Royal Guest Rooms

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
pjwilson83

Royal Guest Rooms

Unread post by pjwilson83 »

First post here - hi everyone! :mrgreen:

We are not long back from WDW and plan on booking up again for next year (got the bug now!)
We previously stayed at AoA and loved the over the top themeing but are seriously consider POR for next year due to all the good reviews we've read.
I know it won't be as over the top "Disney" as AoA was but we would like to book a Royal Guest Room as I'm sure our daughter (who'll be 8 at the time) will love the princess touches in the room etc.

So, I have a question about these rooms - are they worth the extra money? Are they fairly close to the dining halls and bus stops? (This doesn't actually bother us too much as we don't mind walking)
Also, I've seen various video tours of these rooms on Youtube. In the earlier videos, the room looks much better due to colourfully rich looking bedsheets. In the most recent videos the bedsheets are just plain white and look pretty boring.
I read somewhere that the bedsheets were discontinued last year - is this true? If so, why?

To be honest, the lack of colourful bedsheets wouldn't be enough to put us off but I just think it's a shame as the rooms look so much better with them.

Thanks in advance!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Royal Guest Rooms

Unread post by Admin »

Yes, I agree that the white bedsheets do detract from the Imagineered room theming, but that seems to be the way that Walt Disney World is going in general. They seem to be making their hotel rooms much more generic in order to fit in with current trends in the hotel industry, rather than making their rooms as special and unique as they used to be. That said, the Royal Rooms are still great fun and I'm sure your daughter will love it there.

One of the points of the Moderates is that they are a bit less brash and "in your face" in their Disney theming. Port Orleans for example is meant to evoke feelings of New Orleans and the post-antebellum US deep south, in much the same way that Frontierland is meant to evoke the western pioneering spirit. It is not meant to be wall-to-wall Mickey Mouse and the gang - after all, that's what the Magic Kingdom is for. :)

The Royal Rooms are in two buildings, Oak Manor and Parterre Place, which are located at one end of Port Orleans Riverside. Depending on where your room is located, you may find that either the South or East bus depots are closer to you. Royal Room Pool View category does not cost very much extra, and it guarantees you a fairly conveniently located room which is also near to a quiet pool too.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
pjwilson83

Unread post by pjwilson83 »

Hi Andre

Thanks for the very helpful post.

That's us all booked up for a Royal Guest room next year! :mrgreen:

Just one more question - when I was booking it I was only given the option to book either a standard view or a garden view (I assume river and pool views were sold out) so opted for a Garden view.
Will this still be in ok location close to the bus stops/main dining area?
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Are you going at a peak season time, that might be why some categories are not available.

Garden View rooms can be all around those two Royal buildings - basically anywhere except for parking lot views and River/Pool facing rooms. Some of the garden rooms at the far end of Parterre Place can be a bit of a stroll to get to anywhere, but even those areas are no more than 6-7 minutes' walk from either the main building or a bus stop.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -