Jan 25-Feb 3

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
delightedguest

Jan 25-Feb 3

Unread post by delightedguest »

My family and I had the pleasure of staying at POFQ from Jan 25-Feb 3. Kudos to this site for helping us make our decision - we knew what to expect, but that old Disney magic was in the air during our trip, making our stay even better that we had hoped. We asked for a newly renovated room and stayed in #6103. Though we weren't in our room much, the space was more than adequate for my husband and I and our 9 and 11 year old daughters. We enjoyed the queen sized beds, a nice flat screen and the room was spotless. The girls weren't crazy about sleeping together - the larger beds made it easier. The girls also loved the fun towel animals that the cleaning staff left each day that we had our room cleaned. On a couple of our days, we just threw the "do not disturb" card in the key slot and returned later in the evening to find a bag with fresh towels, TP, shampoo and soap hanging on the door. Nice touch! Building 6 is one of the "farthest" buildings from the main amenities - yet it is just a quick (2 or 3 minute) stroll down a beautiful cobblestone path. One night I was doing laundry late and had a worker in a golf cart stop and offer me a ride with my heavy bag of clean clothes.

We loved the door man in the main building who greeted us with a smile every day and gave the kids dubloons to make a wish with in the fountain. My kids are very into pin trading and all of the staff were gracious and even brought out the pin trading board right before we left so they could make "one last trade". The floatworks/quick service food area was awesomely themed and the food there was good - we ate there every morning before hitting the parks. We had dinner reservations in the parks every night of our trip. On the first night, we walked over to Boatwright's at PO Riverside. By the time we were done with dinner, there was a torrential downpour. We weren't sure how to get back to the hotel and not get soaked! A quick trip and kind request to the bell hop found us a van-shuttle - Thanks, PO Riverside! Talk about "extra magic"! The weather was warm enough toward the end of our trip for us to enjoy the pool - something I wasn't sure we'd be able to take advantage of with our "off season" trip. I should say we are hearty Minnesotans who think that 60 degrees is balmy. The pool was great and the kids swam until almost 11 p.m. Shelly the bartender at the pool was awesome serving up cold Heinekens!

The bus waits were good - we often just walked right on to a bus. I think the longest we had to wait was 15 minutes. The bus drivers were phenomenal. It seems that they all know every route of every mode of transporation that Disney operates. If you're not sure how to get somewhere, sit up front and chat with the driver while you're en route to a park. That's how we found out how to get to/from the Hoop De Doo and 'Ohana at the Poly. Plus they are fun, fun people! When I retire, I want to be a Disney bus driver!

They only bad thing about our trip was that there was not enough time to do everything we wanted to do. Thanks for this great website - it was an incredible resource for us! And if anyone out there is wondering where they should stay on their next Disney trip, they should have no reservations about choosing POFQ - the staff and it's facilities are truly magical! These are the reasons why we will always stay on Disney property when we visit!
peggyracer3

Re: Jan 25-Feb 3

Unread post by peggyracer3 »

I heard that the grab bars had not been reinstalled in the tubs in the renovated rooms. Do you happen to recall that?
delightedguest

Unread post by delightedguest »

There was no grab bar in the tub in our room.
vickig

Unread post by vickig »

Thanks very much for all this info, we are making our 4th disney trip, first pofq stay, in august. I made our reservation with a pin code which was for a standard view room. like you, we will have our two daughters, ages 11 and 9, my husband and myself. do you have any recommendation as to which building to request? i believe all the refurb work will be complete at that time. we will have a car, but will most likely use disney transportation alot.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Buildings 4, 5 or 6 would be perfect for you.

4 is the closest to the bus stop and food court, 5 is closest to the swimming pool, and 6 is also very nicely located but just a bit further away from the main guest routes.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
mickeysbl1988

Unread post by mickeysbl1988 »

I've stayed at the SSR&S, CBR & ASMov. All Great resorts with there own character but I am looking forward to our June trip to POFQ after reading such great stories. It comes down to the smaller resort that really sold me. SSR&S was huge, as was CBR. This resort looks like it would be so much easier to get around when there's only 300 yards from furthest point to the main building. I can't wait. Looking forward to posting a positive review of my own in 3 months.