Themed comforter bedspeads replaced with plain white sheets

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

Themed comforter bedspeads replaced with plain white sheets

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

The gorgeously detailed and themed comforter bedspreads which formed so much of the initial impact of that first moment when you walk into a Port Orleans guest room appear to have been removed. According to reports from current guests (in Alligator Bayou and French Quarter so far) there isn't even a "bed scarf" now (that strip of decorative fabric which some hotels place along the foot of their beds) to mitigate an otherwise clean & sterile expanse of 'hospital' white.

Before & After:
Image Image

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't think that a deeply themed and story-based environment such as Port Orleans is really the right place for the latest trendy fashionable hotel chain look. It also seems a real waste, given that the 3,000+ comforters were only a year or two old after the last refit.

What a shame, I feel that Disney really can (and did!) do better than this.

[Added 2-Nov] A new plain-look Royal Room bed (see DISboards thread)
With or without a runner at some future stage, still bland.

[Added 4-Nov] And not looking much better in Magnolia Bend. Probably the least impact so far though, as apart from the bedhead artwork the MB rooms are more lightly themed anyway:
(thanks for the photo John)
WyoDisney

Re: Themed comforter bedspeads replaced with plain white she

Unread post by WyoDisney »

Ack. I hope not. This sucks, Complain, complain, complain.
Trust in the Lord and lean not to your own understanding.

jkl2000

Unread post by jkl2000 »

Hard to believe this, after all the time I spent perusing the room photos on this site! And we arrive tomorrow! :cry:
shoemakers4

Unread post by shoemakers4 »

We were just there the first week of October. I'd hard pressed to believe this is a long term situation. Has there been any confirmations from housekeeping, management, or other? We were in the Acadia House and felt the room was already too simple (compared to Alligator Bayou and royale rooms). Honestly, the bedding and headboard "saved" it from being just another Red Roof Inn. An all white comforter and duvet would just be the WORST! HOWEVER!!! If they are more comfortable than I just might overlook it. Seems like those printed comforters were a little rough.
TooBoyz4us

Unread post by TooBoyz4us »

So, there will be WHITE comforters??
I guess the plus is that you will be able to see if they are clean........and they will be new for my trip :D

But I agree about it negatively affecting the general overall theming of the resort rooms.
herbandtez

Unread post by herbandtez »

perhaps scarves are to follow. i can't imagine the stark white is the final plan. the mermaid rooms have scarves on the beds and i like the look. maybe some little old ladies are taking those 3000+ bedspreads and making the scarves from them????????????
WyoDisney

Maybe it's a recall like the refrigerators. They catch fire if too much friction is involved :lol:

Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

herbandtez wrote:perhaps scarves are to follow. i can't imagine the stark white is the final plan. the mermaid rooms have scarves on the beds and i like the look. maybe some little old ladies are taking those 3000+ bedspreads and making the scarves from them????????????
Could be, I hadn't thought of that. But why not do it in smaller phases, taking them away in batches and replacing ASAP rather than desecrating all of the room themes at once?

I emailed the Room Inventory Manager late last night so hopefully I'll know more soon.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
herbandtez

I agree that if the scarves are planned, a few at a time would have been a better way to go. I look forward to hearing the answer to your inquiry. hubby and I check in on 11/30. thanks for keeping us in the know!
royhan

Unread post by royhan »

I wonder if there might be a fire risk issue here and that something has gone unusually wrong with Disney's normally meticulous planning. If that proves to be the case - and I am only surmising - then I wouldn't think Disney will admit it. Previous guests would be up in arms. I hope their is a perfectly plausible explanation.
MardiGroggy

Unread post by MardiGroggy »

Are these actually sheets (wouldn't think so), or comforters (maybe), or duvets (most likely)? There has been a lot of discussion in the travel world lately about the potential health issues with traditional hotel bedspreads that don't get laundered often enough. The trend is toward duvets, as they can be laundered easily and frequently, without having to clean the interior comforter as often. There is, of course, no reason they have to be white, but that seems to be the most common color. It would think that WDW would come up with Disney themed designs (Disney Duvets?), then roll out the changes. Wholesale removal of the old style bedspreads, for any reason, seems a bit drastic. I, too, will be interested to hear their explanation...if they offer any.
MardiGroggy
Aka: Steve

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
royhan

Unread post by royhan »

It is several days since Andre emailed the Inventory Manager for an explanation, but it doesn't appear as if he's had a reply. Has anyone seen an advert for a new Inventory Manager? :lol: :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Sorry, I did get a reply, forgot to update here (too busy trying to keep up with 12+ pages on the DISboards thread in the last few days!)

Basically the all-white covers are here to stay, in all room types (even Royal). :( There will be a coloured (hopefully themed like the current covers) bed scarf for the bottom of all the beds, which are due to arrive in about a month's time. The main cover will be basically a much thinner, plain white cover which can be washed between each guest.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Rob1974

Unread post by Rob1974 »

crappy but will not damper my trip one bit. i don't plan on spending much time in the room...as long as the room is clean, i'm happy
WyoDisney

Admin wrote:Sorry, I did get a reply, forgot to update here (too busy trying to keep up with 12+ pages on the DISboards thread in the last few days!)

Basically the all-white covers are here to stay, in all room types (even Royal). :( There will be a coloured (hopefully themed like the current covers) bed scarf for the bottom of all the beds, which are due to arrive in about a month's time. The main cover will be basically a much thinner, plain white cover which can be washed between each guest.

Andre
What happened to look before you leap? You think they could think something through better.

MardiGroggy

New headline for the Sassagoula Times:

Disney Re-Imagines Bedspreads...Comes Up Blank! :shock:
MardiGroggy

Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

swd wrote:New headline for the Sassagoula Times:

LOL! That's going on the site header! :)

Andre
herbandtez

i am really glad the scarves will lend some color, but frankly, I think a lot of people will feel better to know their bedding is freshly laundered when they check into their room. I know I was always a bit squeamish about those dark colored bed spreads and how frequently they were cleaned. :?:
WyoDisney

swd wrote:New headline for the Sassagoula Times:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Awesome. :D

Buckeev

Unread post by Buckeev »

This stinks. Come on Disney...What's next...stainless steel toilets? Community showers? :roll:
bettyfinn

Unread post by bettyfinn »

I just returned home from a stay at Port Orleans Riverside and I must say, I was taken aback by the white "comforters". I typically don't get upset about things like that but I really felt like it took away from the theme of the room. The new comforters are extremely thin. I imagine they will get dirty fairly easily. It would be better if they were a solid color, rather than bright white. It didn't detract from our stay there or anything but my husband and I both made comments upon arrival. It just seemed out of place.
MardiGroggy

Certainly the new bed covers will make for easier laundering, and hopefully a healthier room environment. That still doesn't explain why they didn't come up with something more attractive and Disney themed. One wonders because of the suddenness of the change if there wasn't a health issue with a guest (or guests) that precipitated this. Disney, of course, wouldn't be making any announcements about such things, but I would expect that they would err on the side of caution if something was brought to their attention.

As I said in an earlier post, the hospitality industry in general is addressing the "germ" sources in guest rooms, so it isn't just a Disney thing. I recently stayed at a Lowe's resort and it had a plain white duvet on the bed. We had a great view from our balcony, so I didn't spend much time looking at the bed covering. The last few times I've stayed in other non-resort hotels the beds also had duvets rather than traditional "bedspreads."

We'll be spending the Thanksgiving weekend at POR and I'm certain that we will find many visually attractive things to distract us from the bland bed covers. On the other hand, an empty hole where the fridge should be...... :(
MardiGroggy

jgnt

Unread post by jgnt »

Have all of the Royal Rooms bedspreads been replaced with the white bedding? We will be arriving in a couple weeks and I wondered if all of them had been done, or if they were still in the process of switching them out. Thanks!!

[Double-post removed--- Admin]
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

They are in the process of removing all the bedspreads at the moment, and the process should be complete in the next week or two. :(

Andre
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

A new plain-look Royal Room bed (see DISboards thread). With or without a bed scarf / runner at some future stage, still bland. :(

Andre