6/12/10 - 6/19/10 - First time at POFQ

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
FL MCM

6/12/10 - 6/19/10 - First time at POFQ

Unread post by FL MCM »

I said that I would copy/paste my review from another site, so here it is below. Other than the unseasonal heat wave, it was a great trip.

Just back from 7 days at POFQ.

1. CMs: Other than the spacey/not-so-friendly check-in CM (the one next to her seemed really helpful/sweet, though), I thought the CMs were great. The food court servers, cashiers, cleaners, were all very nice. A couple of them really went out of their way.

2. Pool: Great for kids -- the dragon slide is so much fun. I had to get uppity with a little girl who would not let anyone else near a gator that squirted water (and she would spray water onto anyone who came near it). When she sprayed it into my 3 year old's eyes, she really heard it from me (she wasn't just trying to play either -- the girl NEVER cracked a smile and I could tell other parents were upset with her, too). Unfortunately, I don't think she spoke or understood English, so it probably didn't matter. Fabulous lifeguard presence there, by the way.

3. Rooms: What you'd expect. If you've ever stayed at a moderate, it's the typical moderate room set-up. The room was really clean the first three days, but I think mousekeeping got a little slack on us toward the end (and we tipped $5/day) -- even though the mousekeeping card always said "Norma", I don't believe it was her every single day (doesn't she have a day off?). We had a Mickey head towel animal the first day and a penguin towel animal the second day. The room was fine, but I also knew what to expect. We had requested bldg. 7 (because we thought we'd make it over to POR more, but we only went over there once) and a corner room. Got both of those requests. So, bldg. 7 was one the farthest out from the food court, but totally manageable. I also liked that it was quiet over there.

4. Food court: Totally fine, in my opinion. There were enough choices. I never had a burger (not that I would've minded one). I had a chicken/rib combo, mufaletta, pot roast, taco salad, etc. -- in the mornings I had anything from beignets to Mickey waffles and strawberries to a breakfast croissant to a breakfast platter (eggs, bacon, biscuit, etc.). They kept it clean and well-stocked and while the food court was small, we could always find a table (usually sat in the same spot each day). I preferred it to the overwhelming size of POR's food court.

5. Buses: Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. We drove about 1/2 the time. We never shared with POR on the way to anywhere, but we did share with POR on the way back from DHS and AKL. No biggie. I don't like that the AKL bus stopped off at Blizzard Beach (both coming and going). Buses going to the parks always seemed quicker than the ones going back to the resort. All in all, it was fine, though.

6. Misc.:
a. Boat to DTD -- nice and relaxing.
b. Gift shop -- great selection of stuff.
c. Lounge/Bar -- great musician.
d. Playground -- my kids (especially the 3 year old) LOVED it.

To sum it up, I thought it was great choice of resort if you're going to choose a moderate. You can't beat the size. The ambience was very pretty and relaxing. CMs were friendly/helpful. I would definitely stay there again.
Heinz57

Re: 6/12/10 - 6/19/10 - First time at POFQ

Unread post by Heinz57 »

Thanks for the info. We are heading to POFQ in 10 days!!! :P
Gev

Unread post by Gev »

Does anyone know if it's worth using the on-line check-in for the hotel if it's a first time visit there? Is it better checking-in in the regular fashion for info from the CMs? My husband and I go next year and not only is it a first visit to POR, but it's the first time we will ever have stayed on Disney property; we've always stayed off property before.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

If you have specific requests that you may want to re-confirm at checkin then it might be best to wait until you get there, but if you're probably going to take the room they offer then it can save some time by doing online checkin as everything will be waiting for you when you arrive.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -