Getting to other resorts in time for reservations

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
Doug0915

Getting to other resorts in time for reservations

Unread post by Doug0915 »

Hello Everyone!

We are arriving this week (October 7) for a week with my kids and are looking forward to it! (I've not been to Disney world since 1984...)

So since I procrastinated on my dining selections (we have the Deluxe dining plan) a lot of my reservations are at other Disney resorts. What is the best way to get from Port Orleans to the other resorts in time? Do people just use cars since using the shuttles would require going to the park and then getting on another hotel shuttle (and using lots of time)?

Also, how much time do people give themselves when they are deep in one of the parks to get back to a reservation at a restaurant in one of the other resorts?

Juggling fastpass+ and table reservations has been a bit of a headache, especially when I don't know how long it takes to get from anywhere in the parks back to Port Orleans or the other properties.

thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting to other resorts in time for reservations

Unread post by Admin »

The Disney bus system (see https://www.portorleans.org/buses.php) is good at getting you to and from the theme parks, but it takes rather longer to get to the other hotels as you need to change buses at either a park or Disney Springs. As a rule of thumb - to allow for the worst-case waiting and transit times - allow an hour from the resort to being inside a park (or vice versa) and nearer 90 minutes to transfer between hotels. It can be shorter of course, but you don't want to run the risk of being late for a meal reservation.

If you are tight on time, you might prefer to take a cab, Uber, or use the new Disney Minnie Van system (see https://www.portorleans.org/transportation.php).

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Doug0915

Admin wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 6:29 pm The Disney bus system (see https://www.portorleans.org/buses.php) is good at getting you to and from the theme parks, but it takes rather longer to get to the other hotels as you need to change buses at either a park or Disney Springs. As a rule of thumb - to allow for the worst-case waiting and transit times - allow an hour from the resort to being inside a park (or vice versa) and nearer 90 minutes to transfer between hotels. It can be shorter of course, but you don't want to run the risk of being late for a meal reservation.

If you are tight on time, you might prefer to take a cab, Uber, or use the new Disney Minnie Van system (see https://www.portorleans.org/transportation.php).

Andre
Interesting. I didn't know about the Disney Minnie Van system. Thanks for the information. I'll have to discuss with family our options. Of course there is always driving but who wants to drive! ;)
JohnB

Unread post by JohnB »

Hi Doug,

When we were there last Nov, the Mini vans were not yet available for all resorts, so what we did was take the bus to Disney Springs, then switch to the particular resort bus from there. The longest time we waited was 20 minutes. We love the boat ride, but since they have moved the bus stop in Disney Springs to the center area, bus to bus is the faster way from Port Orleans. If we had been able to use the Mini vans, we probably would have.
Doug0915

Thanks. It sounds like just piling everybody in the Van and driving is going to be the quickest way to get around without wasting time. I just want to make sure we make our reservations in time.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

If you'll have a car of your own with you, definitely use that - you're paying Disney $19 at day to keep it there, so you might as well get some value from it. Don't use it to travel to the Magic Kingdom theme park though, bus is better for that.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -