Just back

How was your stay at French Quarter? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans FRENCH QUARTER Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
Gev

Just back

Unread post by Gev »

We have just returned from our trip to PORFQ 22nd September to 6th October. This is the first time my husband and I have been on holiday on our own in some 20 years and our first time in a hotel in the same length of time; and also the first time we have stayed on property. I have fallen in love with this resort. A few days before we left we faxed the hotel to see if they could provide us with a quiet room on a high floor. They did exactly that for us. We were in building 7 on the top floor, close to the frog fountain. In the first few days we had some issues with actually getting in the door of our room - it just didn't like us! Trying to solve the problem involved us being issued with new key cards; the batteries being changed in the lock; a new lock and then another new lock as the previous new lock was a damaged one. (Are you still with me?) The manager who dealt with us offered to move us to another room, but we had made ourselves at home where we were and as long as it could be sorted eventually we would be fine. This particular night she let us into the room with, hey! a proper key! ha ha! and said she was sending the engineer over and apologised profusely. We just told her that we would grab a beer from our fridge and watch Epcot's fireworks and that these things happen. She left us saying that "well you guys have an awesome attitude" Jose arrived very shortly afterwards and sorted the lock once and for all. The day after, we arrived 'home' from our day out, Alan walked into the room and practically ran back out again. I caught him up and he opened the door for me to see a gift that had been left on the table. It had been delivered by the Disney Florist and it was a large Mickey vase, containing a Disney cook book, Mickey utensils and tea towels all gift wrapped with a card on it that said it was a gift for such nice people and they hoped we had no further door issues.

Back to the resort....... the pool is great, excellent for families, but as a couple it was just as good for us to relax and then a dip to cool off; the cocktails from Mardi Grog's were extremely nice. We took the boat to Downtown Disney a few times and walked along the Sassagoula River in the evenings. The food court was fine for what we wanted; we were on the dining plan and ate so much food over the fortnight I forgot what it felt like to be hungry. We went up to the River Roost Lounge to watch Yeehaa Bob who is great fun (how DOES that guy do it??? remembers everyones names and where they're from!) ; and tried the Glow-Tini. I loved the quiet feel of French Quarter and the theming makes for a beautiful resort, especially seeing it from along the river. All the parks were in very easy driving reach (DH gets travel sick so we kept to our car instead of the buses, but they were frequent and rarely full). All in all we loved this hotel and our first stay on property. I would definitely go back without hesitation at all. Just need to convince DH for us to start saving up again!
Elle8104

Re: Just back

Unread post by Elle8104 »

Hi
Sounds like an amazing time. I was reading that you faxed the hotel, where did you find the number as I'd like to do the same.
Thanks
Elle
Gev

Unread post by Gev »

THe fax number is right here on this site - click under the French Quarter banner above left; click on French Quarter Quick Reference and Map.

We did have an amazing time. We visited a couple of other resorts, namely Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge, but still found our little resort to be "home". Loved it and hope you do too.
Elle8104

Unread post by Elle8104 »

Thank you so much for help. Glad you had great time we are all very excited about our first trip :D
Disney Dork in DFW

Unread post by Disney Dork in DFW »

Now that is how Disney should handle customer issues! We had a whole litany of issues at CR two years ago (door, phone, remote, air conditioning, etc.), and none of them was resolved so quickly or efficiently. But then again, that shows that you don't always get what you pay for. At CR, we overpaid, but on the banks of the Sassagoula, we have always found the opposite to be true!
Las

Unread post by Las »

Very useful review. I am planning a trip in February - where did you have breakfast while staying at the resort, what sort of choice was there.
Thanks alot :D
Gev

Unread post by Gev »

I'm afraid we had breakfast in our room, mostly, cereal that we had taken with us. We used our DP credits for an early counter service lunch and table service dinner, or vice versa. The breakfast menu is on this site, though, here: www.portorleans.org/floatworks.php The one breakfast we had was a TS reservation at The Crystal Palace and it was wonderful!
Las

Unread post by Las »

Thanks - a good idea - breakfast in room - could you buy milk and juice easily? We could save our credits until we reached the park. Get a quick breakfast snack then into Disney

Claire aka Las
Gev

Unread post by Gev »

We bought milk on a trip to Winn Dixie not far away. You can get milk at the resort store, but it was cheaper there and we were in the vicinity at the time; cheaper still at Wal-Mart if you're anywhere near. You can also buy it at the Hess garage across from Downtown Disney. I know other people would get cinnamon rolls or Danish pastries from such as Main Street Bakery as a snack credit and have them for breakfast next morning (And they are HUGE!). They may have those at the bakery of Sassagoula Float works as well if that's something you'd fancy. We took cereal with us in the suitcase, along with 2 lightweight plastic bowls and spoons from home! :lol: There are glasses on the tray in the room if you decide to buy juice. We bought the refillable mugs and one of us would wander to the food court in the morning for coffee. Job done! Believe me, on the DDP, there is SO much food! Have fun planning!
monicatva

Unread post by monicatva »

You can also order groceries from www.gardengrocer.com. We just returned yesterday from a lovely stay and the grocery ordering worked well for breakfast in our room (also did the dining plan and used it for lunch and dinner, so breakfast was on our own). The prices were more expensive than at home, but less than the resort store (and more variety). If you are not there to receive the groceries, the resort will store your items, even refrigerate if necessary.