French Quarter Review - November 2nd through November 16th

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
Master_Gracey

French Quarter Review - November 2nd through November 16th

Unread post by Master_Gracey »

From November 2nd through November 16th I enjoyed my 6th trip to 'The World'.

I'd previously stayed on Disney property on my last two trips became hooked with the on property option. I'd enjoyed the simple Disney Magic of the All Star Movies resort and the Majesty of Animal Kingdom Lodge. Having experienced both a Value and Deluxe resort I expected Port Orleans French Quarter to fit nicely in the middle. My expectations where greatly exceeded.

My room was in Building 3, facing the car park (or parking lot). However the Trees did a nice job of blocking the car park view, but allowing me just enough of a view above the trees to spot Reflections of Earth's bigger fireworks from the window. Building 3 is perfectly located, its only a short walk to the reception, pool, boats and food court. The car park was about 30 metres from the room.

The room itself was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't sure whether to expect a Fridge and Ironing facilities, so I was very pleased to find them both there. The decor was well themed and the room was overall very clean. I'd read reports that Mousekeeping wasn't 5 star here but I'd have to disagree. I found Mousekeeping's performance to be consistently excellent throughout my stay. At the end of the vacation the supervisor dropped by to check how we'd found the service etc. A nice little touch that we didn't get at the deluxe resort!

The food court was very colourful and as clean as you'd expect a busy counter service area to be on property. You'd never struggle to find a cast member day or night here. I found all the staff I encountered to be polite, friendly and helpful. They where all very knowledgeable about the workings of the Disney Dining Plan (something that has improved right across the Resort and not just French Quarter). The only suggestion I'd make would be to improve the menu slightly. Maybe a 'chef special' of the healthy variety once in every few days. The earlier you get to the food courts the better. Even during the peak periods we could always find a table. Its nothing like the food courts at the All Star resorts (which can be a zoo to be honest). In addition the Beignets are HIGHLY recommended.

The Jackson Square Gifts and Desires store was handy and well presented. Lots of the merchandise that can be found all over the resort can also be found here. Again the store was well staffed and I was never in a queue too long when I needed to be served. The only downside to the store is that there is not much in the way of a range of groceries. If want more choice that entails a walk over to Riverside's bigger store. The Gaming Arcade was as good as any other on property with a range of machines. A very welcome distraction for anyone with big families.

The pool area was very themed. The Dragon slide is probably one of the better known pool slides on property. Never too busy even when the site had a large number of guests for Veterans Day. The hot tub is wonderful. Towards the end of my vacation I'd be up first thing for a quick session before breakfast. I only regret not doing this everyday! In the evenings I often found the hot tub at capacity (most frequently over capacity).

The downside to staying at a Value or Moderate resort is that you do not have Gym facilities. However due to Port Orleans wonderful duel site layout there’s a great route for a scenic jog around the resort (a very welcome change from the treadmill).

One of the things that attracted us to resort was video footage of the central hub. The Food court, reception and store where also so compact and very well themed. It also never looks too busy even when there are lots of guests (evident from the parking situation). I wished I'd made more use of the Bar. I caught around 15 minutes of Elliot Dyson's show one evening on the way back from Extra Magic Hours, it looked like something I should have made more time for.

The staff that work at the concierge and check in/out reception where excellent. Even above Disney's usual standards. It was never too much trouble to do anything. When the concierge was busy and check in where quiet they'd call you over and help keep the lines down. Fantastic service you just don't see in the UK. I always make a note of Cast Members that go over and above but to be honest the whole PO team should be applauded.

The buses ran quite well. I never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus. The only downside was the multiple stops at Riverside. You lose a good 20 minutes here, however if you are prepared to travel in a cattle like conditions first thing the buses will go direct to the resort once they reach capacity (provided there is nobody to drop off). The location of the resort is such that there are no really long bus trips (save for the Magic Kingdom, however we drive here so we can use monorail). The boats to Downtown Disney where a relaxing experience, a nice change of pace to the buses.

Having explored the Riverside resort I feel I made the right choice with the French Quarter. Whilst everything is bigger over there I like that French Quarter is less populated and much slower paced. They really achieved the feel the 'Big Easy' across the whole resort. I get the impression that even if you where crazy enough to visit French Quarter during peak times it would never seem too crowded. During the 'off season' its perfect, not too busy but still just enough people to create some atmosphere.

I'd left off my review of WDW itself with this being a forum for just Port Orleans. Whilst Disney can improve in other areas of the resort they are scoring very high here for this resort. The refurbishment’s that are going on will only help to improve the experience of the resorts even more, particularly the update of the rather outdated TV Sets. The only change I'd make would be the addition of a gym (I’d even pay per visit for the privilege).

I've always said I'd never repeat a resort until I've done the ones I fancy. However most of the remaining resorts I wish to try are all Deluxe resorts. When you think what you'd pay for those you could stay 3 weeks in Port Orleans French Quarter.....now there's an idea! :-)

PS This site was very helpful in preparing us for the trip, many thanks for all your excellent work!