7807 though, they should be able to help. Depending on the particular case, and particularly in situations where wheelchair access is required for the bathroom, they can liaise with the resort to arrange to have a specific room pre-blocked for you.

You can also try faxing the resort about 5 days before you arrive reiterating any special requests that you may have made, see http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php .

Andre
nolazach

Unread post by nolazach »

Hello, I have been reading this board for a while, joined today.

I am staying in a few weeks and wanted to get a ground floor.

We have pool view royal rooms. I wanted to know if i should try and request patierre place as it only has two rooms pool view so it sounds like that may be a choice location.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

nolazach wrote: I am staying in a few weeks and wanted to get a ground floor.

We have pool view royal rooms. I wanted to know if i should try and request patierre place as it only has two rooms pool view so it sounds like that may be a choice location.
I would request Ground Floor first, adding that you'd prefer to be in Parterre Place if possible. As there is only one possible room that matches both requests there's a good chance it may not be available, so make sure the Ground Floor is the priority.

Andre
bucodabelle

Unread post by bucodabelle »

nolazach wrote:Hello, I have been reading this board for a while, joined today.

I am staying in a few weeks and wanted to get a ground floor.

I wood request online first and then fax my request five days before your arrival date best wishes