Maps & Directions
First time visitors to Walt Disney World can sometimes find navigating their way around the parks and resorts a little daunting — after all, the entire site does cover some 47 square miles, larger than many cities! This page includes several detailed downloadable maps of both the overall Walt Disney World area and of the Port Orleans area in particular, plus driving directions from the Orlando airports and links to satellite images of the resorts.
Port Orleans and Walt Disney World Maps
The following maps should help you find your way around the Port Orleans resorts and the surrounding Walt Disney World road system. These downloadable maps are all very high quality and fully scalable:
- Port Orleans Resort Map (current six-page version, issued April 2014) [PDF format, 2.8Mb]
- Port Orleans Driving Directions with Map (issued April 2012) [PDF format, 909Kb]
- Port Orleans Resort Map (older one-page version from 2007 onward) [PDF format, 559Kb]
- Port Orleans “Wayfinder” Map [PDF format, 774Kb] (2009 version, was given out for locating rooms)
- Port Orleans Jogging Trail Route [PDF format, 221Kb]
- Walt Disney World Road Map, May 2012 — includes local destinations [PDF format, 205Kb]
The new Walt Disney World website also includes very nice scalable interactive maps of the whole of the property, including Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter. Note: some international guests may not be able to view these pages as the WDW website has a nasty habit of forcibly redirecting people to local regional sites, even when the requested content is not actually available on those regional sites.
For general planning purposes, the two resorts are laid out as follows (click on each building for detailed floor plans):
You can also download detailed resort floorplans as PDF files as follows (now including the locations of all of the Connecting Rooms in the resort):
- Port Orleans French Quarter [PDF format, 147Kb]
- Port Orleans Riverside - Alligator Bayou [PDF format, 224Kb]
- Port Orleans Riverside - Magnolia Bend [PDF format, 140Kb]
There are a number of good maps of the Orlando area, but for tourists visiting the resorts I highly recommend Steve Munns’ excellent publication which can be obtained from www.orlandomaps.co.uk. This not only gives clear, accurate and up-to-date details of the local road system — even down to the toll booths — but also the precise locations of popular tourist destinations, restaurants, shopping complexes, airports, etc. In my opinion, this is probably the best map of the general Orlando tourist area that you can buy on either side of the Atlantic, and it’s very reasonably priced too.
First time visitors to Walt Disney World can sometimes find getting to the parks and resorts a little daunting, especially if it’s also their first time driving in the USA. However once you’ve got the hang of it, driving around Florida is pretty simple — just try to remember which side of the road you should be driving on!
Most visitors arrive via either Orlando International Airport (MCO) or Sanford International Airport (SFB). If you’re traveling via either of these and collecting a hire car, please see my airport directions page for a step-by-step guide to get you safely to your Port Orleans destination. For other options, please see the Other Ground Transportation page.
Aerial and Satellite Views of the Port Orleans Resorts
For some wonderful aerial views of the entire resort layout, give Microsoft’s Virtual Earth Live Search “Bird’s Eye Views” a try. You can scroll around the whole resort complex, and even zoom in close enough to see people standing outside the Lobby! Also well worth a look is Google Earth, but you’ll need to download their free viewer software first. Here a few links to take to straight to views of the resorts:
- Windows Maps, Port Orleans Riverside 3D view, centred on the Sassagoula Steamboat Co. and Ol’ Man Island.
- Windows Maps, Port Orleans French Quarter 3D view, centred on Port Orleans Square and the Doubloon Lagoon swimming pool.
- Google Maps, Port Orleans Resort Riverside
- Google Maps, Port Orleans Resort French Quarter
- Wikipedia aerial view (Wikimapia) which has been annotated with some notes and photos by site visitor Steve Haskett.