Riverside at the end of January

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
peggyracer3

Riverside at the end of January

Unread post by peggyracer3 »

We were at POR from Jan. 22 to 29. It was the first time we stayed there, having gone to the Caribbean Beach resort twice before. This time rooms weren't available there, so POR was suggested. Since Florida relatives had stayed there and liked it, we figured it would work. I am a 65 year old woman who has become disabled since our last visit to WDW 16 years ago. My adult niece traveled with me.

We drove from Tampa, and we did have some problems finding the resort. The next day we met another guest who agreed that more signage would be a good idea. And I did get off to a rough start as cast members couldn't find the mobility scooter that a local company had delivered. Turns out that it wasn't with the other scooters--but it was about 10 feet from the man who said it just wasn't there. While my niece drove to our room, I wandered around for awhile in the scooter. Yes, it is a very big resort, but one of the housekeeping staff eventually took me to our room. Inside we found the first of the 4 towel sculptures which would delight us during our stay.

When I booked our trip, the agent had noted that I was in a scooter and couldn't walk far. I wish I had been able to have a handicapped room, but those are only available with one bed, the norm for just about every hotel these day. We were in Magnolia Terrace, a short distance to both the lobby/food court and the East bus depot. We ate there for most breakfast and several dinners. The General Store was very well stocked; I did about half my souvenir shopping there. Bus service depended on what time we traveled. I doubt that we ever waited longer than 30 minutes; sometimes they already had an ECV aboard, and I had to wait. The longest wait was actually at Hollywood Studios, right after the Fantasmic early show. We expected that.

The boat taxi to Downtown Disney was a wonderful option. We went there 3 times, including an evening trip for La Nouba. We were able to get back to POR after the late show; we had been concerned, but it worked. The ECV was a lot easier to use on the boat than on the bus.

We had several service issues which were handled promptly. Our room refrigerator had frost on the interior of the unit, and I noticed that bottled water was freezing in it. Since I was storing medication that can't freeze, I called the front desk around 8 PM; help was there within the hour. We also had trouble with our room key not working. Evidently rainy weather gives the units fits (more than it did us!), and they needed to replace the batteries, which they did while we were out. The only problem with that was that the housekeeper couldn't get in that day, but she left clean towels.

My niece used the internet service for three of the days when we were going to be around a little more. It seemed like a lot when we thought about the free WIFi we've had at other hotels, but with two of us using it for e-mail and FaceBook and Twitter, we decided it was worth it. It was very fast.

Going to WDW was an adjustment for me, as it was so different from the times before. And we hadn't previously been there during the winter. It took a few days to get with it, but this trip ended like the others, with me in tears. I've decided to take my niece back there in a couple years for a significant birthday, and we will stay at POR. Is there anywhere else?

Peggy from Springfield, IL :D
peggyracer3

Re: Riverside at the end of January

Unread post by peggyracer3 »

I forgot to mention that once I knew I was going to POR, I found this site, bookmarked it, and referred to it many, many times. I was well prepared for the resort, and now I look at the pics and read the info for a memory trip! And my desktop wallpaper is from the site. Only a little over 20 months till we go back!
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Glad you enjoyed your stay, and that you found this site useful. I've got some more wallpapers to upload soon, keep an eye on that page.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
BarbB

Unread post by BarbB »

Question for Peggy - we're staying at POR the end of August, and I'll be using an ECV, and the 1 year old will be travelling by stroller.
I'm concerned about the stairs to the main floor rooms - did you find a ramp for your ECV?
Thanks,
BarbB
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

BarbB wrote:Question for Peggy - we're staying at POR the end of August, and I'll be using an ECV, and the 1 year old will be travelling by stroller.
I'm concerned about the stairs to the main floor rooms - did you find a ramp for your ECV?
I'm sure Peggy will respond too, but in the meantime you should be fine everywhere expect the UPPER floors in the Alligator Bayou section (as the AB buildings have no elevators). Even in the mansions I'd still suggest getting a ground floor room as there are only two elevators per building, and they are right in the middle so can be a bit of a hike back to some of the outer rooms.

Many of the access points from the raised walkways around the buildings to the resort pathways have ramps, so you'll be fine (you just need to work out the nearest ones to your room to make returning easier).

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
pdrazine

Unread post by pdrazine »

I had another stay at POR after the trip I wrote about here, and we stayed in first floor rooms in the Mansions both times. Like Andre, I would recommend that. And I know nothing about AB, glad Andre commented on that!
BarbB

Unread post by BarbB »

Thank you both! One less thing to fret about. ;)