July 2016 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

July 2016 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

The July 2016 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules for Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter are now available. See the main Recreation Activities Schedules page for full-size printable PDF versions.

The main feature swimming pool hours are 9am—11pm for the rest of the summer, including the new children’s Aquatic Play Area at Port Orleans French Quarter. The evening campfires will commence at 6:30pm this month and the Movies Under the Stars will be screened at 9:00pm, with both activities still occurring on alternating days at the two resorts — Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday at Riverside, and Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday at French Quarter. Other daily recreation activities seem to be somewhat reduced from previous months, or perhaps they are just not yet fully itemised?

Update: The reason for the calendars looking so sparse this month is that the resort is testing out a new system for poolside activities. The activities Cast Members will now be able to pick and choose games that are more relevant to the guests who are in the pool at that time, as opposed to a more structured fixed schedule grid. The campfires are also operating for an extra half-hour per day

July 4th (Independence Day) activities at Port Orleans Riverside (Ol’ Man Island Pool)
11:00am Beach Ball Blast
11:30am Water Balloon Games
12:00pm Red, White and Blue Relays and Races
12:30pm Mickey Tie-Dye ($)
2:00pm Patriotic Pool Party
3:00pm Stars and Stripes Scavenger Hunt
3:30pm Ice Cream Drop
4:30pm Water Balloon Games
5:00pm Star Spangled Dance Party
6:30pm Patriotic Campfire, on Ol’ Man Island
8:30pm Movie Under the Stars: Zootopia, in the courtyard by Oak Manor

July 4th (Independence Day) activities at Port Orleans French Quarter (Doubloon Lagoon Pool)
11:00am Beach Ball Blast
11:30am Mickey Tie-Dye ($)
12:30pm Red, White and Blue Relays and Races
1:00pm Watermelon Eating Contest
2:00pm Patriotic Pool Party
3:00pm Stars and Stripes Scavenger Hunt
3:30pm Water Balloon Games
4:30pm Revolutionary Hula Hoop Games
5:00pm Star Spangled Dance Party

Live Evening Entertainment

No visit to Port Orleans Riverside would be complete without spending an evening in the company of the legendary "Ye Haa" Bob Jackson at the River Roost Lounge, playing 8:30pm—midnight four nights a week (Weds—Sat). Note: Bob will be on vacation from 29 August until 6 Sept.

Port Orleans French Quarter’s Scat Cat’s Club does not currently have official resident musicians, but filling the gap admirably are Jason Thomas and Billy Varnes, two members of the fabulous Off Kilter rock band which used to perform in Epcot’s Canada pavilion. Their dates are only announced a month or so in advance (generally most Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays) but if you happen to be around for any of their evenings (8:30pm—11:30pm) do yourself a favour and pop along, they are highly recommended. July 2016: 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18, 19, 23, 24, 25, 26 & 31.C'mon Disney, Jason & Billy certainly deserve a permanent contract if anyone does!

HappyGal

Re: July 2016 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules

Unread post by HappyGal »

Where are the evening movies shown at each resort? I'd prefer to find a room away from these areas as we go to bed very early.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

HappyGal wrote:Where are the evening movies shown at each resort? I'd prefer to find a room away from these areas as we go to bed very early.
As it says on the information sheet, at Riverside the movies are shown on the courtyard lawn outside Oak Manor, and at French Quarter they are on the lawn area between buildings 5 and 6.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

Beware of critters on the lawn.... we saw rabbits which were nice..I didn't see the bugs that eat me though. I did fall asleep there for a while in the middel of Mulan, so that might not have helped me realise I was being attacked.
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Yes, definitely apply some deet-based repellent before sitting out on the grass, as my daughter will confirm!

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -