First timer DisneyWorld!

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
Berry

First timer DisneyWorld!

Unread post by Berry »

Hey all,

Let me introduce myself, I'm David, 36 years old, Belgian and I love Disney, especially my all time favored Peter Pan. As a professional photographer in daily life, we postponed our trip to the USA for several years now due to work. 13 years and 3 kids later we were talking about it BUT now we finally made up our minds and booked our trip to DisneyWorld (July 2018)! Since we are from Belgium - Europe, we try to plan as good as we can plan it hah!

So we booked a 13 night stay at the Riverside. Why? Since it's our first visit to the World (and heck, even the USA!) we read good things about Port Orleans and it was a nice deal breaker the time we booked it (for European citizens at least --> free quick service dining plan, 200$ giftcard, free memorymaker, etc etc)

However, the misses and the kids likes the theming (on photo's/website's) better at Art of Animations but we would mis the free Quick Service Dining plan so thats also my great benefit doing Port Orleans Riverside. Our estimated budget cost at this moment is, plane included = 9000$, what isn't cheap but hey, you only live once so i've heard . If we would 'upgrade' to Animation's resort the budget would go up with 1750$. Is the upgrade price worth it?

We are used going to NewportBay in Disneyland Paris (we are annual pass holders in Disneyland Paris, its only a 2 hour and a half drive from Belgium).

And the most important thing is, what are the DO's and DONT'S at the Port?

Cheers in advance!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: First timer DisneyWorld!

Unread post by Admin »

The Newport Bay is closest in style to the Yacht & Beach Club at Disney World. And, like Port Orleans, the Disney aspect there is nowhere near as "in your face" as Art of Animation.

You don't say whether your comparison is between a suite at AoA or a Little Mermaid room, but I'm guessing a suite if the price is higher than POR. That gives you effectively two rooms and two bathrooms compared to the one at POR. POR is a lot more relaxed though, and I think you may find that after 100%-Disney all day in the parks, it's actually nice to come back to somewhere where Mickey isn't quite so obvious for the evening. :) There's a ton more info around this site and in the Galleries, so have a look and see what you think.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Berry

Unread post by Berry »

Hey Andre,

Cheers for your reply. Yeah, the only rooms available for a party of 5 are the suites (Nemo's family suite).

I'll have a look into the pictures and stuff. How"s the pool in comparison?

Thanks in advance!
Carolrita1

Unread post by Carolrita1 »

POR has 6 pools. There's the main pool, which I love, and there are 5 'quiet pools', if you like a more peaceful atmosphere. I can't really be objective here, because POR is my favorite resort, but I'm not crazy about AOA either. The decor at The under the sea pool is so dark. It seems a little depressing to me. Either way, you'll have a great time. It's the cast members that make your stay magical, and they're fantastic at all the resorts.
curseoftheninja

Unread post by curseoftheninja »

I've stayed at a few of the hotels on site, from value up to deluxe, and Port Orleans Riverside is my favorite.

The scenery is relaxing and beautifully manicured. Although there isn't a lot of Mickey, the grounds are great to walk through and explore.

Also, since you are from Belgium, this resort will give you a taste of old Southern architecture. It will be something new and different you haven't experienced before!

One downside (to some people...it has never bothered me or my wife) is that POR is spread out. This means it can be a longer walk to certain areas. Take advantage of the bus depot nearest your room. Sometimes the main depot is not the closest.

And I am not sure what it is like in Belgium, but in America you need to tip 20% when you eat at a sit-down restaurant. It's really annoying (I lived in Spain for a year and nobody tips there!), but waiters rely on tips for their income. Be sure to always tip!
Berry

Unread post by Berry »

curseoftheninja wrote:I've stayed at a few of the hotels on site, from value up to deluxe, and Port Orleans Riverside is my favorite.

The scenery is relaxing and beautifully manicured. Although there isn't a lot of Mickey, the grounds are great to walk through and explore.

Also, since you are from Belgium, this resort will give you a taste of old Southern architecture. It will be something new and different you haven't experienced before!

One downside (to some people...it has never bothered me or my wife) is that POR is spread out. This means it can be a longer walk to certain areas. Take advantage of the bus depot nearest your room. Sometimes the main depot is not the closest.

And I am not sure what it is like in Belgium, but in America you need to tip 20% when you eat at a sit-down restaurant. It's really annoying (I lived in Spain for a year and nobody tips there!), but waiters rely on tips for their income. Be sure to always tip!
Heya! Cheers for the heads up. I know we need to tip because a cousin of mine did a drive through USA a few years back hah. We are getting exited, stil 300 days to go though... :D #JulyCantGetHereFastEnough