Trip Report from 3/4 to 3/9/2012

How was your stay at Riverside? Leave your comments or full trip reports here. Photos welcome.
Forum rules
This forum is for Port Orleans RIVERSIDE Trip Reports, not for general questions. Please try to keep your reviews relevant, informative and useful to other visiting families. Thanks!
JohnB

Trip Report from 3/4 to 3/9/2012

Unread post by JohnB »

My wife and I just got back, and are already missing it and trying to figure out when we can get back. First of all, we want to thank Andre and all involved with this most resourceful website and the links as well. We were 1st time users of both the Magical Express and DDP, and we will be sure to utilize both on our next visit. I requested 5 days before for a room closer to the main buildings than not. We ended up in Acadian House w/a parking lot view. Straight out the front door, across the bridge to Ol' Man Island, then across over to the Riverside Mill, about 10 mins for us slow walkers. The upside, was the minute and a half walk to the North Bus Depot. We may have waited 10-15 minutes at the most for any bus, and that included closing at Epcot one evening. We had made our dinner dining reservations as far out as we could, as my wife has celiac disease (allergy to gluten), and that included the 1st night at Boatwrights. As usual, Disney had it covered, and her meals were all worry free. At the table service restaurants, the chef comes to the table, at the quick service, a manager come out and goes over the allowable choices. The Riverside Mill was good as well, I would be the coffee grabber, with the refillable muggs, take them back to the room, the we would both head back for breakfast. We stuck with the breakfast platter, or your choice omlets, but they seem to have plenty of options for everyone. We would fill up our mugs with soda and water, and take them back to the room and leave them in the fridge, so when we came back at night, our drinks were waiting for us. Since it was just the 2 of us, both in are early 50's, our perspective on things may be different than those who are younger and with families, but this place was as good as it gets as far as we are concerned. We were most impressed with the size and selection of Fultons General Store. Wife's travel purse broke, and she was able to grab one right there. Allergy medicine,got it. I made a trip to Downtown Disney to Sosa's Cigars, and when we came back, I found some right in Fulton's (different, yet quality brands). Mousekeeping was good; if you use a "quiet pool" (we did 3 times), you need to grab a towel from your room; the main pool on Ol' Man Island has them there. No complaints at all; about the only thing we would ask for is maybe some more rocking chairs for that 1st cup of morning coffee. 4 chairs, and they fill up quick. It was great, and we hope everyone else has as good a time as we did, if not better. Jan and John, Albany NY (P.S.- when we got picked up at the airport yesterday,it was in the middle of a snow squall!!!)
disneybabe1229

Re: Trip Report from 3/4 to 3/9/2012

Unread post by disneybabe1229 »

I loved reading your review! My family loves POR soo much. We took an adults only trip in September and had a fabulous time. We also found POR to be just as wonderful for us with or without our kids. We are going back as a family for our 4th stay in August and cannot wait. Really glad to hear that you enjoyed Boatwrights, we are trying it for the first time on this upcoming trip. :D
Elizabeth
pdrazine

Unread post by pdrazine »

That's a great idea about leaving mugs with soda in the room fridge; we'll try that next time. Thanks for the report. Only 264 days till we go back! (But we were there 3 months ago.)
JohnB

Unread post by JohnB »

Just thought of a couple of things...when we got back in the evenings, we would go down to the quiet pool and I would get in and the wife would just sit on the edge and put her feet in. 15 min to a half hour or so. The one night we did not do this, we really felt the difference in our feet and legs the next day in the park. Would highly recomend this,even better, if your schedule allows, to take an "off" day from the parks in the middle of the trip.
UnlikelyDisFan

Unread post by UnlikelyDisFan »

John,

Thanks for the post, sounds like a great trip.

I have to concur about the pool and the restorative nature of it. We take a slightly different approach to getting in as part of our schedule. As we typically visit towards the end of August what we like to do is to go to a park in the morning and take in as much as we can before the crowds build, then in the middle of the afternoon we head back to the resort. Then we head to a quiet pool and are in the water for an hour or so before we head in get cleaned up and head back out to where we are having dinner.

I agree entirely that it really takes down the wear and tear on the feet and legs!
disneygirl

Unread post by disneygirl »

loved reading your trip report..I love POR so much. Can't wait to go back in September and dangle my legs in the pool. :)
First Visit to POFQ May 1995
Off site in Kissimmee June 1996 (never again)
POR nearly every year since although we did go to Wilderness Lodge one year which was also really nice.
Off site LBV this year 2011 (Wyndham LBV - was just OK but never again)
Disneyland Paris - too many times to count but prob about 20 (not a patch on WDW)
The hubby has been to Disneyland California but was too young to really remember much.
emh1960

Unread post by emh1960 »

Thank you so much for your report and the idea of filling up the mugs! We were there the week before in Acadian House too, but with a garden view. I agree that the north depot was convenient. :)