Should I purchase water from Garden Grocer?

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
nolagrace1202

Should I purchase water from Garden Grocer?

Unread post by nolagrace1202 »

Hi everyone!

I am planning our trip in January 2017 and am wondering what the water situation is at the resort? I am putting together my food/drink list for Garden Grocer and am not sure if i need water for our room or what items anyone recommends we purchase to have at the room while we are there for a week! We have a 5 and almost 3 year old. Thank you so much :)
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Should I purchase water from Garden Grocer?

Unread post by Admin »

A bit of a tricky one to answer as it depends on your preferences. You can always drink the tap water, and the water from the drinks dispensers, but some people say it has a slightly chlorinated taste that they don't like. As long as it's cold though I'm fine with it, but warm it tastes a bit less pleasant. You can buy cases of water from the hotel shop, so you need to work out whether a small order from somewhere like Garden Grocer is worth it for the shipping costs.

We tend to pop over to WalMart on our first day and get a case of water bottles (just for convenience to carry around at the parks really), and snacks for the room such as chips, cookies, fresh fruit, etc, but you do need to have access to a car to do that.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
MardiGroggy

Re: Should I purchase water from Garden Grocer?

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

I agree with Andre about the water. As a resident of a FL town that often overdoes the chlorine in the muni water system, I am now used to using bottled water for drinking. The water at WDW is less of a problem than our local stuff, but when my wife and I go, we take along regular bottled water and some flavored water (Propel). My wife, being the coffee drinker in our household, uses the regular water in the coffee maker, as she prefers that to the water from the tap. There is plenty of bottled water available on site, but it is cheaper if we bring it from home. They also sell water by the case at the gas stations, if you have a car. We also bring other drinks, snacks, etc., which would be nice for your kids if they have favorites that make them feel comfortable. Just remember that the refrigerators do not have freezer compartments, so don't plan on keeping anything frozen. Also, the amount of stuff that you bring/order may depend on whether it must be kept refrigerated, or can just be stored in a corner and put in the fridge for a while before using. I mention that because they are just basic small units and you don't want to over-purchase on items that need space in the fridge. One final thought, you will probably grab/impulse purchase a lot of food/drinks/snacks as you roam around (seriously, who can resist?), and therefore may use less than you planned from your room stash. When we leave we just load the extras into the car and bring them home. But in your case, leftovers may become "leave-behinds" if it is not convenient to take them with you or ship them back home. Just a thought, as you seem to be a careful planner. By the way, January is usually a great month to visit WDW. Enjoy!
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"