POR 8/2/17 - 8/5/17

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
skybruin3

POR 8/2/17 - 8/5/17

Unread post by skybruin3 »

Spent 3 nights at POR last week. I was texted my room was ready before I arrived. Nice to avoid waiting in line at Reception; my MagicBand opened the gate at the entry so I didn't even have to check in with the guard.
I had room 8915 in Magnolia Terrace (3rd floor "river view" room-but the view was more of a large adjacent magnolia tree rather than the river).

The room itself was clean and not musty-smelling. The resort was consistently well-kept as per prior visits. Resort-specific merch was available at Fulton's, but no insect repellent was to be had. (This was curious because WDW claims that it makes bug spray "available" for guests.)

Had an excellent dinner at Boatwright's (charcuterie->shrimp grits->red velvet cheesecake). YeeHa Bob's show at the River Roost is not to be missed, even if you think that his schtick is not for you. Just go.

First full day was at Typhoon Lagoon, then Animal Kingdom (Flight of Passage was amazing), then dinner at Narcoosee's at the Grand Floridian. I much prefer POR to GF as the latter is rather pretentious (and three times as expensive). Great view of the fireworks from the restaurant, though. Second day was the "Marceline to Magic Kingdom" walking tour in the morning-kudos to Jordan for a great tour, then Hollywood Studios for the afternoon (Tower of Terror) and dinner at Epcot at Monsieur Paul's. Disney took a video clip of my group's ToT drop experience and e-mailed it to me; very funny to see people's reactions.

The MagicBand certainly makes interacting (i.e. spending money) painless on campus, as long as you don't think too much about Disney gathering data on your every move while there.

Although I had a rental car, I took the buses each night to dinner and had zero problems. Biggest issue was finding my car in the theme park lots; I highly recommend GPS apps that you can d/l on your smartphone to do just that.

All in all a successful visit, and am planning next summer's trip already.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: POR 8/2/17 - 8/5/17

Unread post by Admin »

Sounds like a great trip, glad you enjoyed yourself again. I agree about the GF, it's a lovely hotel and nice to visit, but doesn't feel as relaxed and welcoming as Riverside.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -