Pool police....

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
Thorpy

Pool police....

Unread post by Thorpy »

Is it still the case that the main pools are strictly time enforced for opening hours, and the quiet pools are not ?
If we can swim in the early morning, it will make a material difference to our holiday...and the price. Much as I love riverside, it's price has certainly risen in recent years, and I'm just trying to gauge whether it's worth it or not.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pool police....

Unread post by Admin »

Yes, the feature pools are only open during lifeguard hours (currently 10am-9pm, but it varies from 10am-8am in Jan/Feb to 9am-11pm in summer). Outside of those hours the two main feature pools - Ol' Man Island and Doubloon Lagoon - are gated and locked.

The quiet pools are different, they are effectively available 24 hours, barring cleaning early in the morning. However if people are being rowdy late at night the resort could temporarily enforce the posted closing time for the benefit of other guests. There are fences and gates at the quiet pools now, but they are there more as a safety feature to keep unaccompanied kids from accessing the pool areas (hence the high latches and heavy-pull gates).

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Right Mr Andre... I'm holding you responsible. ;) Just booked for August.

After staying here in 09, 10, 12 & 13 with a brief flying visit to buy merch in 2015, we're now back in August. Shortest countdown for a long time.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

In August the official main pool hours will be 9am-11pm anyway, but I'm sure the quiet pools will be available later if you're not proposing a rowdy pool party. And if you are, just don't do it near my room if you're there when we are! :)

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

I'm proposing keeping my eldest quiet with an early morning swim ... no late night parties. It'll be for the first couple of mornings, other than that we'll be in the pool in normal hours. I intend being in the main pool one evening from about 6pm, as before she could swim, I spent a couple of hours taking her round the island dodging the waterfalls, and neither of us have ever been down the slide.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

The only issue with early morning swims is that the staff have an early daily pool cleaning routine which might clash with your plans.

The slide is fun, as is dodging the waterfalls of course (I did that with my DD when she was younger too :) ). I've done the slide a number of times, although my DD has never built up the courage. It's really not a scary slide though, just slightly longer and a bit faster than the POFQ one.

Andre
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Since we were last in Riverside (2013) she has learned to swim to the point where she can be left to her own devices, and loved the slide at Coronado in 2015, so I'm sure she will love this one... I'm even starting to wonder what her limits will be at Blizzard Beach.