Rapid Fill Refillable Mug RFID system coming to Port Orleans

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

Rapid Fill Refillable Mug RFID system coming to Port Orleans

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

Walt Disney World's new refillable mug program — "Rapid Fill" — is being rolled out at all resort hotel locations with self-service beverage stations. The drinks stations at the Port Orleans food courts are in the process of being modified at the moment, so presumably after a short testing phase the system will be going live soon (no confirmed dates as yet though).

The new Rapid Fill mugs feature a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip installed in the mug which allows it to be used for a specific amount of days, all the way through to the guests’ entire length of stay if required (multiple-resort stays are allowed, but the days must be CONSECUTIVE).

The new mugs will allow guests to refill beverages at any resort's self-service beverage station, not just at their home resort (but NOT at the theme parks or water parks). Guests will be able to check their remaining days via the fountain beverage dispenser’s display screen.

The prices for the new mugs will be as follows:
$8.99 for 1 day
$11.99 for 2 days
$14.99 for 3 days
$17.99 for length of stay (4-14 days, but can be specifically extended for longer stays)

Note: It will still be possible to buy a single drink (paper cup) at the food courts, which will contain an RFID chip coded for your current visit only.

Rapid Fill mugs may be purchased and used at any resort self-service beverage island, and Disney Dining Plan guests will receive the new mugs as part of their package.
royhan

Re: Rapid Fill Refillable Mug RFID system coming to Port Orl

Unread post by royhan »

I am trying to work out where, apart from other resort hotels and Downtown Disney, the new refillable mugs can be used. Any suggestions? In Downtown Disney could mugs be refilled in the Earl of Sandwich for instance?
Cardi 1
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I think just other Disney hotels with food courts, not Downtown Disney as far as I know.

What I can't understand is the name "Rapid Fill" - as far as I can see there's nothing any more rapid than the current system, and potentially it could even slow you down. e.g. there's a built in delay of a few minutes between each allowed fill - but with the current system I quite often fill my mug up, take a nice big thirst-quenching gulp (or two, or three) and then top it back up again to take back to the table.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
stuart

Unread post by stuart »

Retirement looms for our Dixie Landings mugs...
Dixie Landings / Riverside Stays: Oct 96; July 97,98,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,15.
Back: June 23rd 2016
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

stuart wrote:Retirement looms for our Dixie Landings mugs...
I know. I haven't had the nerve to take mine back for a few years to be honest. I guess if you complain that Disney sold it to you as perpetually refillable (which they did) then they'll just say that you need to refill it at Dixie Landings...

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
RiverRooster

Unread post by RiverRooster »

Work has started on the beverage station at Riverside. There is a new dispenser that is push-button activated rather than the old dispenser that required you to push your cup against a lever. A new upper portion of the macine has been installed as well, instructing guest to place their cups on the tray below the individual dispensers. RFID was not yet activated as of 5:00 pm yesterday.
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Before they do activate it they will have to change the mugs for ones with chips in them. When we were at sports during the trial, the pattern was the same but the colours were different.

Because these mugs are valid propertywide, maybe they will install machines everywhere and then activate, hopefully they will bring a new mug design to the table, and hopefully within 2 weeks before I turn up.
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Also if they sell a mug today that isn't chipped, it is still valid until that guest leaves, they can't turn the dispensers control points "on" until that guest leaves. If I turn up today and get a chipped mug, it will have to be activated for my length of stay, but the dispensers will still be on free flow until the last non chipped guest leaves. They've obviously done the switchover once already,but as I put above it involved a different set of mugs, but it was in full swing when we arrived, so not sure how they do it.

Also there needs to be something at the mug selling stations to read the chip and then match it's eligability in the system to the guests length of stay, and a period of training in how to use it. Installing machines capable of controlling dispense is only one of the things that are required.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

If I were them, I'd start 'silently' issuing the chipped mugs about two weeks before they are ready to go live (set for 14 days validity) without telling anyone. Then when they switch the readers on and start officially selling the new mugs, all of the existing current guests will still be able to use their mugs up to the end of their stay.

Andre