New automated room allocation, shud I still fax room request

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
Disneyholic

New automated room allocation, shud I still fax room request

Unread post by Disneyholic »

There will be myself and hubby, 7yr old daughter, 2yr old son and 8 week old baby when we arrive at POR in a few weeks, so we'll have double buggy etc to contend with (didn't actually plan on or know we would be having another baby when we booked last year!). We booked direct with Disney, but their UK Travel office.
I was planning to fax a request for a ground floor room, reasonably close to the main buildings if possible, about 5-6 days before arrival. However, on the DIBB people are posting to say that the room allocation is no longer done in resort and is completely automated, and that unless you have paid extra to be in a certain block eg AB block 15-16 (which are supposedly now preferred rooms or something) that your room requests will just be ignored/binned and the best that you can do if given an unsuitable room is hope that the CM checking you in can find you something better, but subject to availability. Is this correct?
I was wondering how it would work if we did online checkin, I read something about that on here a while ago but not sure if available to UK guests?
Thanks
1st visit to POR Aug-Sep 2011
WDW offsite LBV Sep-Oct 2009
WDW offsite Kissimee May 2008
WDW offsite Aug 1988
+ 7 visits to DLP since 2006
Admin
Site Admin

Re: New automated room allocation, shud I still fax room req

Unread post by Admin »

Online checkin should be available to all guests, just need your reservation number.

Not sure about how they are doing room allocations now (will ask in a couple of weeks) but I figure what's the harm in sending a fax anyway? Probably do it 2-3 days before your arrival date. What have you got to lose?

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Disneyholic

I'm with you on the what have I got to lose thing, when chatting to husband last night that's what we agreed, if we do it and it's ignored nothing lost but I'd kick myself if I didn't do it and they could have allocated us a room near the main blocks. I'm not too bothered which block, but don't want to have to do stairs so upstairs at AB is definitely out, there are lifts in Magnolia Bends so that wouldn't be too bad, though would prefer to not be at the furthest point from the lift as the blocks look pretty big!
WDW offsite Aug 1988
disneygirl

Unread post by disneygirl »

Disneyholic wrote:I'm with you on the what have I got to lose thing, when chatting to husband last night that's what we agreed, if we do it and it's ignored nothing lost but I'd kick myself if I didn't do it and they could have allocated us a room near the main blocks. I'm not too bothered which block, but don't want to have to do stairs so upstairs at AB is definitely out, there are lifts in Magnolia Bends so that wouldn't be too bad, though would prefer to not be at the furthest point from the lift as the blocks look pretty big!

I do find that the nearer you are to the lifts and stairs the more noise you get...As so many people have to go past your door at all times of the morning and night. We tend to ask for one well out of the way from lifs and stairs as its really not that much further to walk in the scheme of things!! :D
First Visit to POFQ May 1995
Off site in Kissimmee June 1996 (never again)
POR nearly every year since although we did go to Wilderness Lodge one year which was also really nice.
Off site LBV this year 2011 (Wyndham LBV - was just OK but never again)
Disneyland Paris - too many times to count but prob about 20 (not a patch on WDW)
The hubby has been to Disneyland California but was too young to really remember much.
Disneyholic

disneygirl wrote:I do find that the nearer you are to the lifts and stairs the more noise you get...As so many people have to go past your door at all times of the morning and night. We tend to ask for one well out of the way from lifs and stairs as its really not that much further to walk in the scheme of things!! :D
Good point, i'm still hoping we can get a ground floor room, will be much easier with a double buggy. I don't mind walking (I walk miles every day at home)
WDW offsite Aug 1988
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Disneyholic wrote:
disneygirl wrote:I do find that the nearer you are to the lifts and stairs the more noise you get...As so many people have to go past your door at all times of the morning and night. We tend to ask for one well out of the way from lifs and stairs as its really not that much further to walk in the scheme of things!! :D
Good point, i'm still hoping we can get a ground floor room, will be much easier with a double buggy. I don't mind walking (I walk miles every day at home)
The point of view regards dragging a buggy up and down stairs is a very pertinent one. Why do it if you can avoid it, and it would be a pain in the backside. You can always ask for a move at checkin if they allocate you an upper floor. Though I'd wait and see what you get offered before mentioning it, as you might be randomly in a prime location and talk your way out of it by asking for a ground floor.

Your perspective on walking is spot on. Lots of people worry about the walking at Disney world, but unless you have an actual difficulty with walking it's not an issue. I've read stories about kids in buggys as old as 8, but our 4yr old coped just fine most of the time. The odd time after fireworks I had to carry her when she was genuinely tired, but with ice cream stops in the parks (that we all benefitted from) she managed most of the time walking herself.

First time we stayed at Riverside we were in the back of the Mansions, and that was almost half a mile walk to go to the food court and back to the room, but the grounds at both Port Orleans resorts are as nice a place to walk as you can find anywhere apart from up mountains. It's not a problem walking....it's the standing about in queues that gets me !
mamabunny

Unread post by mamabunny »

Andre':

Have you had any updates about the automated room allocation system - do we know yet if our faxes are still being read (and acted upon)... or are they becoming supplies for paper dolls and paper planes? ;)

Thanks! :)
The evening star is shinin' bright. So make a wish and hold on tight. There's magic in the air tonight, and anything can happen...
The Princess & The Frog, Disney Studios, 2009
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Yes, faxes are read and (if they choose to, or have time to) are acted upon.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Coz

Unread post by Coz »

Hello we are coming end july and have 3 x pool view rooms booked all on same booking when should I send fax asking to be close together we dont want to be split all over the place. Thanks for any info you can give.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Coz wrote:Hello we are coming end july and have 3 x pool view rooms booked all on same booking when should I send fax asking to be close together we dont want to be split all over the place.
About 5 days out, see http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php. Obviously they can't all be physically connecting rooms (there is only ever one connecting doorway per room) but you could at least ask for one pair to be connecting and the other nearby.

Andre
Coz

Unread post by Coz »

Thanks for that they dont need to be conecting just in the same building will be ok. Cant wait to get there been looking at your site it looks fantastic.