Transportation a problem!

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
Lynda

Transportation a problem!

Unread post by Lynda »

We stayed at POFQ from Sept. 18th through September 26th, 2010. We stayed here once before in 2004 and it was just as beautiful. Basically, the guest services, pool, amenities, mousekeeping, accommodations, just about everything, was fantastic......UNTIL you tried to leave the resort! That's when the frustration began!! We waited over an hour for a boat from our resort to Downtown Disney 3 times in our 8 night stay. Boats would arrive from Riverside but they'd have room for 2 or 3 people, so the line took forever!

And the buses!! Each time we arrived to get a bus to a park, we invariably had at least a 1/2 hour wait followed by a LONG journey through all 4 bus stops at Riverside. We arrived at our resort bus stop each morning about 45-60 minutes prior to park opening and we missed opening twice because the bus took forever to arrive and then we'd have to pick up other guests from Riverside, (this usually happened more often at off-peak hours, but did occasionally happen for park opening as well),. One night, we had to get to Fort Wilderness for our Hoop Dee Doo Revue 5pm reservation. We arrived at our bus stop at our resort at 3:30pm. We waited 20 mins for a MK bus but then waited an hour for a boat at MK to take us to Fort Wilderness Campground. We ended up being late for our dinner seating. Granted, the nice gentleman at the dock radioed ahead to let them know that about 15 of us were stranded at MK waiting for a boat so they held the doors open for us. Still....it was incredibly frustrating. We also waited 1 hour to get to our hotel from MK after Wishes one night. It was an insanely long line. For 30 minutes, not a single bus showed up for POFQ.

We have stayed at Pop Century 4 times and never ever experienced transportation nightmares like the ones we experienced at POFQ. We only upgraded because of the dining plan deal.

I would only recommend this hotel for people who want to enjoy the hotel and aren't ever in a hurry to get anywhere....or are EXTREMELY patient! It's too bad because other than the transportation, this would be the best hotel at WDW. Only other negative is the food court. Not much selection and my daughter, who has celiac disease, had many limitations as to what they would prepare for her. At Pop Century, the chef would make her a Gluten Free Stir Fry or many other variations on the regular menu. At POFQ, they only offered about 6 things....after 8 nights, that was a bit limiting and boring.

Unfortunately, I have to give this hotel the thumbs down.
disneygirl

Re: Transportation a problem!

Unread post by disneygirl »

That's such a shame that the transportation spoilt it for you. I can honestly say that we have never had problems with the transportation at this resort. Have only had BAD time at the Wilderness Lodge with LONG waits. Being Vegetarian we have often had trouble everywhere with choice but just except that unfortunately Disney cater for the masses and not the few. Like you, we have also come across cast members that have 'put themselves out' to make our experience great. Have come to the conclusion that its very much the luck of the draw on the food front. I know that Disney do say 'let us know if you have any allergies etc' but often this means that there will still only be a very limited choice on offer. Glad that you had positive things to say about the resort as well and can only think that you were unlucky this time (yes I know it shouldn't be a lottery!!) :)
First Visit to POFQ May 1995
Off site in Kissimmee June 1996 (never again)
POR nearly every year since although we did go to Wilderness Lodge one year which was also really nice.
Off site LBV this year 2011 (Wyndham LBV - was just OK but never again)
Disneyland Paris - too many times to count but prob about 20 (not a patch on WDW)
The hubby has been to Disneyland California but was too young to really remember much.