something special advice

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
James69

something special advice

Unread post by James69 »

Looking for advice or suggestions to make our stay extra special.
We have just adopted a little girl (age 4 ) into our family and want to mark the occasion with something extra special.
Staying at French Quarter (standard room) end of November beginning of December (first time on Disney property) we would welcome anything you could suggest to make this visit even more memorable.
Thanks in advance
Admin
Site Admin

Re: something special advice

Unread post by Admin »

If you are asking about activities at Walt Disney World generally then I would suggest asking over on the DISboards (https://www.disboards.com), where they can help with info on things like Character Meals, parties, etc. which need to be booked well in advance.

At Port Orleans though, I think she'll love the splash-play area at the swimming pool, and the various recreation activities that the resort puts on during the day. See http://www.portorleans.org/recreation-schedules.php for more details, the offerings change quite often.

You might consider booking a horse-drawn carriage ride (which leaves from the Riverside part of the resort and goes round a whole Riverside/French Quarter route) as a special treat. The Surrey Bikes are fun to rent too, especially for her as she'll get to sit and enjoy the ride while you do all the work. :) She may also like Ye Haa Bob Jackson's music show at the River Roost Lounge (Weds-Sat evenings) but be aware that it can be quite loud and interactive so it depends on how she enjoys joining in with that sort of fun. Maybe best to take a quick look for yourself one evening before committing. And get there for 8pm with her, and plan to see the first set only, as the full show will probably be too late for her. For more info on recreation generally, see http://www.portorleans.org/recreation.php .

Oh, and don't forget the little things like getting her a 'First Visit' badge from the front desk, and talking to Arneil the greeter as you come and go.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

As much as I love the French Quarter, I think that a Riverside Royal Room would be worth considering. Also, keep in mind that if she likes water, you can also use the Riverside pool, even if you are staying at FQ. They don't have a splash area over there, but it would add some variety. If the idea of a carriage ride appeals to you, don't forget to check on the "sleigh" rides at Fort Wilderness campground at that time of year. It is a bit longer of a ride than at PO (about 45 minutes vs. 25 minutes) and goes through several of the campground loops to view the Christmas decorations that are put up by the campground guests. Very impressive, if she can sit still that long or likes to look at lights and decorations. I'm not sure when they start doing the sleigh rides, but it is usually around the first of December. The WDW website should be listing a reservations schedule by the fall. We'll be there about the same time and we will be doing this again, if the schedule is right.

Otherwise, I'll second what Andre said, with an emphasis on making sure you stop and chat with Arneil, the Greeter in the FQ lobby. He is there during the day, Tuesday through Saturday (normally) and he loves talking with the children. It's kind of like a character meet-and-greet, French Quarter style.

Best of luck in planning your visit.
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
James69

Unread post by James69 »

Many thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.
Some great advice there and I'm looking to get the planning started, we also have the take service DDP and to my understanding we can use it for character meals so I'll plan to get some of them booked
James69

Unread post by James69 »

I know I can start making dining reservations at start of June, however the room type the travel agent booked for us is a standard room type.
Do you have any suggestions as to the best room to ask for? What block is best?
By the time we arrive at the resort it will be six pm ( 9 hour flight) do you think maybe the food court would be best for our first eventing meal
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Standard View means rooms located mostly around the outer edges of the resort, usually facing towards the parking lots. They can include some of the more distant sections from the main facilities building, so requesting "not too far from main building, preferably not directly overlooking a parking lot" would be a good starting point without sounding pushy. French Quarter isn't very big though, so you'll be fine almost anywhere to be honest.

After a nine hour flight getting into Orlando late afternoon (from the UK/Europe I assume?) you are likely to be tired so I wouldn't plan on anything too specific for that first night. If you are from the other side of the Atlantic, 6pm will seem a lot later due the the timezone change. The food court would be a good place to plan to eat once you have got yourself checked in, then get an early night so you're up bright and early and ready for rope-drop in the morning (might as well make use of that skewed body clock for the first few days!). You can always change your plans after you arrive if you fancy a few hours in a park or at Disney Springs, but don't bank on feeling up to it.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
MardiGroggy

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused by mentioning the Royal Rooms at Riverside, but james69 did say that he has booked a standard room at French Quarter. I only mentioned the Royal Rooms because of the request about something special for a 4 year old girl, in case he has any interest in making a change. At this point, a standard room at FQ would be facing a parking area, but since the resort is fairly compact that would not mean that the rooms would be all that far away from the main buildings. At least, not as far as some of the standard rooms at Riverside can be. Sorry for the confusion.

Don't let the parking lot views bother you too much. Most of the rooms have plenty of landscaping between the room and the parking lot, so it isn't like you are gazing out directly at a big patch of asphalt. You can see the lots, but you are not right on top of them.

As far as FQ standard rooms go, buildings 3 and 4 (especially 4) would be closest to the main buildings, the bus stop and the boats. 7 would be closest to Riverside, if you plan on walking back and forth during your stay. 1 would be the farthest from anything. All of those buildings have standard rooms.

And yes, Andre's advice on the first day arrival is spot on. The food court will probably be your best bet, especially if your travel runs late. And when you are considering dining reservations during your stay, don't forget all the great choices easily accessible at Disney Springs.
Last edited by MardiGroggy on May 12th, 2017, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MardiGroggy

Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

MardiGroggy wrote:Sorry for any confusion I may have caused by mentioning the Royal Rooms at Riverside, but james69 did say that he has booked a standard room at French Quarter.
Good point! I've now edited my previous reply which was concerning Riverside. (I blame Steve too, it was nothing at all to do with me misreading the original post, honest! :) )

Andre
James69

Unread post by James69 »

Brilliant advice, I guessed the food court would be the best option, 6pm local time is 11pm UK time. I guess we won't spend too much time in the room, building seven looks good and a river view would have been nice, as too would have been a process room at RS, but there's always next time ;-)
MardiGroggy

The rooms are all pretty much the same once you get inside (except for the Royal Rooms). Most folks don't spend much time gazing out the windows anyway, so you are only really getting to enjoy the view on your way to and from. It would be different if the moderate resorts had balcony rooms, but they don't. Still you can wander anywhere on the grounds, no matter your room, so it is quite easy to enjoy a stroll along the river, relax on a bench, or ride the boats. Once the jet lag wears off, you'll be fine. Then you can check everything out for planning your next visit. :D
MardiGroggy

Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

I don't think the actual designation of room as standard will bother you in the slightest. You'll be mostly walking through lovely grounds to get there, and then at the last minute go out the back to your room.
My expectation would be to get checked in, find your room, and then see how you feel. If you're up to a wander round, then have one, if not go to bed. There are 2 schools of thought on this, one is to stay up late and "adjust!", but that leaves me knackered. I'm then awake about 3am US time staring at a wall wishing I coukld sleep. I prefer to go to bed on UK time, and sleep with my body clock. I then still wake up really early, quietly unpack and get sorted, I'm then ready for breakfast and park opening nice and early, but critically, I feel refreshed and rested.
As for your 4yr old, you "could" look at the bibbity bobbity boutique packages where they make the girls up as a princess. It's not for me as I don't like the style or price, but it's certainly aimed at that market and makes girls feel special.