News Updates: Fridges, Magic Bands, Refillable Mugs, etc

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

News Updates: Fridges, Magic Bands, Refillable Mugs, etc

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

Fridges: Both Riverside and French Quarter are now at around 40%-50% working fridges, after about 400 new units were installed at the initially worst-hit French Quarter. Specific medical requests are all being granted, but general requests are still being dealt with on a case-by-case basis (they are moving fridges around to try to help guests, but there are no guarantees at present). 500 more are expected at the end of August, which will make the situation easier again, and the remainder hopefully by early November.

"Rapid Fill" Mugs: The new RFID-chipped mugs started to be issued to new guests from today, but the equipment to enforce their use at the drinks dispensers won't be activated until 19th August. The chips are being activated as you buy them (there is a new device at the tills, which sets each mug up for its period of validity depending on which option you've paid for) so they should work immediately once the dispenser sensors are turned on. Existing guests won't be forced to swap their mugs when the system goes live next week as their mugs will already be active.

Riverside had orange, purple and green mugs today, but French Quarter hasn't got the green ones as yet. The new mugs can officially be refilled at any Disney resort hotel which has a beverage dispenser location, not just at your home resort.

Magic Bands: These should be coming fairly soon now (not quite this month though) and I'll be able to post more information, and hopefully some dates, when I get home from my Port Orleans vacation at the end of this week. I can confirm that Riverside will be first though, with French Quarter a month or two later.

French Quarter Lobby: Two new chandeliers are due to be installed over the next few weeks, and there will be new signage added above the desks soon too. As part of the refurbishment budget, the pianola player-piano at the side of the main atrium (near to Scat Cat's) was repaired and now periodically plays live music in the lobby.

Swimming Pool Life Jackets: Free kids’ life vests are now available at all pools across property, starting about a week ago. They are proving very popular already, as previously you had to request one from the Marina.

French Quarter Campfire Relocation: The firepit is being moved to the end of Beignet Square, the courtyard lawn located between buildings 5 and 6 where the evening movies are shown. Work is almost complete, and the switchover should be taking place in the next week or two. The previous river-view campfire location by building 6 will revert to a seating area, probably as a smoking area. Update: the new campfire location opened on Thursday 22 August.
Laurie

Re: News Updates: Fridges, Magic Bands, Refillable Mugs, etc

Unread post by Laurie »

I am arriving tomorrow (8/16) and will need a fridge for medication. Should I call today or wait until check-in?
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I would phone in advance if you can. Ask to speak to someone on-site at the resort, rather than just the call center who will answer your call.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

The new campfire location at French Quarter opened yesterday, 22 Aug.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

We were told no go on fridges (got back 27th) as it was a convenience not a medical need. We were close to the ice machine and bought a 3 dollar cool box, so we coped quite easily, though at times it was annoying.
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Refillable Mugs, it has to be said worked better than they did whilst on trial at All Star Sports (we were there in 2011 when they trialled RFID mugs)
After 12 months, I think most people will simply get used to this and accept they can no longer fraud the system as easily. without it causing floods of complaints.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Thorpy wrote:We were told no go on fridges (got back 27th) as it was a convenience not a medical need. We were close to the ice machine and bought a 3 dollar cool box, so we coped quite easily, though at times it was annoying.
Did you ask for any compensation? Many people who have asked/complained have been given a $15/night refund, but it's not automatic, you need to request it.

Andre
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Unfortunately not, we were more pargmatic, understanding it was not disneys fault that the fridges were faulty. We bought a coolbox for 3 dollars (most were about 6-7) from one of the local supermarkets and used that topped with ice. Our room was located close to the ice machine.
jkl2000

Unread post by jkl2000 »

Anyone have any updates on fridges at French Quarter since the last update? (Last mention of them seems to be from late September.)
Admin
Site Admin

Fridges

Unread post by Admin »

Latest fridge news as at 5 September 2013:

Port Orleans French Quarter was initially much worse affected than Riverside (due mostly to a lucky accident in the way that the Riverside refurb went last year). French Quarter had as many as 95% of rooms affected, while Riverside was closer to 50%-60% impacted.

A fairly recent delivery of 400 fridges all went to French Quarter, as the physical fit was better for the cupboard spaces there (I didn't actually know there was a difference in the enclosure sizes, but apparently there is). As of the start of August, that left both POFQ and POR with around 40%-50% of rooms having working fridges. The staff are regularly moving them around though to try to accommodate guests' medical requests as best they can, so a given room number may be okay one day and not the next.

The next delivery of 500 fridges went to French Quarter at the end of August, for the same reasons as above, so they are now at about 90%, with the remaining few rooms due to be completed within the next couple of weeks.

As of 5 Sept, Riverside currently remains at around 40%, with a small delivery due next week but no more likely for the next month or so after that.

They estimate that the whole project will be complete by around the start of November, but there are no firm dates.
jkl2000

Unread post by jkl2000 »

Thanks for that fast update! I'll be at the French Quarter in mid-October, so it sounds like I'm in the clear. :D
Jill757

Unread post by Jill757 »

We will be arriving at POFQ next week, October 15th. Any word on the fridge situation? We did not purchase a dining plan, expecting to have a fridge in the room...
Thanks
Rob1974

Unread post by Rob1974 »

any updates on the fridge in POR? visiting Nov 9 -15
shoemakers4

Unread post by shoemakers4 »

concerning the fridges... dont know the specifics, but when we checked in we had a request for a fridge due to a possible medical need. We were told that our room may or may not have a fridge, however, most rooms will and if its something needed (i.e. medical to survive!) then they will get you one! They are also suggesting using all the ice you need and will try to help out any way they can

In other words, it's not 100% yet at Riverside. But please Please PLEASE!!! If you don't need it don't beg for it! There are some families that cant survive without it.