Royal Room for birthday--advice needed

General questions or comments about either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Need to know something that's not covered by the rest of the site? Ask here!
Forum rules
Please check out the FAQs Page before posting, in case your question has already been answered.
E-ticket-lizabeth

Royal Room for birthday--advice needed

Unread post by E-ticket-lizabeth »

Local AP-holder here, so we don't stay on property very often. DD turns 10 in April and Gram is getting us a night in a Royal Room to celebrate. I've booked a standard room, and DD thinks she likes the look of Oak Manor best. We really do like to have a pretty view when we walk out the door, and knowing us, we'll open our curtains for part of the day while we're there. We usually like an upper floor, and of course the 2nd window available in a corner room would be lovely. However, not many corner rooms are listed as standard view. I'd like some advice from the experts--should I just call reservations and explain this, or should I ask for a range of room numbers, or is there something else that would give us a better chance of getting a truly special room for DD's special weekend?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!

E-ticket-lizabeth
Florida native, returned to my Happy Place 7 years ago!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Royal Room for birthday--advice needed

Unread post by Admin »

Most of the Standard View rooms overlook the parking lots, so the views are nothing particularly special. Don't get me wrong, it's not like being in a mall parking lot, and there are still courtyards, trees and other vegetation around to make it more pleasant than just overlooking a strip of concrete, but the views are not going to be the best in the resort.

Personally, if you are paying the extra for a Royal Room anyway and want to spend some time enjoying it, I'd splash out the extra $8 or so for a River View or Pool View. The price difference is negligible in those categories; average nightly rate for Standard View Royal Room is $345, whereas Royal River or Pool Views are around $353. If you book River View and ask for a room directly overlooking the river, and ideally near to the footbridge leading to the main buildings (upper floor and corner rooms would be good requests too) then that would be just about perfect. Of course requests are never guaranteed, but there really aren't any bad river view rooms - and explaining it's a special birthday treat for a little princess will help. :) See also https://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php and https://www.portorleans.org/room-locations.php .

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

I remember seeing your webcam in one of those very same river view corner rooms upper floor a couple of years back :)

I'm not one to worry about views as I find the windows are not really conducive to being looked out of with lots of little panes and lots of curtain. If I'm going to come out and lean on the railing to take advantage of the view, I can walk a bit to where it's nice.
E-ticket-lizabeth

Unread post by E-ticket-lizabeth »

thanks! Unfortunately, the upgraded views are full, so we'll see where they put us. I've requested a room that looks out over a tree and the lawn, but I'm not too worried about it. We tend to use the view more for our lunchtime, when we'll open the door and curtains and pretend we have a balcony! I'll write up a weekend TR next week!