Bus Wait-Time Display now operating at POR South Depot

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

Bus Wait-Time Display now operating at POR South Depot

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

There has been a TV screen sitting quietly and unobtrusively at the Port Orleans Riverside South Depot for some time now, and it has recently been turned on. Now guests waiting at the bus stop can get a real-time estimation of when the next Disney Bus for their destination should arrive:

The information should get updated immediately as busses are changed or delayed, and if new ones are deployed to a route, and it is all based on the central despatch system linked to the GPS tracking devices fitted to all of the buses in Disney's fleet.

At present this is only at the Riverside South Depot with no immediate plans for the outer stops or French Quarter, but it's still a very nice start!

(Thanks for the photo D!)
ethicaladdict

Re: Bus Wait-Time Display now operating at POR South Depot

Unread post by ethicaladdict »

Most Excellent! Thanks for this update :D
royhan

Unread post by royhan »

A great pity that there are no plans to extend this invaluable service to the outer stops.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I'm sure that if it works out well - and if it doesn't create more guest issues than it solves, as buses are added and routes adjusted in real-time - then it will get a wider roll-out across the rest of the Disney resorts.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
shoemakers4

Unread post by shoemakers4 »

I'm going to post a TON more on our POR trip that just wrapped up, but I quickly wanted to add my 2 cents about the display time monitor at South Depot. I think it's a waste of resources at present. Hopefully they revamp the idea a little. 1st off, a bus is going to show up in 20 minutes or less. Per our Disney bus driving friend that we have a few long chats with, a bus is going to be at a stop every 20 minutes WITHOUT QUESTION! This includes if there is a breakdown, accident, anything! As I've seen Andre post on this website there is a couple people watching a GPS system that monitors the last time a bus left a depot. They are redirecting and redistributing buses ALL THE TIME!

Ok... so why is the monitor worthless? We arrived for our first bus at 12:45pm for EPCOT. The monitor said 12:50 was the next arrival, GREAT! However, we stood there and watched it click minute by minute later and later. Finally, a couple minutes after 1pm a bus arrived. The next day we'd test the monitor again. This time it said 11:05am and we sat down at 10:40 for MK. Bus arrived at 10:50 after the screen changed 3 times to earlier, then later, and then on time.

The idea is great and will be very helpful for people just walking up to the depot. But since the "longest wait" will be 20 minutes... it might not expand much further
zabache

Unread post by zabache »

Hello
Have any other monitors been placed at the other bus stops? Thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Still just the initial one at the POR South Depot for the moment I believe.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
zabache

Unread post by zabache »

Thanks
ianuk

Unread post by ianuk »

A shame, as we always use North Depot
daveag

Unread post by daveag »

This was fantastic for us last week.

I could see it being helpful to expand the screens--both sheds of the South Depot, posted in the food hall, somewhere in the lobby, and even access the info from the My Disney Experience app.
disneygirl

Unread post by disneygirl »

We loved the bus times showing last time. We are not planners anymore and normally just hop on the bus that turns up first... ;) Last time we were at least able to decide if we could be 'bothered' to wait for the one after. :D
First Visit to POFQ May 1995
Off site in Kissimmee June 1996 (never again)
POR nearly every year since although we did go to Wilderness Lodge one year which was also really nice.
Off site LBV this year 2011 (Wyndham LBV - was just OK but never again)
Disneyland Paris - too many times to count but prob about 20 (not a patch on WDW)
The hubby has been to Disneyland California but was too young to really remember much.