New site layout and improved navigation bar

Questions or comments about the operation of this site can be posted here. (For problems registering, please email via the 'Contact' menu)
Forum rules
This forum is for questions or comments about the operation of this site.
Admin
Site Admin

New site layout and improved navigation bar

Unread post by Admin »

As you'll have noticed, a new site layout is now live here at portorleans.org which should make navigation easier and better utilise screen space. I've not gone all Microsoft 'big square boxes' trendy, so the basic look and feel of the site should still be very familiar.

Everyone who checked out the test pages seemed 100% happy, and I found no further issues during testing - in fact, I think it works a lot better on many browsers than the old layout did, even on mobile devices which is a plus as it's not yet optimised for them. Please let me know if you have any problems on whatever esoteric browsers you normally use.

I do know about the overlap issue with embedded YouTube videos (for some reason the normal fix for this problem doesn't seem to be working) and a very minor menu-text formatting issue in Internet Explorer when you refresh a forum page (it loses the white shadows behind the navbar/header text) but otherwise it seems to be working well.

Update: Some Apple device users have been reporting problems via the Facebook page, so if you can't use the navigation bar please use the sitemap at www.portorleans.org/sitemap.php in the meantime.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
zabache

Re: New site layout and improved navigation bar

Unread post by zabache »

I'm still having problems clicking on the tabs at the top from my iPhone 5S. I click on them and while I have my finger over it I will see the pop up menu. Once I let go to click on something else it disappears.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Yes, I've pretty-much solved the iPad issue (although I needed to prevent the floating navbar feature that other users will see) but iPhones are still a problem. You should see a message offering alternative options in the meantime. Good old Apple, why use a perfectly good standard when you can invent your own?

Once I'm happy that the forums have an alternative layout (the "Mobile" style is now available for testing via the User Control Panel in the forums) I can start to work on a mobile version of the main site too (mainly for iPhone users).

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
RiverRooster

Unread post by RiverRooster »

Sitting at River Roost right now, iPad mini version looks great!
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

RiverRooster wrote:Sitting at River Roost right now, iPad mini version looks great!
Now that is just rubbing it in. :) (Hmm, I do hope that's an American phrase too!)

Hope you had a nice evening with Bob.

Andre
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Yes Andre, that is also the correct phrase for this side of the pond. And, I agree. But, after all, isn't that partly what we are here for: each of us using our own methods of saying "Wish you were here!" That's the way I look at it. Otherwise, I would have to think of it as a cruel gesture, designed to induce jealousy or envy, and none of us would want to do that. :mrgreen:

RiverRooster, I know you were thinking of us all as you were basking in the moment. I can feel it myself, even as I type this. I personally am a big fan of the comfy sofas next to the fireplace. Much less likely to collide with the younger crowd when Bob gets them up and running about. Enjoy, amigo!!!
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
RiverRooster

Unread post by RiverRooster »

It was the first chance to test the new format on a mobile device, I was just fortunate enough to have a great spot for testing.
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

FWIW, my iPhone is now working correctly with the navigation tabs. I noticed the change after the latest IOS upgrades. Unfortunately, the "upgrades" brought me other issues, but we celebrate our victories where we find them!
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Excellent, that's great to know.

Andre
The Sassagoula Sentinel

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

Test post to check some modified topmenu code...