NEW with lots of questions

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
Perfect10

NEW with lots of questions

Unread post by Perfect10 »

Hi, we have been to Florida a few times but we have never stayed at Port Orleans Riverside before and this is our first time using Disney transport.
We hope to use facilities and both Riverside & French quarter (if that's ok) we love exploring and looking around and the pool at FQ looks great for our children who will be 14, 11 & 4 when we go (July so not too long to go now)
I would just love some hints and tips, what's not to be missed? What the busses are like, we have two early morning ADR bookings during our stay so need to be at magic kingdom for 7:30am.
What is your favourite things at port Orleans?
Your favourite snacks?
Favourite meals?
I have read about a bar with a guy playing the piano? Is this for children or adults only?
What is there for children?
We only have 9 nights so don't want to miss anything and want to make the most of it.
Thank you
Admin
Site Admin

Re: NEW with lots of questions

Unread post by Admin »

A few quick thoughts to get the ball rolling:

The main POR pool is every bit as fun as the FQ one (the slide is better in fact) but it obviously don't have the Mardi Gras theming.

I didn't know you could get ADRs for 7:30am at the MK, but if your meals are really that early then you might be better getting a taxi or Uber as the buses don't officially start until 7am. Normally I'd suggest being at the POR South bus stop about an hour before your ADR to allow enough safety time.

Bob Jackson's show at the River Roost Lounge is definitely family friendly and a great deal of fun, don't miss it.

For other recreation activities, see http://www.portorleans.org/recreation.php . The horse-drawn carriage rides are really relaxing, especially around dusk. And hiring a Surrey Bike and riding around the resort is great fun for the kids.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Perfect10

Unread post by Perfect10 »

Thank you very much, our ADR is only at 8.05am but we would like to get to MK for 7:30am so we are not panicking and rushing down mainstream (with the bag check taking longer etc)
We are all so excited, it looks such a beautiful resort
andyb1126

Unread post by andyb1126 »

You will absolutely love it, it's such a beautiful resort.

We stayed here last year and planned on staying at Caribbean Beach this summer but after the construction news we didn't hesitate in coming back to Riverside. Feels like we are coming home!

As mentioned the Surrey bikes are loads of fun, and the carriage ride is nice and relaxing.

There's also the Movies Under The Stars where they handout towels to lay down and free popcorn.

Enjoy!!
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

as well as what others have said...

I'd recommend the make your own pasta and the make your own salads at Riverside.
The water taxi to Disney springs I don't think has been mentioned, which is a wonderfully relaxing ride.
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Well, first and foremost I strongly recommend that you spend time reading all the amazingly detailed information that Andre has accumulated on this website. This is quite simply THE definitive resource for anything related to Port Orleans. Secondly, I encourage you to browse the old threads for a wealth of information from folks who have contributed their trip reports and have asked and answered many (if not most) of the same questions. This site is truly a gold mine of information, for those who take the time to look around. As far as your specific questions:

My favorite things at Port Orleans are the quiet, laid-back ambiance, the wonderful cast members, the variety of things to do for all ages and the easy access to Downtown Disney, especially via the boats. Start by checking the activity schedules, but don't be shy about asking cast members for recommendations while you are here. There may be things that you would otherwise miss. If you are thinking about the carriage rides, make sure you book your ride in advance. They can be busy and walk-up rides can happen, but are not guaranteed. One comment about the surrey bike rentals, or any bike rental for that matter, make sure you check on where they can be used, as there are paths around the resort that are closed to the surrey bikes, and they don't want you to use the regular bikes on the park roadways. It is best to find this out before you pay your money. Personally, I would have rented the surrey bikes a long time ago, if they could be used throughout the resort, but that is not the case.

You can use the facilities at both Riverside and French Quarter and it is well worth the time to do so. Each has its own personality and features. For example, the splash area for the kids at FQ, which is not available at Ol' Man Island.

The "guy playing the piano" is, of course, YeHaa Bob Jackson. As others have mentioned, don't miss his show! He is an official "Disney Legend" who has been at the River Roost for 20 years. I recommend checking his personal website http://yehaabob.com/ (bottom right corner) for his performance schedule during your visit time. He is normally there Wed-Sat nights, but he is off from time to time, so it is best to check to make sure you are not disappointed. Mark King, who usually subs for him is a great guy, but it is not the same kind of show.

Snacks and meals, well, I'll leave that to someone else. I hate to make food recommendations as people's likes and dislikes vary greatly. I'll just say that you should be able to find something that suits you, and if you don't, just head down to Disney Springs!

I didn't see where you mentioned when you will be there, but there may also be some seasonal or holiday things going on, depending on when you are going to be there.

And don't forget to check out the Photo Gallery page. I think there must be photos of everything at Port Orleans somewhere in those albums!

Best of luck with your trip planning, and don't be shy about asking any other questions.
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"