Over 200,000 visitors to this site!

Questions or comments about the operation of this site can be posted here. (For problems registering, please email via the 'Contact' menu)
Forum rules
This forum is for questions or comments about the operation of this site.
Admin
Site Admin

Over 200,000 visitors to this site!

Unread post by Admin »

This morning, the visit count to the home page of this site clicked over the 200,000 mark after only about 2.5 years of operation. Not bad for a little one-resort tribute site!

OK, OK, I know that's not the more useful 'unique visitor' count, and I do have logs of that, but it's still a nice number. :D

Incidentally, in case anyone else but me cares, the site gets about 7,000-8,000 unique visitors per month (excluding bots and search engines) with about 12,000 separate visits. The server logs show about 500,000 pages are served every month. Generally, the Riverside pages get about 20% more hits than the French Quarter equivalents.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
debbiedunnit

Re: Over 200,000 visitors to this site!

Unread post by debbiedunnit »

Dear Admin - Thanks for such a great site! I used this site for planning my trips and I still visit it to keep up with Riverside. I hope to be able to return to Riverside again and I will be using this site all the way. Thanks again!
roadkill6772

Unread post by roadkill6772 »

I want to thank the admin for this site as well. It really helped me decide to go to POR this past May. I to still visit the site to see how everyone is doing on their trips. I also like to leave comments to help others to come to POR.

This site is very easy to use and gives you lots of info on Port Orleans.

So I hope this site continues and may more people use it.

Congrats on a great site.
disneygirl

Unread post by disneygirl »

Let me just add my compliments to your great site as well..
Well done peoples!! :D
First Visit to POFQ May 1995
Off site in Kissimmee June 1996 (never again)
POR nearly every year since although we did go to Wilderness Lodge one year which was also really nice.
Off site LBV this year 2011 (Wyndham LBV - was just OK but never again)
Disneyland Paris - too many times to count but prob about 20 (not a patch on WDW)
The hubby has been to Disneyland California but was too young to really remember much.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, I'm glad you find the site useful.

As I look around the net I keep wondering whether I should 'modernise' the look-and-feel of this site, make it more "web 2.0" with a generic fixed width bloggy-style layout, four or five different top/side menus and other navigation interfaces, facebook/twitter/etc links everywhere, ad boxes, and search-engine-optimisation text scattered around...

... however the more I think about it, the more I reckon that those sort of sites just pack in too much irrelevant content and complexity, which in the end makes them more difficult to navigate and to quickly find the specific information that you want. So for now I think I'm going to stick to good a old web 1.0 variable-width layout with a simple menu structure, and let the content and the genuine inbound links allow the search engines to place the site accurately, rather than trying to force them. So far, portorleans.org seems to be staying at the top, or at worst top-five results, for Google/Yahoo/etc for the most common searches anyway, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

What I do need to do is get around to uploading a whole load more photos though, and embed more pictures within the info pages, as I've got hundreds more here from recent trips! :oops: I'm open to other suggestions if there's anything you'd especially like to see here too.

A.
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
disneygirl

Unread post by disneygirl »

def don't change for Change Sake! Its great how it is..easy to navigate and find stuff...
It works for me just as it is.. 8-)
First Visit to POFQ May 1995
Off site in Kissimmee June 1996 (never again)
POR nearly every year since although we did go to Wilderness Lodge one year which was also really nice.
Off site LBV this year 2011 (Wyndham LBV - was just OK but never again)
Disneyland Paris - too many times to count but prob about 20 (not a patch on WDW)
The hubby has been to Disneyland California but was too young to really remember much.
UnlikelyDisFan

Unread post by UnlikelyDisFan »

Absolutely great news on the visitor count, congratulations, I think it speaks directly to your excellent work, and the care you obviously give to the site and subject.

I do think some small 2.0 updates (mobile device interfaces) might be nice but they certainly are not necessary.

I find the forums and news to be an excellent source for information on the resort. I would like however to see two things added that I know are not necessarily specific to Port Orleans, one would be in the news area keeping a listing of the current offers (and history) as such things as free dining are very attractive in decision making, and the second would be an additional forum on Disney Dining (I know not necessarily PO specific) but certainly could be useful to gain some more personal insight into the different offerings.

Any way around it, thank you very much for an excellent site and your efforts in making it so.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Thanks for the comments, I'll give some thought as to how I can better support mobile devices - need to do some reading up on how to detect them first, more "teach yourself PHP, I guess". LOL

Thanks for the other suggestions, but I don't think I want to expand on the forums at present. I'll add a few more pointers into the FAQ (which already covers dining by the way) but I made a very conscious decision with these forums that I would restrict them to Port Orleans conversations only, and try not to duplicate the plethora of other Disney trip planning sites (DIS, DIBB, etc) that already exist and do an excellent job. I'll try to mention offers that might help booking choices, but Disney make it so complicated that it's hard to keep up with them all - and again, other sites already do a great job in that area.

A.