Honeymoon Suggestions Anyone?

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
wilshade

Honeymoon Suggestions Anyone?

Unread post by wilshade »

Hello all. I am brand spanking new to this site and from the looks of things, I will be very happy here!

My fiancee and I have booked our honeymoon trip for the first week of November 2017. Its been a while since I last visited WDW (2008) and I am no longer sure about a lot of things. My experience tells me that Disney goes out of its way to make special occasions all the more magical. But, I am not sure about a lot of things now. I hope you folks can help.

Who do I mention to about us celebrating our honeymoon? Does POFQ have a concierge or guest relations desk for that stuff? What are the most romantic restaurants? In short, what have you guys experienced that would help to create a Disney magical honeymoon.

Oh, and one very important thing . . . She has never been to WDW! So, I gotta be careful about overwhelming her.

Thanks all!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Honeymoon Suggestions Anyone?

Unread post by Admin »

First, congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon. I'm sure you'll have a great time at Port Orleans.

What category of room have you got booked? Booking a King Bed room might be a thought, not only for the larger bed but also as that category of room are all corner rooms at POFQ, which gives you an extra window making them more light and airy, something a lot of people request. You could also put in a special request a river view and still remain within the King Bed category as there are a good number of King rooms which overlook the Sassagoula River.

You can phone the booking line now to get any requests added to your reservation, and make sure they note the fact that it is your honeymoon. You can also fax a few days before your arrival to re-confirm any requests, which often helps.

It might be a nice treat to pre-book a horse-drawn carriage ride one evening while you are there, it's a lovely relaxing 25 minute ride around both Port Orleans resorts (starting at the Riverside marina).

Restaurant options at WDW are many and varied, and depend a lot on your food preferences and budget, but there are some lovely choices at the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary to look at. Might be better to ask in a more general forum though, such as the DISboards Restaurants section. For meal bookings at any of the popular/high-end locations though, you probably ought to book them 180 days out from your arrival date when the availability is released. Don't expect to arrive at the resort and then get someone to find you a table at places like Le Cellier, Be Our Guest or the California Grill.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
JohnB

Unread post by JohnB »

First of all, congrats on your wedding/honeymoon.....

We will also be there during the 1st week of November, celebrating our 35th (actually our 36th, but it takes us awhile to get our funding together..:)

This will be our 3rd time at POR, and in our biased opinion, you could not have selected a better resort for your stay. So much for you to see and do, I do not know where to start. A major perk for staying here is the boat rides to and from Disney Springs, which we enjoy as an alternative to the 4 parks.

Keep researching and I am sure you will come up with many more things to see and do then what you will have time for....

Congrats again, and see you in November!

John B
Albany
wilshade

Unread post by wilshade »

Andre,

I did book a king bed room but I didn't know they were all corner rooms. That works out great. The fiancee wants to be as close to the pool as possible. So, I'll try for that. Thanks for the carriage idea. I will definitely book one.

John,

Thanks for the encouraging words about the hotel. The last time I was at WDW was back in 2008. Stayed at POP back then. Just stated my research and have found so much has changed! I do remember seeing the imagineers poking around the MK turnstiles and i overheard them talking about creating a new system. I guess the wrist band idea is what they came up with.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

There are a few nice pool-view King Bed rooms in building 2. There are also some lovely river-ish views at the ends of buildings 2 or 5, although I'd suggest trying for the ones in 5 as the river end of building 2 is quite close to the boat dock and you might get some noise from the ferries. 5x23 would be perfect, with the top floor 5323 being my choice as there's less noise on the top floor and there are stairs and an elevator very near by. See the floorplans linked from the map on http://www.portorleans.org/frenchquarte ... dation.php .

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Welcome Wilshade! Good advice so far, but I'll try to add my .02. Early November should be fairly decent weather, or at least past the worst of the heat and humidity. They won't quite be doing their Christmas activities, decorations, etc. yet, but the place may be less crowded.

I definitely agree on booking a carriage ride, BUT, be aware that there are two possible routes that the carriages might take. One goes down the Mansions side of the river and the other makes a loop around the French Quarter. I'm partial to the French Quarter route myself, but you need to let them know which way you prefer. Otherwise, you'll get whatever the driver chooses. Both are good, but FQ is more romantic! Either ride is about 25 minutes duration.

Let the cast members know you are on your honeymoon whenever you can, if you want the extra attention. This is especially true when you make your room assignment requests, as special occasions seem to help with getting your location wishes. As mentioned earlier, Bldgs. 2 and 5 are on either side of the pool. The building layout maps here are a great resource for figuring out your room requests. Most King rooms at FQ are in great locations, whatever the views, but the King rooms in Bldg. 4, in my experience, are the least desirable Kings on the property. Some of them face the parking lot. I usually request anywhere but 4, if I'm booking a King room. Bldg. 2 is closest to the pool, the boats and the main building, if all three are important to you. Don't worry too much about the noise from the boats. We've stayed as close as you can get to the boat dock and the horns are not annoyingly loud. Yes, they are using standard boating signals as they approach and leave, but remember that the boats only operate from 10am to about midnight, so unless you turn in early, or get up really late, they are no bother. These were both taken from outside our room during our visit earlier this month:

The boats are important because they connect you with all of the things to do at Disney Springs, including about any kind of dining you could want, romantic or otherwise. I suggest you take some time studying about the various restaurants and I'm sure you'll find plenty to make your stay special. I almost hate to let this cat out of the bag on a public forum, but a really cool dining experience is to eat out on the boat dock at the Boat House restaurant (weather permitting, of course) where seating is on a first-come basis. You can sometimes find a great spot out there with no waiting, when the rest of the place is at capacity. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I had a great meal on the Boat House dock, just at sunset, and we were the only ones sitting in the immediate area (the tables are tucked in between the boats that are docked there on display). Most romantic! In fact, most restaurants that have a bar and/or outside seating don't take reservations for those areas, so you can get right in if your timing is right. It is the same food, so if you don't mind sitting at the bar or being outside (which is usually tolerable in November), you can beat the waiting line.

There are a lot of other tips we can give you, but it is easier to answer specific questions, if you have any, so don't be shy about asking. Hope you enjoy planning your visit!
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"