A Couple of Updates

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
MardiGroggy

A Couple of Updates

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

We were at PO, staying at the FQ, for Mardi Gras in February. Unfortunately, some other issues have taken priority over the past few weeks and I am just now finding the time to report on that visit. As far as the Mardi Gras activities, they were a blast, and I'll have some info to post about that as soon as my photos are available. I'll also have a few comments about the FQ food court. For now however, I want to post a couple of things that don't really have anything to do with either of those topics, as they fall under the heading of "other misc. stuff."

First of all, there are now two versions of the MagicKeepers available in both gift shops. They are an alternative to wearing the new 2.0 Magic Bands on your wrist. One version has a carabiner and is oval shaped, and the other has a clip and a Mickey head shape. In both cases, for those not familiar, the center "puck" from the new 2.0 Magic Bands can be removed and put into the MagicKeeper by removing (and re-installing) the two small screws. A screwdriver is included with the Keepers. Both versions are basic black, but that seems to be all that is available so far, even at the online Disney Store. Those who don't like the wrist bands, for whatever reason, now have alternate carry options.

Second, we noted again (as we did during our December visit) that the boat taxi Captains seem to have a certain amount of flexibility in their resort stops after the 4:00 PM changeover. Technically, after that hour the boats go directly between each resort and DS, not serving both resorts with each boat. That is still the policy, but we found on many of our trips up and down the river in the evenings that the boat captains would take guests to either place, IF there was a slack period and the boats were not at capacity. As I said, it seems to be at the discretion of the Captains, based on how busy things are, but I'm mentioning it here so that you know to pay close attention to the Captains when they are loading the boats at the Marketplace. They make these decisions "on the fly" and you might miss a faster ride if you let your mind wander while a line is boarding. Personally, I'm happy that they are doing this, as it got us back to our resort much sooner than if we had to wait for the proper boat. Again, don't expect this when it is busy, but be alert. You might save yourself some time!

As I mentioned earlier, I'll have more on Mardi Gras and the Sassagoula Floatworks soon. If you follow this site on Facebook, you probably have seen most of the photos already. But I'll post some here as soon as I can.
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
MardiGroggy

Re: A Couple of Updates

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Here is a photo of the MagicKeepers. They are now available at Fulton's and Jackson Square.

MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Thorpy

Re: A Couple of Updates

Unread post by Thorpy »

I'd imagine that getting on the first boat available and walking from there would be quicker in most cases than waiting for the "right" boat anyway.

We do that with the busses from time to time, catch the first one available and walk between resorts.